• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

People are so strange.

carberello

People can be so strange sometimes !

I wasnt going to mention to anyone that I was having WLS, but because there were a few parties coming up for 40th/50th birthdays and an anniversary I decided I must tell people so they wouldnt encourage me to eat and drink or think I'm a miserable sod not getting drunk etc.

So anyway I told people and to my surprise some people treat me like I've had some sort of unfortunate unmentionable disease.

Some whisper when they mention it, you know like old women do when they look both ways then whisper as they talk about their "waterworks"
I have noticed a little bit of 'belly envy' from larger friends - one of whom delights in telling me how its the easy way out etc. - usually as he's stuffing another party sausage roll down his neck or having his twelfth bit of cheese on a stick.

Some just dont mention it at all as if I have cancer or some terminal illness, and if someone does mention how much weight Ive lost " How have you lost so much weight?...I had Bariatric surgery....I get a suspicious Ohhh - and a sudden end of conversation lol.

People are so strange sometimes :D I'm glad Im a person and not a people :sigh:

poke them in the eye!! xx

It's down to pure jealousy....because we have had the courage to sort our weight problem out...that's why I kept my mouth zipped and never told about my bypass.

It's down to pure jealousy....because we have had the courage to sort our weight problem out...that's why I kept my mouth zipped and never told about my bypass.

I think you're right. Opening my big gob is my only regret.

carberello said:
I think you're right. Opening my big gob is my only regret.

Lol...let them snipe!
Give them something to really talk about when your the one looking fab x
Take care

I think the ones who don't say anything want to be supportive but don't know how. Anyone I've told has been super supportive, but one person did not know how to react. People would be the same if you were talking about any other personal issue - cut them some slack. If they're being nasty that's another thing altogether.

I'm sure we all agree that the decision to go with weightloss surgery is not just a personal one but is actually a life saving decision. It is certainly not the easy option at all.
Be proud of your decision. It is only a 'tool' as we all know and we still have to make the lifestyle changes in order for us to achieve and maintain weightloss, just as much as any healthy person undertaking a 'diet'
Stay positive :)

Yvessa said:
I think the ones who don't say anything want to be supportive but don't know how. Anyone I've told has been super supportive, but one person did not know how to react. People would be the same if you were talking about any other personal issue - cut them some slack. If they're being nasty that's another thing altogether.

You are very lucky that you've had support from people you have chosen to tell,but in my case I knew the 'playground mothers' would be thinking I've taken the easy route to loose weight.
And sorry to say but whenever there's a article about weightloss operations the general public comments are pure disgusting about overweight people,so this made my decision to keep my operation quiet even more x

Never never listen to or believe those who say this is the easy way out. In time they will see what you go through that it isn't. I have colleagues who now when I say well I took the easy way out according to some say oh no you didn't we've seen what you have to do & the fantastic results you've got as a reward. So ignore the negative comments be proud of choosing the chance to have a tool that will help you achieve your goal of a healthier you who will have a longer & healthier life. It's a tough road with many challenges along the way & at the end the next challenge is can we accept our new bodies without plastic surgery or do we take another risky step & go for it to get the ultimate result from all our hard work.
Go for it have a great & smooth journey & tell the doubters go fish.

You are very lucky that you've had support from people you have chosen to tell,but in my case I knew the 'playground mothers' would be thinking I've taken the easy route to loose weight.
And sorry to say but whenever there's a article about weightloss operations the general public comments are pure disgusting about overweight people,so this made my decision to keep my operation quiet even more x

Wholeheartedly agree Emma. Ive read hateful and hurtful comments about how some people think society should deal with obesity problem. The ignorance and pure hatred is incredible.

carberello said:
Wholeheartedly agree Emma. Ive read hateful and hurtful comments about how some people think society should deal with obesity problem. The ignorance and pure hatred is incredible.

I'm glad you agree,a lot of the general public think overweight people are just a drain on the NHS,along with all the nasty remarks they call us too.
I honestly think they have more hatred against overweight people than druggies,alcoholics,etc.
At times I feel very sad I haven't been able to tell anyone about my operation as at times I would love to talk to someone.
But thank god this site is here x

I was discussing this with my daughter, and she said "Mum, when you lost 6st through pure willpower, what did you think of people who'd had surgery? didn't you think they'd cheated in some way? Taken an easy way out?"

And if I was being entirely honest with myself, as I was so hugely proud of myself for having done it by myself, I probably would have judged them harshly. But, and this is the big but, I couldn't sustain the weight loss, and I put half of the 6st back on again over the next 4 yrs.

I think most people can lose weight. Diets work. Temporarily. But most people put the weight back on again and that's what we have surgery for.

For the first time in my life I don't care if people think I have taken the easy way as I know its no were near easy and was a lot of pain for me.
I thankfully haven't had anyone say a bad thing and I am very open about having my op it has changed my life so much.

For the first time in my life I don't care if people think I have taken the easy way as I know its no were near easy and was a lot of pain for me.
I thankfully haven't had anyone say a bad thing and I am very open about having my op it has changed my life so much.

I'm with you. I just don't care what people think. I am getting fitter and healthier and dare I say it prettier and younger every day and I couldn't give a tinkers cuss about anyone who wants to make a jealous comment. The biggest and nastiest comment came from someone who must be about 30 stone and told me she was ashamed of me for not doing this myself. I should do this diet she was doing cause she had lost 5 stone on it. I tried to explain that I'd done every diet going but always put the weight back on but she wouldn't have it and just became more and more aggressive about it. I only see her once a year and guess what. When I see her in April she's going to be fat again and I'm going to be slim and I can tell you now, I wont be putting mine back on again.

So stick two fingers up to them, (mentally of course) and pride yourself in the knowledge that you were brave enough to take the life changing decision to live longer and healthier. Easy way out, Pah, I don't think so.

Kate x

Back