• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

operations after a bypass?

Silver Shoes

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knows of having surgery after a bypass? Are there any precautions that need to be taken?

I need an op on my arm:cry:I have a trapped ulnar nerve (again!) Will be done under a general. I'm only 3 months post op my bypass, and cant believe I need to go through another surgery. Obviously having it done here in Germany, and all the docs I've seen so far are quite fascinated about the bypass? You'd think I was the only person to ever have one. Kinda makes me worried that they know nothing about it! lol

I suppose what I'm trying to say, is there anything that I need to tell them not to do or give me! lol. And yes..I know my stomach is nowhere near my arm! haha...I know about Nsaids etc. And no blind NG tube......

Had lots of surgeries and never had a problem or been worried before, but thats before I had my little pouch!:D

Any comments or suggestions would be great,

Thanks,

Kelxxx

Kel, ican't give you any advice i'm sorry, but i just wanted to wish you the best for your upcoming surgery. It must be such a hassle, and i'm not surprised you're worried this time round.

Thanks wobbles, yes, just a bit concerned:rolleyes: I had a horrible reaction to some meds the other night that I took before the bypass, scared me a bit! Dont want to have some weird reaction during this op.

I have just emailed my surgeon and asked for his advice...why I didnt think of this earlier..duh:D

But any other advice would be great!

Kel xxx

Hi Kel I am due for surgery on 14th November-they think I have a growth in my sinus- couple of hour operation-made it quite clear that under no circumstances am I to be leaned on or have anything rested on me my from the neck to the waist. I will be 8 weeks post bypass and so far problem free. I had a gland removed from my neck about ten years ago and I was black and blue from the neck down so God knows what they did. Surgeon was not the least bit interested that I had a bypass. It will be 5 weeks between my pre-op and the actual operation so I will need to remind them that I weigh quite a bit less now-thought that might make a difference re the anaesthetic. I told them that I would be covering up my incision scars-don't want any infection in those either. Also told them that I want a local in order for them to put the canular in-they agreed to this. Also told them I only want soluable paracetamol as since the bypass I have a problem with ordinary pills.

Hi kel i had on op on my shoulder and had asked if they could do it under a block instead of GA. Initially the surgeon said no but on the day i had a senior anithasis and the surgeon had mentioned that i had asked about a block.
He asked me that if he could do it did i still want a block and i said yes. you are also given an amnesic so you dont remember anything.

When you come round you are wide awake and pain free but feel like you have an elephant on yr chest as it causes you chest to be numb on that side.

If i were you i would ask about a block my recovery was fantastic and i would do it all over again.

hc

Thanks Linda for your kind words as always.

Thanks Loll for sharing your information, its very interesting. I'm fully healed on my incisions, so no worries there. My pre op is done a week before my op, so I should be ok with that one. I'm fine with pills also, so should not have any worries there either. Just need to make sure they dont give me anything from the Nsaid family. The doctors all speak great English, but I will have a Health Liason Officer, and will get them to tell them also about my bypass! I'm fine with canulars/needles etc, actually find locals far more painful! Thank you for your information, you have been very helpful. Its interseting to hear that your chest was bruised, I will certainly be asking if they will be putting any pressure on it! lol thanks again. Good luck with your sinus surgery, be prepared for the tampons up the nose after...lol..I'm not joking! I had my sinuses done...and woke to a tampon like thing up each nostril, with the string ends taped over my nose....I looked great ! lol:D Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Oh HC, thanks for your reply.

I am very nervous about a block if I'm honest, I think I will go for a GA! The reason being, I had my first daughter by emergency C-section, and was given a spinal block. Sounds great, except it didnt work, so ended up having the section with very little numbness!!:eek: freaked me out completely..it was here in Germany btw! I thought I was gonna die. Still the fools, never put me out tho..... I believe this experience also led to me having Fibromyalgia...from the trauma! So as you can see, I will have a nice little sleep!! lol:D I am kinda very weird in the fact that I like GA:confused:..only time I get a decent sleep! hehehe I've had quite a few GA's now, and dont react so I'm hoping this one will be fine too! Just not had one post bypass...fingers crossed!

But thanks everyone for your comments, you are very helpful, I'll let you know what they say etc, incase anyone else is going for surgery after their bypass!

thanks again,

Kel xxxx

Hi Kel reading you post made me shiver thinking about the c section!!!! When I had my babies c sections were not the norm and I have to say its something I would be a bit squimish about lol....I did however get cut "below" for forceps without any anaethestic it was like a cartoon cat with its nails clinging into the ceiling.....I was 19 years of age and so wet behind the ears I did not have a clue what was going on ignorance is definitely bliss!....xx

Back