• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please help, keep being sick

Beluca

It's been 5 weeks today since my bypass and I had hardly any problems in the puréed stage. Last Tuesday my dietician told me to move onto the mashed stage and ever since then I am struggling. I had cauliflower cheese on weds, low fat and very soft. It all came straight back up very quickly. Thought perhaps I had eaten too quickly and so been making a conscious effort to slow down. Today I had my porridge for breakfast (1/2 oatso simple) and a ramekin of shepherds pie for lunch. Been getting hungry at work and know I need to up protein so bought some wafer thin turkey from m&s and chewed it slowly. Did not agree with me and had to pull over on M25 on way home from work to throw up.

Tonight thought I'd have 1 homemade meatball which I'd made for kids with lean mince with some brocolli. It came straight back up :( and now I feel horrible.

I don't think it's the type of food, but I don't really know why I'm having this reaction. At the moment i can't ever imagine being able to eat normally.

X

I would call you team and discuss it, sometimes when we move on to mash there can be this problem so they should definitely be aware of it. Are you keeping anything down because if your not it's a urgent problem.

From personal experience I've been struggling with moving on to the next stage, my surgeon said that as long as I'm keeping some food down and fluids down it's something I might have to put up with for a while. To try and reduce it you can do what you were trying, eat very slowly and chew every bite a million times. Make sure you not drinking for 30 mins before your meal and I wait for 40 after a meal as I find is I go any earlier I feel queasy. I think your diet sounds ok apart from the slice of turkey, I'm not surprised that came back up. Make sure any food you eat you can mash down with the back of your fork. I'm having lots of things like mince, beans, over cooked veg, some mash potato, cheese triangles and cottage cheese. It seems to go down ok as long as I don't eat too fast or too much. If I'm trying something new I try to do it at home if at all possible.

Good luck, hopefully it's just your body adjusting to the new stage, but like I said give you provider a ring just to check what they think :) x

sounds to me like your not quite ready for the mashy food not everyone can do it in the time limit

I was sick for quite a long time,I spent a total of 4 weeks on each stage.
I ended up being given anti sickness meds to help,your body will tell you when your ready to move through the different stages.
If at any point your worried about not getting your protein in try getting some whey protein shake for the time being,or even get some marvel milk powder to add to coffee,tea,yogurts etc.

I'm in the exact same boat, I can hardly eat anything without being sick and it seems that I have a stricture and need to have an endoscopy so maybe you might need to get checked out?
Maybe go back to the foods that you can eat OK without being ill and try these other foods at a later date. Some of us take longer to heal than other and so can't tolerate a lot of new foods in our diet.

I would suggest if you like it lamb mince cook very slowly with carrots and mushrooms and gravy, it seems to go down better than beef mince I still can't tollerate beef mince. With the porridge put a little more milk and that will up the protein as well. Also try some low fat custard and banana that goes down as well. I find it hard to take in cold meat as well. If you can't keep anything down contact your team. Good luck Wendy

It's always worth trying moving back a stage if you have been sick to rest your pouch fortunately I haven't been sick as yet but sometimes can tell after two spoons if something doesn't feel right so will leave it x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Beluca said:
It's been 5 weeks today since my bypass and I had hardly any problems in the puréed stage. Last Tuesday my dietician told me to move onto the mashed stage and ever since then I am struggling. I had cauliflower cheese on weds, low fat and very soft. It all came straight back up very quickly. Thought perhaps I had eaten too quickly and so been making a conscious effort to slow down. Today I had my porridge for breakfast (1/2 oatso simple) and a ramekin of shepherds pie for lunch. Been getting hungry at work and know I need to up protein so bought some wafer thin turkey from m&s and chewed it slowly. Did not agree with me and had to pull over on M25 on way home from work to throw up.

Tonight thought I'd have 1 homemade meatball which I'd made for kids with lean mince with some brocolli. It came straight back up :( and now I feel horrible.

I don't think it's the type of food, but I don't really know why I'm having this reaction. At the moment i can't ever imagine being able to eat normally.

X

Hi just wondered how you are getting on this week? :)

stay on a super mashed stage a bit longer it could be too soon for your tum to have meatball and ham no matter how well chewed!I had mash and tinned minced lamb from Morrisons or mash and the cheese sauce from fish in sauce.Lots of milky coffee,peanut butter,cheese spreads.

Back