• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

worried about weight gain

shelley1980

hi folks and thanks for reading, im worried about weight gain i havent had surgery yet, but hoping to in the future. i have see dr raj once and was referred to a dietician who helped me understand where i was going wrong. but since then i have gained weight even though i have been watching what i eat and stuff.
im worried cause im going back to see dr raj in march and i dont want him to stop me going ahead for surgery.

has anyone else gained weight while trying to lose weight
:17729:

hi shelley,

so sorry you have gained weight my love. have you reduced your portion sizes. i was told to eat all my meals off a salad plate [approx 9"] rather than a dinner plate. i eat loadsa veg and pile my little plate high and i really feel like i am eating a lot. but, it is not easy at all. my consultant insisted i lose a minimum of 10lbs before he would consider surgery and to date i have surprised myself by losing 24lbs since january. also, you should take some regular exercise - enough to get you out of breath for it to succeed.
good luck and keep going. this is a great site and i am certain you will have lots of positive responses and support my love.
jan xx

hi jan thanks for the support hun, yes i have a small plate my husband went out and bought a new set which were alot smaller than our old ones.

i eat veg and exercise as much as i can, but i am going to start and do alot more to help myself get to where i want to be.

good luck to you too jan and thanks again

but since then i have gained weight even though i have been watching what i eat and stuff.

Clearly you haven't been watching close enough :D

Seriously though its easy to gain weight pre op, you're not alone in that. However if your surgeon stipulates that you have to lose weight before they will put you forward for surgery then you run a grave risk of being refused if you don't do your bit.

If they told you to lose weight then they are doing this usually for two reasons, it increases your chances of survival on the table, and it allows them to measure your commitment to making this work. They invest a great deal of time and money in us and if they don't believe we are worth the investment, they won't go ahead. You could say why should they

How much have you gained? by reducing your intake by just 500 calories a day you can lose at least a pound a week, and probably more than that in reality. So if you're seeing them in March, you could lose half a stone without too much effort. Just cutting down I lost 55lbs on my run up to surgery

It's really up to us to do our bit to help them to help us. If you're committed to getting approved you'll find the strength and resolve you need just like so many here have done before you. If you're not then maybe now is not the time for you. It doesn't mean you'll never be ready, just not right now

Good luck with it, and I really do mean that, the people here can give you trite platitudes and sympathy because we can all sympathise with your position. But when push comes to shove it's what you put in your mouth that will determine the outcome. Again very best of luck

my consultant insisted i lose a minimum of 10lbs before he would consider surgery and to date i have surprised myself by losing 24lbs since january.

That's brilliant well done Jan

Have you considered joining a slimming club? I say this as I found it really helpful going to one all the way through my appointments right up to my op, and it gave me great help, low calorie food ideas and the kick up the backside when I slipped up! If u go every week it also helps keep bad habits at bay and nips any further weight gain in the bud. Some may not agree, but for me it really worked!

cheers guys i hav gained about 8 lbs roughly since christmas, its not for the lack or trying cause believe me i have tried, i have cut out alot of foods, and try and exercise as much as i can.

i have been unwell though for the past 3 weeks the doctor wont give me anything to help but i have had a ready bad cough so i have been taking cough meds and losengers to try help it.

im going to try my upmost to lose weight before my appointment next month

thanks for the support guys and good luck everyone

Back