• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

wls and smoking

Stinie

Hi all

Was wondering if anyone knew whether smoking is an issue in regards to wls?

I smoke (unfortunately) and just want to know if I should be preparing myself to stop smoking if and when I get my wls?

I know, I know - I should just stop either way and I will at some point but would be good to know if I face having to battle 2 addictions at once (smoking and food) in case the docs tell me I must stop smoking as well.

Does/did anyone else on here smoke? Have you quit or are you going to? How did you find it?

xx

Hi Stinie, I don't smoke but when I was at my seminar earlier this week the surgeon made it quite clear that he would not operate on anyone who was a smoker, he stressed the risk was to high with regards to dvt and pe's as they are the main factors of mortality in bypass surgery. I know all hospitals/surgeons are different but I think this one may be a consistent rule. Sorry not trying to scare you. x

maybe I need a good scare to get me to quit lol

seriously though its good to know as I don't want my smoking to be the reason I wouldn't be accepted for surgery.

xx

I hear the same, i too am not smoker but I hear it been said its a big concern
I think someone on here has given up as well but cant recall her name.
good luck in all you wish for

I will definitely have to find the will power to quit smoking by the sounds of it - lack of will power seems to be my main problem in life lol anyone know where you can get some more? ebay? argos? anyone?

xx

thanks :) I will definitely have to find the will power to quit smoking by the sounds of it - lack of will power seems to be my main problem in life lol anyone know where you can get some more? ebay? argos? anyone? xx

I hear woolworths is pretty good :) x

Yes hunni u will have to give up them fags LOL I'm assuming your NHS route. My surgeon basically said ....give up today or your not on the list!! here i am over a year down the line and still a non smoker... its the best thing i've done, apart from the op of course :)x x x

yeah hopefully NHS will accept me (fingers crossed)

I better start getting my head used to the fact that I'll be quitting smoking then lol I have done it before so I know I can do it again - the trick is to keep not smoking lol

It's very similar to losing weight in that way. You lose weight/stop smoking, all is well until you gain weight again or start smoking again. It's a lifelong battle...

Ok so the new me will be slimmer AND smoke-free :)

ooooh I wish the NHS would hurry up and get me closer to my new me! cooooooomeeeee oooooooooonnn! I am so ready for this - now please :)

It's good to know that there are people like you who have done so well :) makes me a bit jealous though lol

oooo one day someone might be jealous of me lol

xx

Thank you sweets :) its all determination and hard work, and yes you will be here soon and everyone will be drop dead jealous :) x x x

can't wait :) xx

Hey
I'm a smoker and smoked all the way up to the day of surgery I had a ciggy about 4 hours before op and usually I'm a nightmare coming out of general anaesthetic but this time it was perfect dr didn't mention anything to me about smoking unlike Others I have come across in nhs all he asked was how many a day. Personally I never have worried about smoking as they know what there doing and you know your not the unhealthier person they've probs operated on previous. It's personal choice!
Hope this helps xx

I smoked up until last xmas, when I switched full time to e-cigarettes (vaping). My surgeon won't operate on smokers.

You might want to look into e-cigarettes/vaping as a way to quit. Just don't get the ones that look like cigarettes, most people don't have success with them!

Thanks for your replies :)

After much consideration I have decided to quit smoking. I have set my stop date for the 14th of October. I figured it would be easier to stop now rather than later if I have my surgery. I want to be able to have all my focus on my new relationship with food and I don't need my smoking habit to get in the way. Also it makes more sense in regards to a possible weight gain after quitting the fags. Don't want my post op weight loss to slow down or stop or even gain a bit!

Quitting smoking and (hopefully) having wls - I'm gonna be so flippin healthy lol

Thanks again for your replies x

Back