• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

please help, am looking for info on how to persuade my doctor to refer me

Angel73

Hi all,
i have just come across this site today. i was hoping i might be able to find some help & info on how to get my gp to refer me for gastric banding on the nhs:confused:

my bmi is 46.9 & i have yoyo'd for years with my weight & tried every diet imaginable & also medication. the tablets worked years ago they were called duromine & after alot of stress with my divorce i ended up putting all the weight back on & more. i am miserable being the size i am & its just a viscious circle, being overweight then comfort eat & never seem to feel full so continue & feel more miserable. any advice would be much appreciated.
i have read up on the gastric band procedure & i believe that it would suit me down to the ground.
so any advice??:)

Hi and welcome to minis. First you need to check that you meet the criteria for your local PCT, there is a BOSPA list floating around which lists the areas and what they deem to be adequate for them to fund. If you meet this criteria your GP should support your request, the money is not coming from him and his budget but from the PCT who hold the budget for such things. If you GP does not refer you ask the reasons why and if all else fails speak to a different GP at the surgery if at all possible. Usually the GP referral is the easy part. Good luck and be warned it can be a bumpy ride but well worth it and we will guide and support you all the way your amongst friends on here....xx

hi and welcome to minis. i would check out your local PCT to see what their criteria is and then write everything down about what the surgery would do for you then take no messing from your GP. (if only life was that simple eh!!!) but seriously do your research x

Back