• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My very first bandfill

MrsPill

And what a disappointment! I was so nervous and excited. Never had a barium swallow before so didn't know what to expect and...it took maybe 5 minutes max! He found my port in 30secs flat - told me that I had 1ml air in my band..(apparently its their new protocol to only fill with a small amount of air) and put 2ml saline in and..... nothing. Can't feel any difference whatsoever! He said I have no restriction at all yet I thought I could feel it! Oh well... think I'd better phone my nurse :(

Wow MrsP, this is alot different to my surgeon. He put in 4.5 ml during surgery, another 2 ml in my first fill; no barium swallow needed just found the port and in it went, though i could fill the band tightening. Next week i get another 2 mls so i will have 8.5 ml in, the band holds 11.5 ml. I suppose different surgeons have their own methods, no one method is better than the other and each is tailored to the patient. You may find a big difference in the foods that you thought you could swallow easily are now harder to pass through. Good to see it was not as bad as you imagined it.

That's so frustrating for you, especially when you get yourself so geared up for it, how disappointing to feel no difference.
There seems to be such a huge difference surgeon to surgeon; mine doesn't put anything in the band when it is fitted, I have to wait until 3rd October for my 1st fill (that will be 7 weeks after my op), and then he only puts 0.5ml in at a time!
So think my journey may be long and slow, which I'm trying to make myself think is ok, but it's hard as currently feel like I've paid a huge heap of money for no difference!
Hope the nurse is helpful, good luck xx

Thanks for your replies. It is a bit frustrating but I'm not really upset- just amazed at the whole process. Its life changing isn't it. I'd rather fill it slowly to be honest as I've found the whole thing quite hard to cope with...(must be an age thing!) However, when he told me that I have no restriction it has had a huge impact on how hungry I feel psychologically. The mind is such a powerful thing isn't it. I can eat for Scotland today which isn't quite what I had in mind pre-bandfill!
Mrs Smith- 0.5ml at a time is ok as long as its done over a short period of time...maybe weekly. If its 0.5ml a month it may be a bit frustrating!
Mr TM- I'm glad you're feeling the restriction and are coping with it well. I really thought the bandfill would be a momentous occasion but sadly it was a real let down! haha. Not getting too down about it though- I'll get there!

MrsP, I have had to modify my diet and eating habits alot more than I expected. To keep life easy i tend to have liquid breakfasts and lunches most days. Yesterday, i went out for lunch and ordered a ceasar salad whilst everyone around me ordered burgers and fries, the servings were huge so whilst i was missing out on the burgers and fries i was also glad as well. I have had to add lamb chops to my every increasing food list of foods to avoid.

But despite the struggle, i have managed to drop 3 pant sizes since surgery so it is worth the struggle.

Mr TM- you won't have long to wait until you can get into those 'pants' (sorry- we say trousers here!) that your son bought you. Its such a nice feeling when things get looser isn't it. I find that clothes are loose or fit now instead of straining at every seam!!

BTW, I've booked another fill for next Wednesday. My nurse said that 2ml isn't enough but in her experience her patients range from 3ml to 12ml in their bands. Funny isn't it. She also said that for it to work properly it has to be full enough to lose weight but loose enough that you don't really notice it. I guess that would be the sweet spot that bandsters refer to. I'm really wanting to get to that point where I've developed the skills to lose weight with my band rather than have it on my mind constantly. I do a lot of smoking cessation work with my job and we try to get ex smokers to a point we call " Unconciously Skilled" when they keep off the ciggies but don't have to think about it constantly. ie saying no if they are offered one. It apparently takes at least 3 months to change habits. Sorry-- burbling again oops!

Back