• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Story

wobbles

I am currently on a different, unrelated forum which is currently discussing obesity, and someone asking for person experiences, so this is what i have shared. I felt i wnted to share with you all also.

I have been tossing up whether to reply to this, knwoing that what i say will inevitably open me up for ridicule, critisism, and generally make me very vulnerable.
However, i've decided to post, and be completley honest in the hope of maybe showing people that all fat people aren't that way because they're simply lazy slobs, which is something i very regularly get called.

I started gaining weight when i was 8, or at least that's what i was told. I remember very little of my life, and i've recently discovered that this is in part due to being sexually abused as a very young child.
From a young age, i learnt two very unhealthy habits. One being to turn to food for comfort and the other being to dissociate from reality.
My mother tried to bribe me to lose weight when i was 10, and has ever since humiliated me for the fact that i was not skinny like her. Both of my parents were within healthy weight range.
Due to my abuse, i suffered a lot with emotional problems, and always turned to food as that is what made me feel better, or at least stopped me feeling bad. I turned to food, like some turn to drugs, and others turn to alcohol or religion.

I have moved house 29 times in 28 years, so needless to say i moved around a lot as a child, went from school to school and never had the chance to make real connections with people or make close meaningful, long lasting friendships. My food was my only friend, my best friend who was always there for me, no matter what.
I was bullied a lot at school, which made me feel bad, so i ate to stop feeling bad.

When i was 16, my father committed suicide, and my mother abandoned me, which resulted in me suffering with severe depression for the following 9 years. During which time i put on a lot of weight. Was diagnosed with depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, and have recently been diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder.

I have tried every single diet under the sun, that is no exageration. And yes i've had some success, losing up to 4 stone each time, only to put it all back on, and then some. I have however, ALWAYS had a very active lifestyle, played a lot of sport (grew up in Australia) and enjoyed being active.

I was referred for weight loss surgery in January last year, and in October, i had a gastric bypass, after much scrutinising, testing etc. It was not an easy option, and it certainly is not the easy way out, as i have experienced, it is extremely difficult. I started at 23 stone, and in 12 weeks i've lost 4 stone. As i said, it has not been easy, very hard in fact, but my goal is to get to a healthy weight range. Not because i want to wear size 10 jeans, or look good, or be accepted by a very harsh society, but so i can see my son grow up, get married, have babies, be happy and grow old.

All in all, yes i made poor food choices, i over ate frequently, i consumed more than i burned off, but the reason certainly isn't because i'm lazy or a greedy slob. The reason is that instead of choosing to take drugs, or drink copious amounts of alcohol, or join a strange religious cult when i was searching for some solace, or comfort in life, i turned to food, it was my drug of choice, and i have had to very quickly learn how to use food in a way that benefits me, rather than using it in a way that is self destructive.
Unlike other addictions where once you're weaned off, you don't do them anymore, i still need to eat to survive, which makes my addiction 100 times more difficult to recover from and i'm expecting it's going to be a very long and hard road to travel.

It would be nice if people in general could see people's addiction to food as that, an addiction, an illness, and the results of this addiction is obesity. I'm not talking about people who need to lose a couple of stone cause they pigged out over christmas, i'm talking about people with real, serious, long term weight issues that are more than often down to emotional problems. I know this because due to my surgery i have contact with hundreds of other people who've also turned to surgery, and would like to turn to surgery as their last hope.

Just as anorexia and bulimia are emotional/mental illnesses which are reflected in the persons relationship with food, so is obesity and i hope that one day people who are obese are treated with more kindness, support, understanding, encouragement and empathy, rather than distain, contempt, rudeness, discrimination, ridicule, humiliation etc etc.

I suffered from, and still suffer from an addiction, and i hope to recover from that, and it would be nice to think i'm supported in that journey, just as alcoholics and drug addicts are, but i know the truth is that people in society will always just see me as a fat, lazy, greedy slob, who doesn't deserve to inhabit this planet, because i'm not pleasant on the eye.

Thanks for reading.

wobbles may be the first say i hope that the rest of your life after your op is better than the life you had before you op. and yes you are right what you say when your fat everone thinks your just a lazy slob we are not you just cant not do what you want to do all the best to you

Welldone for writing that post wobbles, I totally agree with you. I to am a emotional eater, I find solice in a bag of crisps or chocolate bar. Unfortunately we want to be best friends with food, but food has other ideas! I understand. Some people just don't, I am addicted to food and I just can not stop myself, it makes me happy, when most other things in life have failed. I am looking forward to my surgery to help control my eating and be happy with other aspects of my life too. x

Anyone reading this will know that you are a gorgeous person and deserve everything your new lease of life will give you.

Some of your post echoes my own story and it touched my heart - thankyou.:)

Aww thank you. I realise i have not given much of myself in the past, both online and in real life and it is an issue i'm currently working on and feel this is a safe start. Thank you again.

I just wanted to say that you are an incredibly strong and couragous person to overcome your past and see a future for you and your child. Obesity is an illness, a destructive illness which cannot be cured, as you say be avoidance as we need it to live.

You are not alone, at least not here as we all got to being 'big' people for one reason or another, but can hopefully support each other without judging.

I couldn't agree more

How courageous you have been in putting your story out there, I admire you. Im frightened of being judged by people so I am the same I keep my personal experiences to myself. I am an emotional eater too. It is an addiction and not just me being a slob, in fact i have 2 jobs and children i bearly get chance to sit down let alone be a slob.

Thank you so much for sharing, you have go me very emotional now. It mirrors a lot of my story too. Heres hoping the rest of your life be filled with love, happiness and good health. Take care x

Wobbles you said so many things that mirror my story. I to hide my emotions behind food and have fought a very long battle, mostly not very sucessfully, but its improved over the years and so does everyones who takes the WLS path.

Erin :hug99: I think that you are an amazing strong brave woman, far more so than you realise. You have come so far already on this journey, both physically and emotionally, and all the credit for that is due to you.

Thank you so much for trusting everyone here enough to share with us all.

what an honest and courageous post Wobbles. Thank you for sharing x

thankyou for sharing your story, you are a very brave person, i wish you all the best for your future and your weight loss journey, i hope things turn out good for you.

you are right when you say food is an addiction, im still a food addict but my wls has helped me control my food addiction, and learn to understand it a little more, it will always stay with me i think, but i have taken control, instead of the food controling my life so much.

good luck

liz x

Thanks Erin for sharing with us, it is brave and you did it very well. Your personal struggle has been very hard. You have to know that many people have been given the same types of challenges and not come out the other side - so give yourself some credit for actually improving your life instead of sliding down that depression spiral. Good for you!

As for the food addiction, I really think many people think we use that as an excuse to explain our eating but you are right in saying it is a disease that plagues us. I really did not know how addicted to food I was until after my surgery. I always justified my gross overeating to my hormones and such but now when I have a hormone spike I really can't make myself eat more than a few bites. That tells me that I was just kidding myself when I thought my hormones had control, it was the food that had the control!

Best of luck to you on your journey and congrats on your 4 stone down, it only gets better from here. I wish you fast healing for your body & your mind hun.

2009 will be your year!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

:)Nichole;)

what a brave woman yo uare Erin, to post so openly and not hold back. I think a lot of us relate to it more than we realised we ever could and that there are other people who have gone through similar experiences and feel alone. This is a big step to ssorting out some of your problems because you have admited it not just us but to yourself properly no holds barred. Lets hope you continue to grow strong in 2009 and become the person you deserve and want to be.

What a wonderful post to read. Whilst i cannot compare my personal life to yours, i too feel that your weight loss issues mirror mine.
You articulated perfectly how unjustly society views obesity in comparison to other addictions and eating disorders and summed up why its one of the hardest addictions to beat.
I know that you have a long journey ahead of you and acheiving weight loss is only part of your recovery but you are on the right track and i wish you well:)
Jayne

Thank you everyone, you're all very kind and i really appreciate all the feedback, well wishes, and support.

I hope we all succeed on our personal journies, whatever success means to each one of us individually.

*hugs to all*

Thanks for sharing your story.

I to know what parental abuse can do to a childs physical and emotional well-being and what a ripple effect that has on your whole life. I was physically and emotionally abused by my father for 11yrs.

I never mixed with people well as my confidence was so low so never had any real friends growing up, therefore, I too made food my best friend which in time became my worst enemy as well. My father left when I was 16 but I continued to abuse myself with food which resulted in my obesity and depression.

I also go out to work have 2 young children and am main carer to my elderly grandparents who have alzhiemers so am in no way a lazy slob either!!!

I was, however, lucky enough to find someone to see through the 'shell' I had become and I managed to build somewhat of a normal life. I seeked councelling and took medication for depression but still struggled to reduce and even control my weight, which is where my gastric band has stepped in.
I have 2 beautiful daughters 2 and 4 1/2 yrs and a husband who are my world.

So yes the stigma which is attached to obese people needs to change. Obesity needs to be globally recognised as an illness!!!

Back