• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Babies after gastric bypass

lottietat

Just wondered if anyone on here has had a baby since having the bypass? Or if you have had discussions with a consultant about children after the bypass. I have been told 12-18 months after the bypass but just wondered if you really have to wait that long?

Hi lottiecat, i have my 2 beautiful children and am not planning anymore but was told by my consultant that i would need to wait at least 18 months post bypass before i even considered it. They also said that nutritionally i would need to take additional suppliments to those i am already on.

They say it takes a number of months for your own body to recover and pregnancy places such a strain on you that i pressume they need you to be fully recovered and nutritionally well before becoming pregnant.

I would speak to your consultant before becoming pregnant to ensure that your pregnancy goes as well as possible.

Hope this helps xx

Thanks Tammy. The website says 18 months, for the exact same reasons you mentioned. I remember reading an article about a girl who found herself pregant 3 months after a bypass and all went well. I guess I will have to see how my 6 month post op check goes when the Consultant checks my blood.
I was just interested to see the success rates post bypass!
Thanks again.x

Hi Lottiecat, my doc told me not to even think about it for 2 years,but a girl on another forum said she had a baby a year later, so not 100% sure.

Everywhere I have read recommend at least 18months, purely to allow your own body to recover & for the baby to have the best start in life with nutrition & growth both in the womb & when born. Hey, this is very important to me too - I am 41 - but I still want the best chance if there is to be a baby

Hi Lottietat

I wondered the same thing as I'm 28 and have no children yet but want them so bad!!
My surgeon said it's not good to get pregnant whilst you're losing the weight, for about 18 months, but as everyone is different who knows, you could lose all your weight in the first 8 month for example. Im not having a bypass Im having a band but I guess its a general rule of thumb for both!

One slight problem with me though is I have to find a suitable sperm donor once I've had the op to reproduce anyway! LOL

Ginaxxxx

interesting reading i mainly had the band because my fertility is up the shoot and they wont help me till my weight lower although they have said when it lower i might not need help im planning on waiting a year then gona try like crazy

Hi Guys...

I was told I couldn't have kids due to health reasons and was due to have a hystercomy(spelt it wrong) I had been booked in and everything me and hubby tried for about 4 years.... never got any luck... then i booked my big op and applied for adoption and sort of put my mind into accepting i won't have kids and then booked a huge holiday.... then 1 month before my hysterectomy found out i was pregnant...... doctors were completely amazed..... alothough have to admit had a hell of a pregnancy.... have to add I aslo lost 4 stone on ww for my holiday..... in the end I was as big as a whale and nearly 6 months pregnant when we went....

Mind you my little treasure was born christmas day... so not only was he my mircale he was even more special and my very own little xmas present!!!! mind you have to say santa popped into say hello and poor fellow got fright(thats another story)

Then over a year ago... ended up having a miscarrage didnt even know i was pregnant.....

Just saying though.... that whatever problems or age.... never give up hope!!!!!xxxx

sorry about your miscarriage mandy never a nice thing i had one years ago i also had one of those speical little gifts from god after 10yrs of trying so it does happen fingers crosses another ten yrs on it will happen again! lol

Hi Guys...

I was told I couldn't have kids due to health reasons and was due to have a hystercomy(spelt it wrong) I had been booked in and everything me and hubby tried for about 4 years.... never got any luck... then i booked my big op and applied for adoption and sort of put my mind into accepting i won't have kids and then booked a huge holiday.... then 1 month before my hysterectomy found out i was pregnant...... doctors were completely amazed..... alothough have to admit had a hell of a pregnancy.... have to add I aslo lost 4 stone on ww for my holiday..... in the end I was as big as a whale and nearly 6 months pregnant when we went....

Mind you my little treasure was born christmas day... so not only was he my mircale he was even more special and my very own little xmas present!!!! mind you have to say santa popped into say hello and poor fellow got fright(thats another story)

Then over a year ago... ended up having a miscarrage didnt even know i was pregnant.....

Just saying though.... that whatever problems or age.... never give up hope!!!!!xxxx

Hi Mandy and Serenity

Sorry to hear of your miscariages, I had one 8 years ago when I was 20 and didn't know I was expecting.

I crave to have children and I'm 28 (29 in dec) so I will be in my 30's before I have them now, but I know once I have them I'll be slim and a supermum!

Youre very lucky having your little angels!xxxx

sorry about your miscarriage mandy never a nice thing i had one years ago i also had one of those speical little gifts from god after 10yrs of trying so it does happen fingers crosses another ten yrs on it will happen again! lol

No was a major shock, but i have to be grateful for what i have!!!!!!!

I keep my fingers crossed all the time for another......... but I pray it will happen one day!!!!

Hi Mandy and Serenity

Sorry to hear of your miscariages, I had one 8 years ago when I was 20 and didn't know I was expecting.

I crave to have children and I'm 28 (29 in dec) so I will be in my 30's before I have them now, but I know once I have them I'll be slim and a supermum!

Youre very lucky having your little angels!xxxx

Thank you!!!!!!! You will get one...... or two........ and you will be super slim to enjoy too...

Thank you!!!!!!! You will get one...... or two........ and you will be super slim to enjoy too...

Well yeah, when im my super slim sexy new self I'll have the pick of the donors! They'll all want to inpregnate me wont they! Which one of the lucky little suckers will it be!!!!!

hi good thread about babies after bypass, well i saw an episode a few months back of fat doctor wih shaw sommers, there was a girl on there who had her bypass and 4 months later found out she was expecting and she had a beautiful healthy baby girl,........ i have 4 kids lol 1st 1 was 10lb in weight, 2nd was 10lb 4oz, 3rd was 11lb 1oz, 4th was 12lb 9oz, and i had my 1st at 17 lol best thing i ever done was have my kids i even got married at 17 lol so we all grew up together lol and theres never a dull moment in my house, im just waiting to be a grandmother now infact im longing to be one, i absolutely love babies, sorry for boring you but once you get me started me on about kids i cant stop lol take care xxx

hi good thread about babies after bypass, well i saw an episode a few months back of fat doctor wih shaw sommers, there was a girl on there who had her bypass and 4 months later found out she was expecting and she had a beautiful healthy baby girl,........ i have 4 kids lol 1st 1 was 10lb in weight, 2nd was 10lb 4oz, 3rd was 11lb 1oz, 4th was 12lb 9oz, and i had my 1st at 17 lol best thing i ever done was have my kids i even got married at 17 lol so we all grew up together lol and theres never a dull moment in my house, im just waiting to be a grandmother now infact im longing to be one, i absolutely love babies, sorry for boring you but once you get me started me on about kids i cant stop lol take care xxx

Hi Georgina

Thank you for sharing that story, that's really good to hear! You sound like you have a lovely family and I'm very happy for you. Enjoy being a grandmother, you'll get to hand the baby back and have all the quality with none of the nightwalks, nightfeeds and colic!

When is your grandbaby due?

Love Gina!xxxx

hi gina as i said id love to be a grandmother but my kids aint having none of it yet lol they want to wait i have offered to have the babies full time lol i loved the night feeds and never once did any of mine have collic lol, and not once in all the years did hubby get up in the night to feed them or change a nappy lol i done it all, i liked it that way, sounds dull i know but thats just me lol, xxx

and 1 more thing ive taken up crochet again and guess what ive made so far........ YES baby clothes and shawls bonnets and booties lol, hubby says im off my head but who cares, he dont say that when we ae at the seaside and he says hes buying the 1st bucket and spade lol though i am having my own pram when i do eventually have a grandchild lol, right best go and have a good talk with my 2 eldest lol im getting broody just typing this, my other regret as being sterilized, xxx

hi gina as i said id love to be a grandmother but my kids aint having none of it yet lol they want to wait i have offered to have the babies full time lol i loved the night feeds and never once did any of mine have collic lol, and not once in all the years did hubby get up in the night to feed them or change a nappy lol i done it all, i liked it that way, sounds dull i know but thats just me lol, xxx

Oh Im sorry Georgina,

Totally misread you post and thought you had a grandchild on the way! Oh well tell the oldest 2 to get cracking! Bring on the babies!!!!! Lol

hi
whay lovely stories..
my partner really really wants another child but hey i need my body back lol..
but maybe i will in future as i have the band and the consultant said i should only put on baby weight due to band not 6stone as i have done in past..
goodluck to you all
emma

Back