• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

silly fear of tube up nose - post op's help please

starry

Hi
I know this is silly and very irrational but I have a huge fear of the tube that goes in your nose and down your throat.

I have a tiny nose and when I had my sleep study done I was panicky with the small tube they use because it filled up my entire nostril and I felt like I couldnt breathe

I am at St Richards and I know their literature says expect the tube to be in place until you are drinking - 48 hours can anyone help me out ?

How big is the tube ?
How uncomfortable in your throat is it ?
How long was it in for ?
Does it feel like you have a blocked nose /
Should I tell them or will i just sound stupid

sorry i know its is crap not worried about anything else really - had 3 sections with my kids so I figure the pain cant be much worse

Liz xxx

Sorry can not help as I didnt have any tubes in my nose, but someone will be along with some answers

Having a bypass and the blurb the give you at pre op to read says about the tubes and wires you will wake up and see and it says about this tube up your nose that goes down your thraot into your tummy ???

I've had a tube down my throat for tests and I was nervous as I hate that sort of thing and I puke really easily, even a thermometer in my mouth makes me gag.
I did tell the staff - they're used to it and no-one likes it so they know to calm you down etc. I hated it but it is worse in imagination than in reality. Just keep calm, try to breath normally and it passes.

How big is the tube ?
How uncomfortable in your throat is it ?
How long was it in for ?
Does it feel like you have a blocked nose?
Should I tell them or will i just sound stupid?

I was also VERY nervous about this, not because of my nose but because I have a very strong gag reflex (even gag brushing my teeth) and thought the tube would make me gag constantly.

I can HONESTLY say that it wasn't a problem.

The tube is fairly small.

It was a bit uncomfortable and I was aware of it but it wasn't anything like as awful as I thought it was going to be.

In my case it stayed in for under 24 hours.

Yes it does feel like you are blocked up on one side, only partially blocked though - not like a blocked sinus jobby.

You should tell them of any fears or concerns. They will have heard it all before and will be able to reasure you appropriately.

I don't think I had a tube - unless I was unconscious at the time!

Back