• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not too long now

Hi everyone and happy new year!

My big day is next month and I've already begun preparing for it. Having my bypass done privately in Manchester Spires hospital, quite some distance away from home as I live in Dundee but luckily my mother will be driving me. I booked the hotel for my mum.

I quit smoking several days ago in preparation (cold turkey) and will begin my pre-op diet at the start of next month as per the hospitals instructions, until then.. I've been scoffing my face with all things nice (it was Xmas after all! Hehe) and enjoying the little time left of eating unhealthily. I quit smoking originally at the start of last year but began again 4 or so months ago.

I've been having second thoughts about whether I should go through with the op or not - feel like I haven't done enough to loose the weight on my own. I've lost some weight just by starting smoking again, maybe a stone in 4 months without even trying but will obviously put that back on having quit again.

My heart says I should cancel it and try dieting again, with more dedication and motivation while loosing pounds slowly. My head says screw it, just go for it and enjoy a slimmer and happier life more quickly for the rest of my days.

Decisions decisions! :break_diet:

Hi there! I live just outside Edinburgh, and had my surgery almost 4 weeks ago at Spire in Edinburgh. Why are you going to Manchester?

I worried whether I had tried hard enough to lose weight on my own, but as I have diabetes I now gave access to my records and my weight spoke for itself! Plenty of ups and downs.

Since I started the journey I have lost 2 stone, and am so excited about losing more. It is not easy, I didn't realise how difficult it would be to re-educate myself to eat small portions slowly etc. But I have recovered well from the op.

Take care

Crackers x

welcome to the group... can i first say well done with the quitting the smoking, that is the best thing ever!!
i had thougts just like you, i lost 2 stone pre-op then thought hey i can do this on my own... but truth be told i knew i could lose weight, but beng a yoyo dieter... i would always lose a few stone then 6 months later put it back on plus more... and i was never gonna get out of that cycle. and that cycle took me to 24 stone and a bmi of 63.
Only you can make the decision of having the op or not... but read all the posts yuill find so many inspirational people with no regrets at all.. i dont have any..in fact i think the op.. and im only 5 weeks post op..has saved my life xx

They said Manchester is the closest place I can have it done, I'm with The Hospital Group. Don't mind too much, always wanted to go shopping in Manchester anyway so I can do that after my op and get some new clothes. :D

I've been a yoyo dieter all of my life too, any weight I loose comes back with a vengeance.

They said I needn't worry too much about loosing weight prior to the op, just as long as I try shrink my liver and the preop diet will do just that. Will they cancel the op if my BMi falls below 40?

Hi there and welcome,

I was banded with THG at Dolan Park and I don't think they would cancel. If you were nhs and fell below the pct criteria they may but private they are not so bothered.

Sharon

Back