• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Swallowing tablets

Just over three weeks post op and I started on Champix yesterday to help me finally quit smoking. My blooming useless doctor wouldn't prescribe them so I was forced to get a prescription from a private GP.

The tablets itself is about half the size of my pinky finger nail but soon as I take it, I get bad tummy pain for 5-10 minutes. Will it be like this for the rest of my life whenever I take any sort of tablets?

Also, do tablets still get digested in to your system as before or has that changed?

On a happier note, I weighed myself today and discovered I've gone in to the 17 stone range. I was 19.58 at the start of this month and 17.91 as of today. A massive boost to my confidence. OH and my manboobs are disappearing, I'm just like a small inconspicuous A cup now :D

Hi

The pill may be getting stuck, that might account for the pain, are a solid pill or capsual, you will need to take a lot of water with each pill to help them dissolve faster as you new pouch does not contain the amount of acid that your stomach did before surgery.

Paul

Yep i need to drink plenty of water my vitamin capsules are huge and i ahve anti histamines and i have now finished the gall stone preventer tablets and my lansoprazole and one littl eiron tablet i ahve them lined up on a morning thank goodness the calcium tablet is chewable xx

Do you guys have to take the FasTab long term? I was given them by the hospital although I'm not entirely sure if I need to stay on them long term. There's been a couple of days where I have forgotten to take any and have been just fine. Think I'm down to my last couple.

Remember the Chamix itself can give you tummy discomfort and a feeling of nausea - stick with it, 12 weeks is such a short time really and to be cigarette free at the end of it will be fantastic for your health. Only time will tell if all tablets give you discomfort.
It's absolutely disgusting your GP would not give it to you - They are now recommended first line by most PCT's - on what grounds did he decline you? I would go to your local Smoking Cessation group, they will probably continue with the scripts for you.
Good luck
xxx

Remember the Chamix itself can give you tummy discomfort and a feeling of nausea - stick with it, 12 weeks is such a short time really and to be cigarette free at the end of it will be fantastic for your health. Only time will tell if all tablets give you discomfort.
It's absolutely disgusting your GP would not give it to you - They are now recommended first line by most PCT's - on what grounds did he decline you? I would go to your local Smoking Cessation group, they will probably continue with the scripts for you.
Good luck
xxx

After I discussed my bypass with him, I asked him about champix but he said I should perhaps try patches first. I told him I've tried patches and he just replied "oh well, maybe you should try them again". He also criticised my decision to have a bypass. Needless to say, I'll be making sure they don't give me an appointment with him in future. Almost tempted to write a complaint.

Lloyds Pharmacy do an online private GP service so I requested the champix from them to get me started as quick as possible. Got the champix on the same day I ordered so it was pretty fast although bloody expensive at £50 for 2 weeks supply.

I wasn't aware the smoking cessation group would be able to give out champix. I thought it was just patches. I'll pop there next week and see if they can continue the prescriptions.

Bloody doctors get me mad,all they are interested in is budgets.FGS if you carry on smoking you will get more smoke related illness!
I would have breakfast and take the tabs with that,that way it will sit on the food and stay in your tum longer.

Hi

My hospital said I was to take the FasTab for 8 weeks.

Re patches when you tried them before did you start on the high dose ones, if not it might be worth trying them again, as for the ones you are on now costing £50 for a 2 week supply, how much where you spending on cigarettes, if on 20 a day as most smokers claim you was spending about £42 a week so £50 every 2 weeks is starting to look quite good value. I gave up a 60 a day habit on the day Dennis Healy put them up to a £1 a packet, I don't know how anyone can afford them now at about £6 a packet. Mine you I never understood how I had the will power to just stop a 60 a day habit just like that but never had enough willpower to diet.

Paul

If you take your champix with a pro biotic drink like Actimel the sick feeling is lessened. Good luck with giving up, whatever it costs you it will be cheaper in the long run, my stepson paid £7.20 this evening for his cigs and my nephew paid £7.90. A ridiculous amount of money!

Back