• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Time off from work for bypass people

LisaG

Disappearing slowly
Quick question for people that work and had the bypass....how long did you have off and is your job very physical? Just want to get a bit of an idea of how long I'm looking at.

I'm a nurse and at the time of my bypass I was working shifts on a very busy surgical ward. I had four weeks off then went back onto a run of 4 nights. I felt ready to go back to work but I was exhausted after those four shifts!

Hello

I had 4 weeks before returning to my office job - then did 1/2 days for the first week back.

I'm returning to work this Sunday after 4 weeks off work although I do have a very sedentary job, I'm sat on my arse all day.

Everyone is different according to what sort of job you have. I got my doctor to sign me off for 6 weeks cos I know when I go back it will be full on and I will need my strength.

It is just over three weeks since my surgery and whilst I felt on top of the world last week, this week I am totally wiped out and exhausted and there is no way I am ready to go back to work. I would suggest at least four weeks off but like everyone as said everyone is different.

Hi,

It depends if you're key hole or open for the bypass.

I had 2 weeks off work with a key hole bypass and no complications - I have a desk job. My friend had hers open and she was off work 8 weeks.

X

No 2 people are the same in recovery, so it is hard to say, I went back to work after 2 weeks, but I'm lucky as my job is very sedentary. if it was more physical, then I would have probably taken 4 weeks off. :)

I have booked two weeks off (well it's closer to two and a half with the weekend!!) but work know I may have to extend this slightly. I have also said I may not be completely up-and-running by my return on the 8th so may need to ease myself back in!! I have just said that I'll play it by ear and keep them in the loop!!!

I am a nurse and had 5 weeks off I think (I had readmission for a week for post op pneumonia too). Wish it had been more time off. I was still knackered at about 12 weeks but I didn't tell my employer about the surgery so I really had to give 110% when I was there.

10 weeks of for me and then my doctor said it was to soon I work in care and have to use hoists and I work with learning dis who can become nasty So had to be careful.

Thanks everyone! You've all been so helpful. Looks like it will be at least 4 weeks really. I have quite a physical job so will take it easy and be careful.

Meggie....you be careful too with only 2 weeks...it's a tough job! xx

Thanks everyone! You've all been so helpful. Looks like it will be at least 4 weeks really. I have quite a physical job so will take it easy and be careful.

Meggie....you be careful too with only 2 weeks...it's a tough job! xx

Thanks hun. I am also now thinking 2 weeks will be too little. When I originally asked the question a couple of months ago a lot of people said 2 weeks. And 2 weeks seemed like a long time!! It really isn't though is it!

My work isn't necessarily that physically demanding. I never have to lift the kids and am one-to-one so can control how active the session is. I also work as a special needs nanny on the occasional weekend and that is very physical so I'm taking 6-7 weeks off that. If needs be I'll just have to take more time off. Work will be pleased!! :rolleyes:

Thanks hun. I am also now thinking 2 weeks will be too little. When I originally asked the question a couple of months ago a lot of people said 2 weeks. And 2 weeks seemed like a long time!! It really isn't though is it!

My work isn't necessarily that physically demanding. I never have to lift the kids and am one-to-one so can control how active the session is. I also work as a special needs nanny on the occasional weekend and that is very physical so I'm taking 6-7 weeks off that. If needs be I'll just have to take more time off. Work will be pleased!! :rolleyes:

If you have some control over who you work with then maybe you'll be okay. I don't have such control and ours can be VERY physical. My boss wants to do a risk assessment before I go back. Mine is just before Easter so will have 3 weeks until everyone goes back anyway. Hopefully another 1-2 weeks will be okay for me but even then I may just hide in my office and do some less physical stuff for a while. :wavey:

If you have some control over who you work with then maybe you'll be okay. I don't have such control and ours can be VERY physical. My boss wants to do a risk assessment before I go back. Mine is just before Easter so will have 3 weeks until everyone goes back anyway. Hopefully another 1-2 weeks will be okay for me but even then I may just hide in my office and do some less physical stuff for a while. :wavey:

I have told our office manager that I will be unable to work with very little kids (my fave age group!!) as I can't run around like I normally do!! I can also hide in my office if needs be! If I need more time off then so be it. Can't really afford it but guess if I need it then I can't afford not to!!!

Back