• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Oesophageal Manometry and 24hr PH Monitoring Study

Mollypop

Hello everyone,

I thought I’d start a new thread, because having searched the site I can’t find anything specific relating to the study I have had.

I had my VSG on 10/07/2017 and have lost over 9st.

Since having the surgery I have been affected with sickness, nausea and acid reflux. Most nights I wake up choking which affects me for the next day with wheezing and coughing up bile.

I currently take: 90mg Lansoprazole & 30mg Metoclopramide, daily which is maximum dosage.

During my yearly check-up in July 18, I discussed my symptoms, and I have been referred to Endoscopy for an Oesophageal Manometry and 24hr PH Monitoring Study which I am completing today.

The study lasts 24 hrs and monitors the amount of acid coming out of the stomach and assesses the pressure of the oesophagus and the valves at the top & bottom of the gullet.

In preparation, I stopped taking my meds I week before the study.

Yesterday I went to begin the study at Walsall Manor. This appointment lasted about 45 minutes and the test was in 2 parts.

The first was a tube which is inserted through the nose to the stomach for 10 minutes, and throughout I sipped water and ate marshmallow. I was given a throat and nose spray as anaesthetic which worked, although felt very strange. This part was to measure pressure and swallow.

The second was a narrower tube, again via my nose and through to my stomach, which has been attached to a monitor where I have logged food, drink, symptoms, and when I went to bed. This is taken out today when I return to the hospital. I have also had a paper diary which I have completed alongside the digital monitor. This has been to measure PH levels and acid.

My next appointment is on 4th October to discuss the results, which may result in a revision surgery to a RNY.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Jo, I did comment on your other thread, but would also like to say congratulations on your weight loss. I'm pre op and am curious, because of your problems do you regret have WLS? I hope you don't mind me asking x

Hi @Sandra Carter. Thankyou. I don't regret any of it. I would do it all again without hesitation. The sideffects far outweigh the benefits. I didn't have any issues with acid reflux or nausea before surgery. I guess I'm just unlucky.
Do you have a date yet for yours. Have you decided which surgery your having? X

Hi @Sandra Carter. Thankyou. I don't regret any of it. I would do it all again without hesitation. The sideffects far outweigh the benefits. I didn't have any issues with acid reflux or nausea before surgery. I guess I'm just unlucky.
Do you have a date yet for yours. Have you decided which surgery your having? X
Thanks for answering Jo. That's such a shame you've ended up with reflux, hopefully RNY will sort it out if you go ahead with it, I'm glad you don't regret it and that you'll still feel the benefits are worth it.
No date yet, I'm just coming to the end of a 6 month teir 3 at end of October, then I think it will be MDT meeting to see what they say, still jumping through hoops. I'm hoping to have RNY as I still have a lot to lose x

Awwww well I hope your wait isn't too long. Which hospital will you be going to? Best of luck.
I will find out if they are offering me RNY on 4th Oct but will defo accept if I'm offered it. X

Awwww well I hope your wait isn't too long. Which hospital will you be going to? Best of luck.
I will find out if they are offering me RNY on 4th Oct but will defo accept if I'm offered it. X
Thank you. I'm under Luton and Dunstable hospital, which is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours car journey from my home.
Good luck to you too, hopefully they will say yes x

Thank you. I'm under Luton and Dunstable hospital, which is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours car journey from my home.
Good luck to you too, hopefully they will say yes x
I was also at Luton yesterday, we could of met up if appointment times allowed xx

I was also at Luton yesterday, we could of met up if appointment times allowed xx
Bling I wasn't there yesterday. Maybe one day our paths will cross though :) xx

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I thought I’d start a new thread, because having searched the site I can’t find anything specific relating to the study I have had.

Since having the surgery I have been affected with sickness, nausea and acid reflux. Most nights I wake up choking which affects me for the next day with wheezing and coughing up bile.

I currently take: 90mg Lansoprazole & 30mg Metoclopramide, daily which is maximum dosage.

During my yearly check-up in July 18, I discussed my symptoms, and I have been referred to Endoscopy for an Oesophageal Manometry and 24hr PH Monitoring Study which I am completing today.

The study lasts 24 hrs and monitors the amount of acid coming out of the stomach and assesses the pressure of the oesophagus and the valves at the top & bottom of the gullet.

Yesterday I went to begin the study at Walsall Manor. This appointment lasted about 45 minutes and the test was in 2 parts.

The first was a tube which is inserted through the nose to the stomach for 10 minutes, and throughout I sipped water and ate marshmallow. I was given a throat and nose spray as anaesthetic which worked, although felt very strange. This part was to measure pressure and swallow.

The second was a narrower tube, again via my nose and through to my stomach, which has been attached to a monitor where I have logged food, drink, symptoms, and when I went to bed. This is taken out today when I return to the hospital. I have also had a paper diary which I have completed alongside the digital monitor. This has been to measure PH levels and acid.

My next appointment is on 4th October to discuss the results, which may result in a revision surgery to a RNY.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Hello everyone,

Please let me know if you have any questions.[/QUOTE

Interesting reading, I have a condition called Barrett's osphegast and a sliding hiatus hernia which is not helping my recovery from having a gastric sleeve on 4 July, which has resulted in 4 hospital stays since, and a NJ feeding tube inserted for the last 5 weeks, I was unable to retain fluids due to sickness and reflux, I am back with the surgeon on 5 October to discuss the possibility of it being converted to a bypass.
The reason I say " interesting " is that your surgery was 14 months ago and I am surprised that you have now started to have the issues.
Well done on your weight lost and good luck for 4 October
Regards julia xxx

Back