• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nurse "check up" and bandfill booked

top_kat

Today I am day 5 post op, and still been having a bit of a struggle with amounts of liquid etc on this liquid stage.

Thankfully I was due my check up by phone from the nurse today, and she called about 15 mins ago. I explained to her the issues I am having, that if I have say a glass of milk or like 50g (half pot) of yoghurt like I had this morning, that I am then full all day and can't even take on fluids.

She told me to avoid dairy, to give the milk and yoghurt, fromage frais etc a miss at this point and to make sure that Im getting fluids on board. So I am to stick to juice, NAS squash, tea, coffee, water and then try again in a few days with skimmed milk as its thinner and go from there.

I did buy some Actimel in Tescos today as they had a mixed fruit one on offer and I've never tried it, had a sip earlier and it seemed ok cos it was much thinner. Thankfully I treated myself to various juices today too :)

I explained its a very strange feeling to feel so bloated and full on half a pot of yoghurt and then not to get anything else down. The thought however of food makes me heave. I took some home made soup out of the freezer when I came home, planning to have it. Even taking the lid off before I even smelt it I was heaving. The thought of food literally turns my stomach.

When I was in Tescos, they had half a side of salmon on offer at half price (£10) so it does 10 portions of 100g, so I treated myself and froze it for when I can venture onto mash foods.

But, I also have booked my first bandfill today . . .27th Sept at 5 weeks post surgery.

Its on my 40th birthday LOL she said I could postpone if I wanted, as I would have to go back to liquid only. I said I didn't want to, because personally, this is a long term thing and it also gets me out of the birthday meal :)

So, my first bandfill will be a birthday pressie :) my life is beginning at 40 . . .I hope that by then, I may even have managed to get below my 300lb mark . . now that would be great :) (its my first mini target)

So feeling relieved that I don't have to fit in the portions of liquids etc that my provider said I should be, and also relieved that I can have juice and water etc until I dont suffer with the dairy.

wooooohooooo :)

All sounding positive Kat, and nice early appointment for a band fill. My first fill is on 7 September. You seem to have a much stronger version of the early days food aversion that I had. Mine was as much about not fancying anything than anything else - I could manage it, just didn't want it. So please life is beginning at 40 for you, I am just hoping to be a target and maintaining for my 50th in July 2014!! Tracey xxx

Sounds good Kat, We will be fab in our forties together.

I am 38 but intend to be completley fabulous at 40!

Hence the name Fab40!

keep going, you certainly keep me going

Jane x

sounds great kat im the same about food smells but finding chicken dinners puried lovely as im on puried stage as out hospital says only 4 days liquid i also have to fit.in 1 pint of milk hard work it is and 2 litres of water not managing 2 litres though but getting 4 small bottles of water in

It is just hard to get your head around that last week pre op I was drinking 3 pints of milk on my pre-op diet, and now I drink 50mls and I feel so full I can't then take anything on for the rest of the day LOL

Called into MacD's with my son for a treat yesterday, and the smell of the fries was the only thing so far that hasn't turned my stomach. Everything else, as soon as I smell it, my stomach is turning and blegh. . . .

Have got some odd muscle pain / pins and needles in my left arm today tho, feels as if I've led funny or have a tingling nerve . . .

i had pins and needles give us both another week think.we will feel loads better x

Hey top_kat

I had the same feeling as you the smell of everything knocked me sick but mine only lasted a few days really hope it settles really soon for you so u feel a bit more normal and get a bit of appetite back. My surgeons secretary called today and offered me my 1st band fill on friday i will only be 2 wks 3 days post op but she assured me mr li wouldnt do it if he didnt think it was safe for him to do so still feel a bit weird about it as ive seen how long other people have to wait for one : / just noticed we share the same birthday too : ) my gastric band was my birthday present from my parents haha! Have u weighed urself yet? If not how far in r u going too? Charlie xx

My first fill isn't until October... :-( (banded 14th august same as Charlie)
Got a check up in 2 wks but said it's unlikely they will fill my band...
keep going top kat your appetite will return but enjoy the feeling for now lol :p
I had some chilli tonight half blended as official start is tmr for mushy food... omg it tasted like heaven and I was like you for the first few days... half an actimel and a sip of coffee all day!! Lol x

Thats why im feeling a bit weary about having a fill so soon as other ppl are told they need to wait 5 weeks! I am feeling hungry and tht i could eat more than i an doing but making sure im still keeping to small portions, i think im going to ring my nurse in the morning and double check its ok to do it this soon! Xxx

Hey top_kat

I had the same feeling as you the smell of everything knocked me sick but mine only lasted a few days really hope it settles really soon for you so u feel a bit more normal and get a bit of appetite back. My surgeons secretary called today and offered me my 1st band fill on friday i will only be 2 wks 3 days post op but she assured me mr li wouldnt do it if he didnt think it was safe for him to do so still feel a bit weird about it as ive seen how long other people have to wait for one : / just noticed we share the same birthday too : ) my gastric band was my birthday present from my parents haha! Have u weighed urself yet? If not how far in r u going too? Charlie xx

Im hoping it will ease off, I feel better today as I've not yet had any dairy so that bloated feeling has gone, still no appetite but thats ok :)

I weigh in on thursdays so will do a proper weigh in tomorrow, but I also do a sneaky peak on a monday morning to see how I am doing midway through the week, I had surgery last thursday and on monday weigh in I'd lost about a further 5lbs, so will be interesting to see what it is tomorrow a full week from surgery :)

But I weigh in weekly, measure monthly :)

My provider doesn't do fills til week 5, they also don't put anything in at time of surgery either ~ and my gastric band is my present to myself . . .altho I am commission based earnings at work and the same client who has paid for my holidays for the last 3 years will also be paying for my surgery LOL

I feel like I should write and thank him ;) lol

Glad ur not feeling as full today lets hope it continues : ) everyones providers seem to do things so differently i had 4ml put in mine straight away! Im not sure wot size band i have yet so im going to ask. I didnt even have to stay overnite i had my surgery at 8.30 am and my surgeon came to see me at 6pm and said i could go home at 10pm if i was feeling ok. Ive spent a lot of time away from my son being in hospital since he was born so i was happy to be home the same day : ) wow 5lb is a great loss already well done you : ) i havent weighed myself since 1st august so ill b interested to see how im doing on friday fingers crossed it will b a nice surprise! Just off to have some soggy shreddies haha just dnt taste the same with no sugar boooo xxxx

Don't be too sure your band is empty I was told the same and when it came too first fill they found I already had a cheeky 2mls in my band even though I was told it was empty , I asked the nurse and she said when they fit your band they test them once there in place and sometimes some gets left behind bonus for me ment less visits for fills , good luck on your journey xxxxx

Hi Kat, hope you are returning to semblance of normality soon. I had 14ml band with 5ml put in during the op. My first fill is on 7 September - looking forward to it as appetite is back with a vengeance - lots of self control (fairly new concept LOL) and time on treadmill is the order of the day. I'm desperate to go swimming again but have to wait another 2 weeks 2 days until I am 6 weeks post op. I am managing 1200 calories a day at the moment, healthy calories and lots made up of fresh fruit smoothies and protein. Tracey xxx

Hi tracey
just a quick question, i notice on ur post you said u had to wait 6 weeks post op until you go swimming, my provider hasnt said anything about not being able to go swimming as im supposed to be going with my son in the morning and also have hydrotherapy on nonday i am 2weeks 1 day post op. is this the case for all banders not being able to swim so soon? Charlie xxx

Hi, it takes about 6 weeks for your wounds to heal enough to go swimming. You really don't want pool water infecting them. x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thankyou i think ill give it a miss for a few more weeks then now you have said it i actually feel really dumb that i didnt think of this : / xxx

Back