• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Parents (or kids)

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
why do parents act the way they do is it worry or somethign else.

I have told my mum I am having a band but have not told my dad as my mum said he will be worried so I will tell him a day or two before. But this is a big part of my life so dont be worried be bloody glad I am trying to take control of my life.
not only that my mum bought me a pair of jeans in a size 22 I am a 24 but she didnt know that anyway when I tried them on and said they were too tight she said oh well they will fit you next year I thought I bloody hope they will bury me next year. I dont think she realises I am actually having it done I think she just thinks it a phase !!! even though I have gone through months of weight management etc..
she said the other day "well you might change your mind yet !!!" not bloody likely.
Is it worry or the fact that you change in appearance ?

Maybe she thinks its like every other diet you have ever been on and that you wont stick to it? Who knows. Parents are strange beings - on his death bed, my Dad was asking me to try and get him diet pills! My mother has been nothing but supportive pre and post my bypass.

I won't tell my parents about WLS until a couple of days before.
My Dad will have a right go he thinks everone can lose weight (thats why he still weighs over 19 stone and has been going to weight managment clinic for over 6 years and just yo-yo's)
I think my Mom will be OK but i can't ask her to keep that kind of secret.
My brother who had the bypass is very supportive and agrees with me about my parents as he went through it all with them and now hardly talks to our parents.
I think they just worry about us kids all the time:family2:and hope by some miracle we will be thin and healthy one morning when we wake up :rolleyes:

i do think it is worry, i initially told my mum when i thought about wls and she was very against it. when i eventually got my date etc i told my dad and we wondered if to tell my mum due to her concerns that were purly worry. i eventually did and when i think they realise that you are not going to change your mind and the op is going to happen and that it will make you healthier they will come round as my mum did. x

I wasn't going to tell my Parents until after the banding was done as I expected them to slate the idea, but my 16 year old Son said 'you must tell them, afterall they are your Parents' :eek: so that put me in my place :rolleyes:

to be honest they weren't surprised, but obviously worried because it was an op, but ever since I had it done, my Mam has said to me on many occasions 'ooh...doesn't Fern B look scrawny now???'

If I'm going to end up like FB in a couple of years then bring it on :banana dancer:

I think its because they're older and don't really understand the procedures. When I told my parents they were worried. My Mum rang me one night to tell me she'd just watched someone having the op on tv and that she did'nt want me going through all that. When she'd finished going on I asked her "what did they do?". It came out then that she'd watched a bypass being performed and not the band. I had to take the laptop over to her house and show her the "youtube" band operation. After this both her and my Dad were very supportive. So for those who's parents don't understand and are scared for you, Show them the ops you've watched and help the "oldies" understand more. Put their mind at ease because they are just scared of the unknown. Good luck xxGaynorxx

I think it is pure worry. When I told my parents I was applying for funding my mum was very anti she is so worried that I will die. I have tried explaining to her about the fact that the way I am going I could anyway. She just keeps saying you have lost weight in the past why not do it again. I find this is much more of a struggle now and it eventually goes back on again.

My dad is very supportive and can't wait for me to have it done.

My twin sister is the same as my mum.

I wish they would understand how desperate I am if I could do it any other way I would but it is just not happening.

I love them all dearly I just wish they would understand.

My husband is being great and says he may even consider it after me.

I told everyone before and after the OP what WLS surgery i was having. The thing is like i explained, last option. I dont want to die at 50-60 from weight related illnesses. So the choice is be happy for others that want you not to have the op and die early? Or have the OP loose weight be happy and live longer? Simple no brainer really for me. Yes if it was a bypass i would be a little more worried but we are at the LAST CHANCE HOTEL and its checking out time ladies and gentlemen...lol

My mum was exactly the same but then i reminded her she was the one moaning in the first place i needed to loose weight..sometimes i am sure they say these things as they have nothing else to talk about.

At the end of the day its down to you, you know if you need help and if you do she will support you like you father will also. Just tell them all and be done with the whole thing.

When I made my mind up to have the gastric bypass op the first person I told was my mum who is a retired nurse. She was great and really supportive and this really surprised me as I thought she would have told me to try and loose weight by going on a diet. I told I dad after the op because again I thought he would have been negative but he was also fine. My partner was the only person who was apprehensive but I think its because he did not realise how upset I was with my weight. Now he's OK especially as I am shrinking before his eyes!!

I think your mum's just worried because, whatever your age, you are still her baby. She doesn't want you to get hurt. My mum, in her eighties, is worried to death but so are my children - it's not an age thing - it's a love thing! Mxx

Back