• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pain after drinking ??

voluptuouschick

Hi everyone,
I had my gastric bypass 2 weeks ago today & although I seem ok today, yesterday was awful as even with every sip of water I took I was in pain & just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this at all please? (I had alsorts running through my mind as you can imagine)
Also, I know everyone is different, but I wondered if anyone could tell me if my weight loss was 'about' right please ? I have lost 12lbs since the op, I am 5ft 5" & was 18 stone the day I went in for my op, any advice would be lovely :)
This pureed diet is so difficult I can't wait to progress to 'soft' foods in 3 weeks time lol.
Any help would be really appreciated
Love n hugs
Vicky
xxxxx

Hi everyone,
I had my gastric bypass 2 weeks ago today & although I seem ok today, yesterday was awful as even with every sip of water I took I was in pain & just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this at all please? (I had alsorts running through my mind as you can imagine)
Also, I know everyone is different, but I wondered if anyone could tell me if my weight loss was 'about' right please ? I have lost 12lbs since the op, I am 5ft 5" & was 18 stone the day I went in for my op, any advice would be lovely :)
This pureed diet is so difficult I can't wait to progress to 'soft' foods in 3 weeks time lol.
Any help would be really appreciated
Love n hugs
Vicky
xxxxx

Hi Vicky

I wish I could help you hun...but I have not been there or worn that tee shirt as yet...I'm sure that someone will be along very soon to help you out.

I also had to say that your weight loss sounds very good to me....that's nearly a stone in 2 weeks...Well done.

You should ring your WLS team about the problems you are having though just to make sure all is ok.

I hope you feel better soon.
Take care.

x(((hugs)))x

Hi Vicky congrats on the weight loss so fat that is fab, soz your having some probs at the mo but i am still pre op so cant help you there, but am sure they will be some of our experienced post op crew around soon to help you.
Take care xxx

Hi Vicky
I'm nearly 5 weeks post op and the only time i've had the pain you describe is if i've gulped liquids but as you have said you were only sipping i'm not sure (sorry) is it better today? As far as your weight loss is going 12lbs is great in 2 weeks, liquid and puree stage are pretty hard emotionally i'm starting to experiment with soft foods now but still need to come up with ideas lol. I'm sure someone will come along soon with a better answer x

I'm two weeks post op too and I think your weight loss is comparable to mine (size wise)- I am about eight stone heavier.
I too had a dreadful day yesterday. Drinking okay - quite a bit in fact but not weeing it out still. Off to GP this afternoon. Also practically passing out when trying the other!! Hope things improve for you!

Hi Vicky - give your surgical team a call - sure its nothing to worry about but best to check. Im almost 5 months post bypass and not experienced this so cannot comment

Thank you all so much!
I am wondering if I have been gulping & not realising ... mmm it's weird, I will see how I go on today & if it happenes again I'll get on to the gp & team
Crikey Allie, I know what you mean, I am having trouble coming up with ideas too & scared of trying lots of different things lol.
Omg Bungle, let me know how you get on hun - I hope they can get it sorted for you... it's no walk in the park this is it !! lol
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sip sip sip - I always forget and always have that evil pain that feels like a knife in my sternum - still get it now at 7 weeks post op - ring your nures anyway but I suspect she will say smaller mouthfulls & you have been gulping air with it. Hope you get on ok!

Hi Vicky,

I'm a week post bypass, when I was in hospital I felt every sip was a pain and asked my surgeon about it, he said its cos the bottom of my stomach is nearer so water hasnt got so far to go, so im more aware of it and to try warm liquids, I do find that warm milk helps me, and sometimes cold water hurts me, think its just a time thing, but if it continues then do consult someone to be certain everythings ok! xxxx

Hi Voluptous,

A baby/toddler sippy cup can be a good thing for controlling sips. Your mouth is literally bigger than your pouch so it can be hard to judge a sip. Like others said, it could just be that you need to experiment with the temperature of the liquids you are having. I hope the problem resolves soon.

I'm two weeks post op too and I think your weight loss is comparable to mine (size wise)- I am about eight stone heavier.
I too had a dreadful day yesterday. Drinking okay - quite a bit in fact but not weeing it out still. Off to GP this afternoon. Also practically passing out when trying the other!! Hope things improve for you!
Hey Bungle, was just wondering which type of WLS you had? Great weight loss btw.

Vicky hope you feel better soon, could be you are swallowing too much it must be so hard to know the right amount. I am pre op and I love nothing more than a nice glad of cold water which I just drink down,and I often wonder how I will cope with sipping.
Anyway hope you get it sorted allright

Jay xx

Hiya

I am heading towards two weeks post bypass and I still have this pain on drinking. I get it more with fluids than with pureed food.

For another reason, I had my whole abdomen CT scanned a few days ago so I know everything is ok with the surgery and I am trying to control it a bit better. Sometimes it is worse than others.

I am sucking ice cubes at the moment and I like that. It's awful when you swallow isn't it cos you sort of wait for that pain to kick in. I can't wait til it passes.

Hope you feel better soon

Rx

Thank you all so much all of you!!
well touch wood all has been well for me today with no pain thank goodness, but I am going to take this sipping much more seriously now as the pain was awful, it even gave me goosebumps & had me sitting on the toilet as it felt like I needed to do a number 2 (lol sorry !! eeeeks)
I think I swallow air whilst I'm asleep too as I wake up with a similar pain sometimes .. oooh it's all weird this lol
Love n hugs
Vicky
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey Bungle, was just wondering which type of WLS you had? Great weight loss btw.

Hi Rising Sun,
Had Gastric bypass at Leeds Nuffield on 27 August. All good on the whole. Been to GP today cos not weeing despite drinking 5 pints a day and don't even get me going on the other!!

Apparently I have ketones in my urine and am dehydrated despite my five pints so got to drink even more. GP gave me some lactulose but my consultant has asked the GP to change it to something else, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for your kind comments about my weight loss. I am obviously really pleased. It is long overdue.:p

Hey Vicky,

I had the same thing early on, and the magic trick that helped me with drinking, to avoid gulping, use a straw. I drink EVERYTHING, even now, through a straw...well, except coffee and tea, and wine ;)

But using a straw avoids swallowing pockets of air, you also feel fuller sooner and you are able to monitor your liquid intake easier.

Give it a try and see how you go hun.
Hope you're doing well otherwise.

xxx

Vicky, you have been given excellent advice so far and it all should help you feel more comfortable. I wanted to point out that there is no 'normal' weight loss after bypass, it is all completely individual to each person. Factors such as pre-op BMI, age, general health and pre-existing conditions, amount of weight to lose, length of pre-op diet, metabolism, fitness level etc. really confound any sense that there is a 'normal' amount someone should expect to lose post-op. All you can do is follow your surgeons advice on eating & drinking and when you are given the go ahead make sure you get active. Some surgeons will tell you to expect a stone a month but that has proven to be only a guideline, with some on this forum losing faster and others losing slower. It really is anyone's guess, so try to be happy with your committment to healthy eating and drinking and not focus on a minimum weight loss per week to make you feel successful. Remember that the wls journey can take the entire 2 years for you to reach your desired weight and in the scheme of things that is rather fast to get a whole new you.

Best of luck & I hope you are feeling more comfortable with your drinking,
Nic:rolleyes:

Back