• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

has anyone been referred for WLS without having taking prescriptive slimming pills?

I am considering approaching my gp about WLS.

I am quite prepared i have to prove that fact that i have tried all diets and working onpaperwork to suport this, but i am not someone that goes to the gp often and so have not really brouhgt up my weight with him before.

The only time it was relavant was when i needed to get a clinical form completed by him in order to join Cambridge Diet as my BMI was so high. When i took it in he wasnt even there-there was a sodding locum!!!!

Anyway-as i dont see hium much he has never offered me slimming pills.

Can you still be referred for WLS without having tried pills first?

Thoughts........

I went to see my GP with a BMI of 59 to be told not only: 'No referral possible', but also that I wasn't suitable for any diet pills either. Gee, thanks!

I managed to use the subsequent overwhelming depression and anger to good effect and have lost 5 stones by myself so far.

I think it totally depends on your individual GP, and also the PCT you come under.

Best of luck to you x

all gp's are different but mine has the right to refuse referal unless all the presciption weight loss drugs has been tryed 1st, i had to go through them all, and i still had a fight on my hands after that to get a referal, 1 year later the lady gp refered me for banding.
i hope your process is easier than mine was.
good luck
liz x

My GP did not seem that worried that I had not tried them all but then I had co-morbities and that made the decision simpler for my PCT.

Surrey has a very understanding one.

I had only tried Reductil once a long time ago and took myself off them after a month as they made me ill.

So there is no real simple answer to this question, sorry.

Hi and welcome. You need to look up what your PCT criteria is for your area.

My GP couldn't refer me as my hospital wouldn't accept me unless I had tried ALL the weight loss medications. I was refered in 2007 I was turned down by the hospital, at that time I had tried xenical 3 times. I had loss 7 stones but sadly regained it. It took me another year to get refered as I had to try reductil and accomplia (since banned). I feel I have waited a year and I have gained even more weight and my health had become worse. I am now waiting for PCT funding.

Don't give up! give it a go! Good luck.

Last edited:
My GP did not seem that worried that I had not tried them all but then I had co-morbities and that made the decision simpler for my PCT.

Surrey has a very understanding one.

I had only tried Reductil once a long time ago and took myself off them after a month as they made me ill.

So there is no real simple answer to this question, sorry.

when you say surrey is very understanding???......
do you have experience of them?

I was not sure if i have co-morbities but having seen a list of them all on here i actually have quite a few!

i'm still in the the research/thinking period at the mo. trying to do as much research and thinking as much as possible before i decide to approach my gp.

Back