• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

vagotomy and pyloraplasty

tor

hi everyone my name is tor and i have come on here for your help. a year ago today i had a gastric band. it has been very succesful and i have lost 5 stone. all the way through this my mum has helped me but now it is her that needs help. years ago she had to have a pyloroplasty and vagotomy. she has been to 2 consultations to look into eithier a gastric band or bypass. one doctor told her that it would be very risky to have this surgery given the surgery she had already had and another said that it would be fine and that he could do it. i am very worried and dont know what to think. my question is is there anyone who has had these ops and been ok having the gastric band or bypass. i really want her to get it done as it would change her life and she would be happy again. any info greatly appricieted. thank you, tor!!:(

I think Roux-en-Y gastric bypass would be the preferred option in your mum's case. Technically it shouldn't cause a problem as the pylorus and duodenum are both bypassed. The small resection of stomach is attached to the jejunum via anastomosis.

The vagotomy is performed to disable acid production in the stomach, which again is something that shouldn't be a problem as us bypassers usually have to take a PPI for life for that very reason.

Is she enquiring via NHS or private facilities?

Back