• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pills?

bungalow_bill

Quite low just now. I am 4+ weeks post banding, have had no success losing any weight, and am finding it increasingly difficult to control my appetite.

I have another 6 weeks to go before my first fill, and in my desperation to avoid gaining any more weight I am thinking about trying some stimulant based slimming pills to give me a boost of energy and hopefully suppress my appetite.

I was on Reductil for quite a while pre-op. Although it didn't help me lose any weight, I do think it stopped me gaining for a while. My dietician is not keen for me to go back on these, but I don't want to hear him berate me for not being "compliant" again, and not being able to shed more than 2lbs.

I'm very disappointed in myself that I have not been able to make a success of this. Looking at some of the threads here, many people have made substantial losses very quickly post op, as have everyone I have spoken to in my local support group. I can't believe I have failed so spectacularly at this so quickly.

I'm so ashamed of myself as I'd built this up to be my last chance.

Has anyone had to resort to popping pills post op to get the weight off? Or give any practical advice?

Hi I have not had any surgery yet so cannot offer any advice, can however I was taking to someone on here earlier that had paid private to have the band fitted abroad and they do the first fill after nine months, she was struggling like you and was taking herbal life tablets. Not sure what they are but if you trawl through the posts you will find her she is called Karen but not sure what her forum name is and not clever enough to put on her link. I am sure there are others struggling and help will be along soon...Linda x

id listen to the advice of your consultant ring the office and explain how your feeling i was warned i may even gain weight post op as its not about loosing weight in those weeks befor first fill its about recovery letting your tummy get over the surgery im 2 wks post op and now have a normal appitite again im having to be soo carefull not to eat to much but its hard as hell im just making sure when i do eat its healthy i know once iv got restriction it will improve so hang in there . i lost weight pre op and first week but this week its trailed to 3lbs and next week i doubt il have lost any but im not dissheartened its quiet normal after a band bypassers lose alot quicker than banders , keep your chin up hun i do understand how your feeling i could eat the hind leg off a donkey at the mo

Don't feel disappointed in yourself! you have to remember that it will take a long time to break life long eating habits. You need to give yourself a break and try to be more positive.

I know you must be disappointed with your weight loss so far but taking pills may not be the answer. I would speak to your consultant and request a fill earlier.

Don't give up hope hun xx

you have not failed it is completley normal to be this way, now the initial swelling from the op has gone you will have no restriction until the 1st fill and your appetite will be normal, ring the band provider and explain you need a fill soon, once you start having fills the restriction shall come.
good luck
liz xx

hi
dont worry im 4weeks + and im very hungry and can eat alot if i let myself.. i am having a fill on the 29th sept and cant wait.. as others have said aslready ask your provider if you can have a fill sooner..
i was on phentermine appetite suppressent for years and it really messed up my metabolism so if you can dont pop the pills mate.
stick in there
goodluck
emma

Thanks for the pep talks guys. Obviously I have quite a negative outlook on life in general - just can't get the hang of this positive self talk at all. I can sometimes give myself a good kick up the backside and stop feeling so sorry for myself, but it doesn't last very long.

I have already asked my consultant for a fill sooner, but they've had trouble with their clinics - one girl I know has only has 2 fills in 14 months - so I suppose I'm lucky to have a date and have it in sight.

I was thinking about pills to give me a lift and some energy. I've been on antidepressants for 2 years, but they've never given me the get up and go that I think I need. I suppose I need to stop being such a victim, empower myself and take some responsibility - the only person that can change who/what I am is me, and its got to be me who makes the choice to live a better, healthier, more fulfilled life.

Maybe see your GP about some different anti-depressants? I know that finding the right ones certainly helped me when I was on them. Appetite suppresants are not the way to go. You will feel hungry now until your fill - I could have eaten a small donkey at about 4 weeks post op and unfortunately you do need some willpower still at this point - remember the band is only a tool and not a magic cure!
Are you eating enough? That may stop you losing as your body goes into starvation mode and hangs on to its fat supplies? I hope you find the right balance soon, but remember the hare and the tortoise - it is not a race and the band will help offer long term success, not a short term miracle! Good luck :)

just wanted to add iv just had a completly crappy food day i was so hungry waiting for my dinner to cook i ate a sandwich :( its soooo easy to give in slapped my own wrist had a guilt trip now gona try and forget about it

Dont beat yourself up we all make mistakes, I have spent the day back and forth to the kitchen, I am still pre op and think at times I will be sat here this time next year only 4 stone heavier, I cannot get my head around why I want to eat all the time. You know where your going wrong but go easy on yourself. I feel I am in a team of one, everyone else is getting the op or had the op and save for a few who have just started I am still fighting the NHS. But you will get there in the end and so will I so chin up and tomorrow is another day for both of us...Linda x

Thanks for the pep talks guys. Obviously I have quite a negative outlook on life in general - just can't get the hang of this positive self talk at all. I can sometimes give myself a good kick up the backside and stop feeling so sorry for myself, but it doesn't last very long.

I have already asked my consultant for a fill sooner, but they've had trouble with their clinics - one girl I know has only has 2 fills in 14 months - so I suppose I'm lucky to have a date and have it in sight.

I was thinking about pills to give me a lift and some energy. I've been on antidepressants for 2 years, but they've never given me the get up and go that I think I need. I suppose I need to stop being such a victim, empower myself and take some responsibility - the only person that can change who/what I am is me, and its got to be me who makes the choice to live a better, healthier, more fulfilled life.
Hi I'm with alliecat why not see about changing your anti depressants the right ones will give you the get and go. I had mine changed some time ago and generally i feel great. i have fewer bad days and do feel more positive.
Give it a go hun and try to stop being so negative on yourself xx

Be strong and try to stick with it, i'm sure we all know how easy weight can change our mood so easily. I had a very bad second week and i'm trying very hard this week, but it made me so down. See your Gp to change your anti depressent or dose. We all need some extra help sometimes. Find out when your fill is? You sound like you need a hug. You can do this!

Thank you so much for all the advice. I think you are all inspirational, and it gives me a lift just to hear some positivity.

I have wondered for quite a while if the antidepressants are doing their job. I don't think my mood is anywhere near as bad as it was 2 years ago, but I suppose I have just thought to persevere - or that this is just as good as it's going to get.

Maybe now's the time to take the bull by the horns and recognise they aren't helping. I keep expecting that one day everything will just fall into place, but I guess life is never really that straightforward.

Back