• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not sure if I can cope.

chrissy100

I am due to have my balloon done on Thursday 4th Oct. I am having done by a general due to a problem. But I now don't have anyone to be at home with me afterwards, I have been let down.

I am a bit of a baby when it comes to not feeling well. I always like to have someone with me. This is not going to be any different..... I am thinking of canceling having it done. I was feeling stressed enough without this happening. I feel so childish, but I suffer with depression and that seems to be kicking in again at the moment. Don't know if I can cope with it all on my own. :cry:

Oh dear that's a shame to cancel. Could you speak to your GP to see if they could suggest some other support for you for when you get home.

I've not had balloon so am unable to offer advice re what you can expect to feel like afterwards.

Hope you can go ahead

Take care xx

I know someone who had a balloon. She vomited for a few days afterwards, but could still function around the house etc, as its not technically a surgical procedure. Yes, you'll be sick, but you should be fine otherwise! I wouldnt cancel now! Have it then sort out the issues afterwards!

Is there anyway you're able to remain in the hospital or place you're having it done for a little longer instead of then being at home on your own?

Yes come on Chrissy, you can do this, there was ayoung girl in when I was in she had the baloon she was never actually sick just kept feeling like it and recthin g for the first efw hours other than that she was fine, only stayed in hospital because she was in Sunderland and lived in Bishop Auckland, too far incase she felt bad later on. You will be fine. Just start each day counting your blessings, find 10 things each morning to be thankful for write them down and think about them there are lots of things to be thankful for, I think a lot of us have or have had depression in our lives, and also looked after someone who is suffering from depression, this is your chance to do something special for YOU, don't waste it, wish I wasn't at work I would have come and sat with ya bit. xx Just keep talking to people, fear can be a terrible thing and manifests itself in many ways too. Come on Chrissy you can do this. xx

Hi Chrissy
Please dont panic ..
When i had my balloon i was only in hospital for a day, i felt ok when i come out just not allowed to carry bags out of hospital..
First few days i was on fluids, was sick a couple of times where i gulped fluid and not sipped. Got a bit of trapped wind, in my neck/shoulder of all places:confused:..

Is there a friend who could pop into see you??

Nicky xx

I know someone who had a balloon. She vomited for a few days afterwards, but could still function around the house etc, as its not technically a surgical procedure. Yes, you'll be sick, but you should be fine otherwise! I wouldnt cancel now! Have it then sort out the issues afterwards!

It's the vomiting that worries me. I have arthritis and already can't move about very fast. But I also had a fall 3wks ago and damaged my knee. So if I think I am going to be sick, there is no way I am going to make it to the bathroom, even using my walking sticks! Plus if I try too hard to get there, I could end up falling again.

I know it is just me going into panic mode, but I was so happy about having this done until now.

Is there anyway you're able to remain in the hospital or place you're having it done for a little longer instead of then being at home on your own?

I doubt if that can be done. They are always short of beds at the best of times. I could ask though. x

Yes come on Chrissy, you can do this, there was ayoung girl in when I was in she had the baloon she was never actually sick just kept feeling like it and recthin g for the first efw hours other than that she was fine, only stayed in hospital because she was in Sunderland and lived in Bishop Auckland, too far incase she felt bad later on. You will be fine. Just start each day counting your blessings, find 10 things each morning to be thankful for write them down and think about them there are lots of things to be thankful for, I think a lot of us have or have had depression in our lives, and also looked after someone who is suffering from depression, this is your chance to do something special for YOU, don't waste it, wish I wasn't at work I would have come and sat with ya bit. xx Just keep talking to people, fear can be a terrible thing and manifests itself in many ways too. Come on Chrissy you can do this. xx

I know that I may not be sick Chrisa, it's just the thought of it happening.

Depression can effect you in different ways. No one can ever fully understand what you are feeling.

Thank you Chrisa for your kind words. xox

Hi Chrissy
Please dont panic ..
When i had my balloon i was only in hospital for a day, i felt ok when i come out just not allowed to carry bags out of hospital..
First few days i was on fluids, was sick a couple of times where i gulped fluid and not sipped. Got a bit of trapped wind, in my neck/shoulder of all places:confused:..

Is there a friend who could pop into see you??

Nicky xx

Hi Nicky.

I have only lived in Darlington for about 18 months and with not working I don't know that many people. Plus not everyone knows I am having it done. The one's that do know, work and have families, so I wouldn't dream of asking them to call round.

I hope all goes well with you and that you lose lot's of weight. :) xx

Hi Chrissy

Why not give Cheryl (Bariatric Nurse) a ring and tell her your concerns. She seems very friendly and I'm sure she has plenty of experience helping those having doubts about this type of procedure.

Hi Chrissy,
I had a balloon earlier this year at Sunderland. Was in overnight, vommed during the night twice - ask them to leave one of those cardboard dishes by your bed. You can get anti nausea meds too - they expect that you will be sickly.

In the morning I had half a yogurt and brought that up within the hour, but was ok by the time I went home. Got home and was sick once at home - OH had gone to a footie match so I was on my own - I just got comfy on the couch and snoozed a bit. Kept a bucket by my chair in case of emergencies but I get a 'tell' before I throw up - my mouth starts to water really bad, so I know as soon as that starts to make my way to a bowl or basin. Its the retching thats the worst - nothing much comes up just foam really as you don't have any food in your tum. I had a bit of nausea before it, then nothing. You should come home with some anti-nausea pills to help - I only took mine for two days. I think I had a pretty standard reaction to the procedure, so try not to worry too much.

How are you getting home - you will need someone to drive you - ask them to bring a bowl and old towel with them for your journey home.

I agree with the suggestion of asking at your GP surgery to see if a nurse can do a home visit once your back home.

Hope all goes well...

Oh hune try and be brave plan ahead as much as you can do a.shop online before u go in. Get a bowl or bucket to be sick in save trips to bathroom hune I feel your depressuon May get worse If u dont take this. Take each day One at a time; talk to your provider. Think.how u will feel when u r slim next summer. Try I am sure its,Just last minute nerves. You can do this hune!

If you ask them for a couple of sick bowls to take home with you I'm sure they won't mind just let them know your situation xx

Thank you to everyone who has commented. I don't feel quite so alone now.

Mr97.... I rang Sheryl. She was very nice, tried to put me at ease and stop me from panicking, They won't keep in any longer than the one night, just because I have no one at home. But, I can ask one of the nurses to arrange a volunteer car to take me home.

I have now sorted out a lift into hospital. So at least that is all sorted.

Thank you for your support. I means a lot to me with having no one here to talk to about it.

Chrissy xxx

If you ask them for a couple of sick bowls to take home with you I'm sure they won't mind just let them know your situation xx

I didn't think of that...I will now be asking for some...Lol.

Thank you. xx

Good to hear things are getting sorted and that you are feeling a bit more positive.

I have a children's potty with a lid, which is great if vomiting.

Fingers crossed you'll be fine.

Looking forward to hearing of your progress.

Take care xx

Oh hune glad u feel a little better. Try and keep.Busy in meantime. Make a shopping.list for.stuff to take.to.hospital. list for.post op.food. keep.busy plan a day out anything to.keep.busy hune. Were all.here for you. You can do this hune. Keep us posted.

Back