• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Sleeve Op

Hi Brian u r wrong loads of people Have followed your progress with great interest. So do plse Keep us posted with your updates. I find it very useful

Lo Brian :) I don't come on here very often now due to time constraints, but always look for your posts when I do :) It is great to check out people who were going through the same stages as you were at the same time. You are doing great, hon ... don't think about binning the thread or I will be chasing you. :D We all knew things would slow down the nearer we got to goal but who wouldn't take that over how things used to be, sugar. Just keep doing what you have been & get your leg over that bike :rolleyes: walking past it won't burn many calories, lol, mwah xxx :D

Lo Brian :) I don't come on here very often now due to time constraints, but always look for your posts when I do :) It is great to check out people who were going through the same stages as you were at the same time. You are doing great, hon ... don't think about binning the thread or I will be chasing you. :D We all knew things would slow down the nearer we got to goal but who wouldn't take that over how things used to be, sugar. Just keep doing what you have been & get your leg over that bike :rolleyes: walking past it won't burn many calories, lol, mwah xxx :D

Hi Denise, good to see you around as well. Sage advice as always from you. It's been a while though since anyone told me to get my leg over! :eek:

Thank you Brian, I've found this inspirational. I'm hoping to get the 'sleeve' procedure too.
I attend the sleep clinic next week to be fitted with a monitor that will highlight, if present, Sleep Apnea. Two week weeks after I have an appointment will my consultant - I'm hoping that a date for surgery will be given. If there's more hoops to jump through - psychologist etc - I hope I can take it in my stride and not get impatient as I'm an eager beaver.
Currently, I'm following The British heart Foundation's daily healthy eating recommendations, that has been tweaked by the dietician that was present at a WLS seminar I attended earlier this month. I've also started gentle exercise by following Walking workout dvds. There's 1mile, 2mile ... there's also 1 mile intensive etc. Being uncomfortable going outside, I find these an excellent way of getting active.
When you mentioned that you were shopping for new clothes, especially for jeans, you made me smile as I think that buying jeans is such a milestone. I've lived in sweat pants for years; I only own sweat pants & giant Tshirts so reading about you buying 'normal' clothes gives me as much hope as it must of given you satisfaction in buying 'off the peg'!
Your post and this forum has been so informative and helped me come to the conclusion that a 'sleeve' may be my best option. What a freedom WLS surgery can give those that have been a prisoner to such a misunderstood, devastating condition.
I'm feeling very positive and hopeful right now.
Thanks again Brian and to all those that added to this thread.

Thank you Brian, I've found this inspirational. I'm hoping to get the 'sleeve' procedure too.
I attend the sleep clinic next week to be fitted with a monitor that will highlight, if present, Sleep Apnea. Two week weeks after I have an appointment will my consultant - I'm hoping that a date for surgery will be given. If there's more hoops to jump through - psychologist etc - I hope I can take it in my stride and not get impatient as I'm an eager beaver.
Currently, I'm following The British heart Foundation's daily healthy eating recommendations, that has been tweaked by the dietician that was present at a WLS seminar I attended earlier this month. I've also started gentle exercise by following Walking workout dvds. There's 1mile, 2mile ... there's also 1 mile intensive etc. Being uncomfortable going outside, I find these an excellent way of getting active.
When you mentioned that you were shopping for new clothes, especially for jeans, you made me smile as I think that buying jeans is such a milestone. I've lived in sweat pants for years; I only own sweat pants & giant Tshirts so reading about you buying 'normal' clothes gives me as much hope as it must of given you satisfaction in buying 'off the peg'!
Your post and this forum has been so informative and helped me come to the conclusion that a 'sleeve' may be my best option. What a freedom WLS surgery can give those that have been a prisoner to such a misunderstood, devastating condition.
I'm feeling very positive and hopeful right now.
Thanks again Brian and to all those that added to this thread.

You are more than welcome This site has been invaluable to me both in the build up to my operation and in the months following it, so if anybody get's anything (apart from eye strain) from reading this then it's nice to know I've been able to give something back.
there are some really good people on here all have good points to make and experience that we can all learn from even a year down the line.
The best advice I can give you at your stage of the procedure is to carry on with your regime as any weight loss between now and surgery will help you in the long run, be prepared for possibly a long weight for your surgery as the NHS is buckling under the weight (pun intended) of all the WLS at the moment. But don't give up hope, I waited for a year between being accepted and surgery happening, I know others have taken longer and some have been quicker. What ever it takes it will be worth it.
I lead an almost normal life now, something I've not really done for the best part of 30 years and the thought of going back to the old me fills me with dread.
Your understanding of our condition is something that is sadly lacking in many people and shows that you're not just looking at this as an easy option.
Good luck with you progress through the system and I hope it's a speedy one. :)

Hi Brian, Its been an intesting read for me as becoming undecided on whether to bypass or sleeve, keep changing my mind, and as consultant day is fast approaching I need to really be decided. Was just looking at threads for experence of either to get an idea of how things have gone, so thank you :) and well done you sound very happy and staying positive. Rachel

I had my sleeve op 9 months ago and have lost 4st since day of op, and 4 and a half since first consult. I am only a few pounds from my new goal of 9 and a half stone (weight, not loss!) and I'm very very happy with my op choice. I feel great and look great too!

Hi Brian, Its been an intesting read for me as becoming undecided on whether to bypass or sleeve, keep changing my mind, and as consultant day is fast approaching I need to really be decided. Was just looking at threads for experence of either to get an idea of how things have gone, so thank you :) and well done you sound very happy and staying positive. Rachel

Thanks Rachel,
I always tell people to listen to what the consultant advises regarding the type of surgery, I went to mine thinking a band was the best option. It's good to go in to see them with an idea of what you would like but also look very carefully at your eating habits and let the consultant know as this can also determine the best op for you. If you don't tell them EVERYTHING :) you could end up having an op that doesn't give you the best chance of loosing the weight and then ultimately keeping it off.

Well 1 year ago today I was being wheeled down to theatre to have my Sleeve Gastrectomy. On the day I weighed in at 26.5 stone having lost just over a stone on the pre-op diet. Today 1 year on I’m please to say that I am now down to a much more manageable 18 stone 3 pounds. I know it should be a little bit more but I have been a bit naughty over the last month or two and I’m using this anniversary as a spur to get me back on track. I’ve revisited my eating habits and I’ve finally got on the exercise bike and have managed 5.5 miles in 15 minutes on a “fat Burn” programme built into the bike

I can only re-iterate what I’ve said throughout this diary and that is I don’t regret one single moment of it. The year before I got my date was probably the hardest wondering when it was going to happen and then the 10 days before I went in was spent wondering whether I was making the biggest mistake of my life….but then there was WLSurgery.com, without you lot that year before surgery would have been a nightmare so thank you one and all.

There’s nothing much to add to how things are going anymore as I’ve covered it all in these monthly updates. The coccyx pain has now all but gone occasionally I get a twinge but it’s nothing compared to what it was. I do eat more now than I did but that’s to be expected. I’m under no illusion that it’s all plain sailing from here on in, I know this is where the hard work begins. I have 3 stone to lose to get to my goal weight and that is going to be the hardest to lose. I also then have to maintain that weight which is a challenge all of its own. Despite that I would do it all again in a heartbeat, the new lease of life I have now is immeasurable and I don’t sit there thinking that each day could bring heart attack and the consequences that go with that.

A few measurements from before and now wouldn’t go amiss so: -

Neck Before 20” Neck Now 16.5”
Chest Before 57” Chest Now 48”
Waist Before 67” Waist Now 48”
Thigh Before 36” Thigh Now 25”

Below this should be a selection of Photo’s which will show my progress from 2009 when I was at my heaviest (29 stone) at my eldest son’s wedding wearing an £800 tailor made suit through to today wearing that same suit again. Have a look have a laugh, but most important of all……Keeeeeeeeep Looosing! :character00116: :whacky068:

1yearweightloss_zps426dd005.jpg

A few other just for Laughs
IMG_0332a_zps8fe61c63.jpg
IMG_0330a_zpsb1400a99.jpg
IMG_0326a_zpsf561d2b0.jpg
IMG_0323a_zps22520358.jpg

Hi Brian, great post. I am struggling pre op to stop eating! Have about 5 months to wait since being put on waiting list. Will send you my email address for diet - thanks again for a reassuring and honest post!

Hi Brian,

Totally amazing transformation photos -- how marvellous it must be for you now to be able to buy an "off the peg" suit rather than an £800 tailor made one !!!

You are a fantastic inspiration -- keep up the good work and we *do* want to know as and when you manage to quash those last 3 stone! :)

Best wishes,
Sharon

Hi Brian, great post. I am struggling pre op to stop eating! Have about 5 months to wait since being put on waiting list. Will send you my email address for diet - thanks again for a reassuring and honest post!

Thanks Borogirl, it is a mindset thing, don't do what I did and think "oh I'll never be able to eat properly again" and so you start cramming all the yummy foods in. You're just giving yourself more to do once you've had your surgery
the link below should lead you to the post op diet, big tip get your drinks and meal replacements ready for when you come out of hospital. although you want want to eat much you have to eat something and your choices initially will be limited so make sure have the the right things in the cupboard/fridge.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27202213/Post Op Eating Plan.doc

Hi Brian,

Totally amazing transformation photos -- how marvellous it must be for you now to be able to buy an "off the peg" suit rather than an £800 tailor made one !!!

You are a fantastic inspiration -- keep up the good work and we *do* want to know as and when you manage to quash those last 3 stone! :)

Best wishes,
Sharon

Thanks Sharon,
New off the peg suit, jacket, shirts and trousers now filling the wardrobe and all together they didn't come to half the price of the tailor made one! result all round.
with all of us post oppers buying new clothes the economy should be flying :D

And I promise I will keep you all updated :)

Absolutely amazing we'll done.

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Back