• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

balloon inserted!! yeay

heatherE

hi guys. has my balloon put in a week ago, and to be totally honest was not prepared for how i was gunna feel afterwards!!! i vomitted for 5 days :jelous:, had to have all sorts of iv meds, and felt like it was never gunna stop :cry:, but eventually it has. and am feeling lots better :), already lost over half a stone, but thats not surprising, i hadn't ate for 5 - 6 days!! not the most pleasant procedures to have done, but if needs must ?

thats great Heather :) good luck :) xxx

Not the best of starts, but a massive good luck for you contained weight loss :D

Hi Heather - good luck with the balloon - I've had mine in since Feb and still feel really good - still got restriction; rarely hungry; more engergy to get up and do stuff.... yes, not the best 20 minutes of my life having it put in but boy its been worth it so far! I'd lost 8kg in the first month - miracle for me... waiting til I see Kim in May for my next weigh in but I've gone down a couple of sizes on top and from size 30 to 28 on the bottom - have been a 30 on bottom for 20 years.

Are you having balloon prior to surgery? Sunderland seem to be doing this quite a bit now.

Its a silicone ball that is inflated in your tummy with saline solution. It's inserted through the mouth - usually under light sedation. Its not very pleasant to have done, but only takes around half and hour - some people stay overnight in hospital. Some people have nausea/sickness for a few days - my sickness passed pretty quickly thankfully - but some can go for months feeling or even being sick.

The idea is that once its inflated it takes up room in your stomach so that you can't eat as much as you used to. Its usually in place for six months ('Spatz' balloons stay in one year) and then has to be removed as it will start to disintergrate because of stomach acids. You need to eat sensibly/healthily with the balloon otherwise you won't lose much weight. Its not a permanet solution and you can regain weight once the balloon's removed, but a lot of people have them to see how they go with restriction, or to lose a little weight to make surgery to safer for them, or to get into good eating habits.

Back