• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

RNY Gastric Bypass Pearl Barley

mandym1

I'm pre-op and make a lovely chicken and barley soup. I'm hoping this will be ok,liquidised for the early stages post-op, but I'm unsure.

I usually boil a whole chicken (minus the skin) this makes the base of the soup. I take the chicken out and shred all the meat into the liquid then add pearl barley, leeks, carrots and swede and leave to simmer for an hour and half. I also add chicken stock cubes, salt and pepper.

Is there anything in this that sets off alarm bells to anyone? Not sure the pearl barley is allowed :confused:

Only thing I would say is too be careful with pearl barley as it swells in tummy. I have eaten it twice since op but I had very little hth XX

You will be fine the amount of barley used wont fill you.Try making the same with best neck lamb chops its bloomin gorgeous,leave on low light for ages the bones will lift out and you can chop the meat up more or eat the rest of the stew,all the goodness is in the stew.It will put hairs on your chest!Though we would rather them on our heads if we are losing it!

sounds lovely, definitely one for the recipe collection x

I make the same chicken soup and also make it with beef brisket. My problem with it is that It makes so much, and living mainly on my own I cant eat enough to make cooking it worth while. I could freeze it or put it in the fridge but it would be there forever and a day.
I can still only eat about a cup of food at a sitting.
I cooked a lovely piece of brisket last week, in the oven with carrots and sweede and just a small amount of potato and it is deicious but I had one serving and now have seven servings in my freezer!
It is driving me bonkers that I cant get my head round only cooking tiny amounts.
I'll probably always be greedy!!
Lynne x

This soup does make a lot as its a whole chicken but hubby will eat it too so I'll just freeze a few small protions for me. Loving the sound of the lamb version Maz. Are you ok with red meat?

Back