• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gall Bladder

Big an Bouncy

How many of you had it removed when you had your band/bypass/sleeve?I was told they were automaticaly taken out cos the stomach didnt need it/prevents flare ups in future.Maz x

I believe that it is fairly common that after you have weight loss surgery, you will need to have your gallbladder taken out. I am from Virginia, in the USA, and the bariatric surgeons do not take out your gallbladder automatically with the WLS.

When looking into private treatment one provider said they automatically remove the gallbladder but Mr Ammori said he checks it during surgery for stones and if there are none he leaves it in.

Well!!!! I wish they would take them out during surgery, especially seen as the amount of people post bypass have trouble......I unfortunatley now have to have a second op to remove mine xxx

I think its the same old story lol....different surgeons do different things. As Karen said Mr Ammori leaves them if they look ok so Ive still got mine :D XX

When I spoke to my surgeon he said at one time it was done together but because more people suffered with complications from this op they stopped.

I should have had it removed at the same time as my bypass but because of a bleed on my spleen they would risk comlicating the matter. Having had it removed since then I am so glad they didn't remove it at the same time as I had a bad reaction to this op and had a 4 week recovery period but sailed through my bypass and its recovery.

You need to ask your surgical teamand if you think you have a problem before your op get a scan sorted to confirm it and they surgeon may agree to remove it.

My provider doesn't take it out as standard, as obviously you don't know whether you will have problems or not. However, having WLS and losing weight quickly does make gall-stone formation more likely, and incidentally, women are twice as likely to develop gall-stones post-operatively than men. There is something called ursodeoxycholic acid which can help prevent gall-stone prevention, and many WLS patients outside of the UK are prescribed this as a prophylactic measure, but unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be something prescribed typically within the UK. When I mentioned it to my surgeon, his registrar, my GP or dietician, they've never heard of it!

Last edited:
I asked Mr Whitelaw about this and he said they never remove it at the same time, if you have trouble in the future they do it then

I had mine taken out in sept 2009 , prior to wls but that wasnt due to wls it was due a pre exsisting gall bladder trouble. xx

I wish I'd had mine removed at the same time as bypass as Im now having serious pains and have been told I've got 2 stones the size of golf balls.

The NHS surgeon has told me that to do the gall bladder op through keyhole could cause complications due to the bypass leasions and that he needs the bypass surgery notes otherwise he may have to really cut me open.

Im not happy about that !

I'm having mine taken out at the same time when I have the bypass done next month. This is Charing Cross/ NHS. Not standard procedure but because I already have gallstones (and have had them for 20 years) it's probably wiser to take the gallbladder out now. The pain when I get an infection or 'attack' is horrendous, although it doesn't happen all too frequently at present.

Back