• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Over the hump

natashoorrr

Well I'm officially over the hump and as of tomorrow, I can say "i'm having surgery this weekend"

I think its been a bit of a strange week really! I still haven't got excited or nervous about the whole situation. Although I do sit there sometimes and fantasise about food and think, well I can't have that anymore! which doesn't exactly upset me - just makes me feel a little bit of annoyance if anything that I've let myself get in to this position.

My family are all really supportive and I have my hospital bag packed!

I'm not taking much, I just have a bathrobe, slippers, wash bag, leggins, long t-shirt that is already too big for me and some hair bobbles. I will pack my phone charger, phone and some money at the last minute. I'm still debating whether to take my hair straighteners as I'm incredibly vain but I'm sure when in pain I won't care less about my hair!

Today I have shampoo'd my carpet and thrown away a big black bin liner of clothes I won't be wearing ever again. I am preparing my room for my return you see :) and my boyfriend has surprised me by buying a brand new bed which is absolutely gorgeous!!

All I have left to do is buy some new pillows on Saturday along with some thank you presents for my mum for being so awesome throughout this and stock up on slim fast/complan!

Am I forgetting anything else?!

Hi

I don't know about what to take but just wanted to say well done & to wish you luck for this weekend!
Will look out to see your post op 'posts'
Helen x

I was the same, I was neither excited nor nervous, I simply just knew that I had made that decision that I was going to do this. I thought about food a lot and mainly about the stuff I wouldn't be allowed to have post op but it does get easier hun, good luck with everything xx

Yes, me to. Quite matter of fact about it all. Did make some arrangements for the future of my beloved kitties in case I didn't make it ...but that was all. Didn't go to pieces on the morning ... Just felt a tad anxious walking into the operating theatre and climbing onto the operating table. But I was soon away. Next thing I knew I was in recovery.

Best of luck for your turn. You'll be fine. X

Sounds weird but I breathed a sigh of relief when I was lying on the operating table, as I was so scared the op would be cancelled last minute. That was a greater fear for me than the fear of the operation, which was non-existent. I felt mainly excitement and a yearning to start my new life. Good luck for your surgery and your journey post-op. X

It's quite bad but I'm more looking forward to some time off work! Lol. Thanks everybody :) I really appreciate everybodies support and couldn't have made it this far for sure! I have the pre op tomorrow and its all down hill from there :)

Don't bother with slim fast it will be too sugary. Get some skimmed milk powder and have milky drinks with that added instead x

Sounds weird but I breathed a sigh of relief when I was lying on the operating table, as I was so scared the op would be cancelled last minute. That was a greater fear for me than the fear of the operation, which was non-existent. I felt mainly excitement and a yearning to start my new life. Good luck for your surgery and your journey post-op. X

Yep that was me too. I had convinced myself that the rug was going to be pulled out from under me at the last hurdle... First words from hubby when I came round was ...well they can't do anything about it now that its all done sweetheart :) .. He knew it was my greatest fear. I was nervous as hell up until my pre op assessment then oddly I became all calm and relaxed about the op itself. Mind you talking to my surgeon just before going down I developed verbal diarrhoea!! I suffer this when highly nervous :eek:. When I was wheeled down to theatre I really didn't have time to feel nervous as the anaesthetist told me what was going to happen and that he would put in a small temporary drip for the initial anaesthetic then once under he would put a longline drip into my neck once under because my veins are so bad and they needed it to be in there for a few days ..next thing i was drifting off and then coming too in recovery!

Good luck hun xx

Meant to add .. I never used three quarters of the stuff I took in. My dressing gown stayed in the wardrobe ... Really glad I didn't buy a new one!. Only one set of pjs were used as for two days I was in a hospital gownie. I had no concentration at all for 2 days post op so my iPad, mags and family tree stuff I had bought in to keep me occupied just sat in the drawer.
Also make sure your leggings have plenty room around the waistband .. You are swollen and sore for a while after surgery and the waistband is where most of the op sites are.. Believe me it is uncomfy. I couldn't wait to get home and remove my leggings that I had packed for my return home and they were two sizes bigger ... My pjs were my old hardly worn size 32's and they are ideal

Last edited:
I have no shame! So if my leggins arent comfy i'll just wear my PJ's home. I don't wear a dressing gown anyway so I would only wear it under extreme conditions like to avoid people seeing my bum!

Fem how are you getting on? I saw Yve's post that you were okay :) When did you get home?

I have no shame! So if my leggins arent comfy i'll just wear my PJ's home. I don't wear a dressing gown anyway so I would only wear it under extreme conditions like to avoid people seeing my bum!

Fem how are you getting on? I saw Yve's post that you were okay :) When did you get home?

I was told I would be in for at least 3 nights. They were really worried that my lungs wouldn't do well under the anaesthesia during and afterwards. I did have issues with my upper airways but I managed to keep "coughing it up" sorry tmi I know :eek: and with the help of the physio who got me breathing deeply (not easy when your sore) By day 3 I felt ready to come home but physio thought i best do another night :(. Mr Stuart thankfully agreed that I could as long as I kept as mobile as possible. He asked me if I felt I could have done this pre balloon. I replied that no I don't think I could of which was a big admission for me. So my three night stay turned out to be only 2 yayyyy ... As much as the staff were fantastic there's nothing like being home :)

Back