• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

One year on

triedeverything

I don't come here much but thought I would share my one year struggles with you.

On 21st May I will be one year post sleeve surgery. Well I won't break any records for weight loss but I am very happy with where I am although I have still got a way to go.

My starting weight was 18st 8 and today I am 13st 7 so I've lost 5 stone and a bit. I want to get to 11 stone but that still feels elusive! I look and feel quite different. A lot of people have lost a lot more than me in the same time but I will take that. I'm approaching 48 with under active thyroid and PCOS but the reason I got this op was due to a knee injury which led to sudden mobility problems that I couldn't bear to live with and I knew something major had to change as I could not exercise my weight down like I have before.

I fit comfortably into most size 14s now and suddenly I have become visible to men again which is actually a bit irritating! Lol
My mobility problems are all but gone but I still have to be careful with weight bearing exercise.

I don't intend to stop as I really want to get to my goal weight but my losses are very very slow now and I have just started to make a bigger effort to meet my protein goals as I'm vegetarian and have struggled with this so protein shakes are now a bigger feature of my daily intake.

I have also had some horrible dumping episodes and I definitely can't eat too much sugar or fat as I am very unwell (faint/heart palpitations/feel like I'm dying) so radical changes have been made thanks to this surgery although I still struggle with my love of food compared to what I can actually eat.

Enjoy those first few months of extreme restriction as you will be able to eat more as time goes on. I'm glad to report though that I still have good restriction and some days are much better than others for some weird reason.

I kept my decision private and only a few close friends and family know about my surgery and now people have got used to my weight loss the comments about it are reducing thankfully!

I would not change my decision for anything I just hope I can finally crawl over the finish line even if it takes another year. Good luck to those about to have the surgery and those just sleeved it's been an amazing journey with quite a lot of challenges and if anyone says this is the easy way out feel free to laugh in their face!
I'll try and post up some pics later as I'm on my phone at the moment.

hi :)

congratulations on the weight loss so far.

it's good to read the story of someone who is further along in the journey as i am only just beginning.

sam

Thanks for your post. I'm reading as many positive things as possible. I have my op a week on Sunday, I'm scared and nervous, so it's good to read positive stories xxx

Thanks for the post, everybody is different and your weight loss is still very significant, WOw to be in size 14, how wonderful, you should be very proud of your achievement so far, and I am sure you will reach your goal, please keep us posted as I find them all very inspiring.
Best wishes kate

Back