• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

One thing you wish you'd known as a pre-op..............

Meggie

.........I wish I'd known how much hair I'd lose!!! It was something I knew to expect thanks to all of the lovely people on this site, but some days it really gets me down!! I'm lucky as my hair is really thick so it still isn't too noticeable, but I lose huge chunks of hair everytime I wash my hair.

Given the choice again, I'd still do it all again though. I know my hair will grow back eventually!!!

Anyone else?

I wish i would have known my energy levels would become more than my family could deal with xx

o dero the hair thing worries me are you taking anything for it?.. x

I wish that I had know how some of my relationships would change.
I expected that my relationship with hubby would change, though I never expected it to get better, which it has, I didnt even think it COULD lol
But other family relationships have changed and I dont like it, though its not my fault, its their issues, they are still supportive and friendly, but the dynamics have changed and it feels as though something has been lost.
I would still do it again in a heartbeat though.
Steph xx

I wish that I had know how some of my relationships would change.
I expected that my relationship with hubby would change, though I never expected it to get better, which it has, I didnt even think it COULD lol
But other family relationships have changed and I dont like it, though its not my fault, its their issues, they are still supportive and friendly, but the dynamics have changed and it feels as though something has been lost.
I would still do it again in a heartbeat though.
Steph xx

I agree! I lost a friend because of it all but I wouldn't change a thing!! I think for some family members it just takes them a while to accept it all whilst watching you shrink!! My sister has been massively supportive but I currently the same weight as her which I think she is finding hard as I've always weighed more than her, even though she is three years older than me!!! I know she is thrilled though.

Helping hair loss

I should imagine it is totally life transforming to have more energy, to be able to be more mobile and to buy clothes that you really like etc...

The hairloss is a concern, although I have my hair growing well after cancer treatment, I am concerned about the hair loss issue and wonder if it may be best to start taking supplements shortly before the surgery, I really don't know?

Which supplements have people found to be the best to help with this...

The only thing I can say, is, that if my face becomes smaller, I may well be able to have a shorter style as I lose weight, I also wondered if hair colour and highlights affect your hair more... perhaps because the condition post op?

Sorry to be a pain in re visiting this question... but I am a Leo and my hair is my crowning glory!

Another tip I had after the cancer was to use Elvive for Men, in a grey coloured plastic bottle, it is a thickener shampoo for men and it really helped my hair to grow back and bounce back... at present it is in good condition.

Love and best wishes to you all xxx :):):)

ooo thanks for that tip bev!!! ill try it, ive been looking at hair supplements tonight i might start taking them, i know hair doesnt seem to be a big thing but it is for me, i wouldnt not do the op cos of it but id like to think id done everything i could to stop loss x

Hello Kell...

My sister bought me some hair and nail supplements from Holland and Barratt, but I cant stand the taste or swallow them... that was after the cancer treatment...

The Elvive for men was the only shampoo that really helped my hair and I still use it once a week... I also have regular colours and highlights... so hope to keep this up...

We'll do it love and I may have my hair shorter for a while if it starts to come out... main thing is that we get on and just keep learning about options and remedies... loads of love precious and hope the boys are ok xxx

God I probably sound so superficial!!! I love my hair though! It is the one thing that I've always loved no matter how fat I was!!

I'll try the Elvive. Good tip!!

You are welcome... it did help me and I hope it helps someone out there....

At present, I am using the Fudge range of shampoos and conditioners including the Head Bath in their range... I'm so glad my locks have bounced back... like you... I've enjoyed my hair.... even though everything else went pear shaped!

If I can help in any way, I am here, I don't expect the hair loss to be as drastic as what happened after my cancer treatment... so maybe we just need to do what we can and monitor... but I'm undeterred... the operation will be a life saver for me, so I wouldn't hesitate.

Much love and hugs to you all xxx

Sorry to hear about your cancer. All better now I hope??? Clearly my hairloss isn't as bad as that so now I feel a bit pathetic for whining about it. :-(

Don't be silly Meggie... I am only sharing my experience to try and encourage others to feel positive about any negatives...

Thank you for asking... I had my three month scan a couple of days ago and await my meeting with the Consultant... at the last review the tumour had stopped growing and was in remission, I am hoping that my stressfree lifestyle is going to help it to behave...I am viewing life from a totally different perspective these days....

Things that use to be important are no longer pressing and I am enjoying the simpler side of life... including my garden and vegetable growing, music and my loving family & friends, plus my newfound wonderful pals on here.

Thank you for asking and do take care of you,

Sending loads of love and hugs your way!
xxx

My hair is really, really thick. I've always hated how thick it is. I'm hoping what I lose will just reduce me to normal thickness and hoping that it doesn't come out in patches - does it?

God I probably sound so superficial!!! I love my hair though! It is the one thing that I've always loved no matter how fat I was!!

I'll try the Elvive. Good tip!!

No not a bit superficial. My hair is very long, almost down my back, glossy and dark and my crowning glory. I don't want to lose it!

and I don't want it short either, I'm like Samson it's that important to me!

Clearly my hairloss isn't as bad as that so now I feel a bit pathetic for whining about it. :-(

Dont feel bad, I remember standing in the shower one time when the hair loss was at its worst, staring at my hands,full of hair, it was also blocking the drain, all over the shower walls, all over my shoulders and body andI just sobbed...it was horrendous!! I would NEVER compare it to losing hair because of cancer treatment, it will never compare, but it IS still a horrible thing when it happens (if its bad I mean) and noone should ever feel bad about being upset about it xx
Steph xx

My hair is really, really thick. I've always hated how thick it is. I'm hoping what I lose will just reduce me to normal thickness and hoping that it doesn't come out in patches - does it?

Mine was realllllllllllly thick pre-op and even though I had a HUGE loss, most people didnt notice it, I did though, it was just average thickness hair. It didnt come out in patches, its like when you brush it or wash it normally and strands come out, only post-op, in the hair loss period, there is more of it. Mine still comes out sometimes but it is growing back in now and is thickening up a bit. Funny thing is that the underneath of my hair is coming back a bit fuzzy lol
Steph xx

We will work at it together and share product information etc etc... let's not feel down hearted... and I am pleased that it won't be as drastic as what I experienced before... thank you for that and let's keep positive... we have so much to gain from our surgery and future... we will work at it and help each other...

Love to everyone! xxx

To be quite fair I would rather be bald and having to wear a wig and be the weight I am now than have lustrous locks and be back to how I used to be!!! Obviously I would prefer to have lustrous locks and be this much slimmer lol
Steph xx

Thanks Steph... I shall just follow my hair routine that I had last time I needed to be aware of hair loss, on a larger scale and it worked well for me... so I am ever positive and hopeful...

So good to be able to share and prepare for things, the surgery is vital, so it wouldn't put me off for sure...

Positive foot forward, we can deal with it! xxx

xxx

I was worried about hair loss too and spoke to my dietician about it. Unfortunately supplements don't work. When you lose a huge chunk of weight the body sees it as a sign of distress and diverts all nutrition from the non vital parts (i.e. hair and nails) to the vital organs. This lasts as long as you are losing big chunks and when it slows down then so does the hair loss. Mine has now stopped, it was just thinner than it used to be and no one but me noticed. Its now growing back but I had it cut short to make it less noticeable. One of the very few minuses of losing weight I think. I was the same when I lost 2.5 stone on the Cambridge Diet but it wasn't as bad.

Back