• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Port Pain :(

coralie

Hello All,

I had the Gastric Band fitted 3 weeks ago and have healed very nicely, a couple of tiny bits of stitches left, but clean, neat wounds.

Out of the blue, suddenly i have a really nasty pain around where my port wound is. I can feel the port bump more easily now, perhaps it is just because the swelling has gone down?

When i raise my left arm above my head it helps to ease the pain. Sharp stabbing pains and generally a nasty constant ache, especially when touched and when i bend over.

I remember reading that you can get stabbing pains when the nerve endings start to heal, could it be this?

I will call WLS Group tomorrow if it persists- just hoping someone might be able to shed some light!

...I wish it was because my layers of fat had deminished! :)

the port takes the longest to heal 6 weeks is general as its a forign body just under the skin some can have port pain up to 6 months until the body starts to accept it, when bending it sticks in tissue and this is why its uncomfy, if i sleep on my front still now i wake up with a bruised feeling around my port area x

its perfectly normal try not to worry, if the port wound has healed it will be ok x

Thank you! I feel less worried now!...I'm hoping to heal more 6 weeks, as apposed to 6 months though!
What would i do without you my twin banded genius?! :)

once healed try not to lay the wrong way on the port as it sticks in the tissue muscle as it will be stitched to a muscle to stop it floating off, its the muscle its stitched to that will be causing you the discomfort, you will learn more as time gets on what effects it and what doesnt.

where is your port located coralie ?

My port wound is about 10cm under my left boob.
I'm pretty sure i was sleeping on my tummy for some of last night...This is probably the reason it is sore today.
Will i not be able to sunbathe on my front again?? :(

Fern Britton was just on Alan Carr 'Chatty Man' showing him how the Gastric Band works...even let him feel where her port was! Oh Er!

My port wound is about 10cm under my left boob.
I'm pretty sure i was sleeping on my tummy for some of last night...This is probably the reason it is sore today.
Will i not be able to sunbathe on my front again?? :(

it will be sore yes if you have lay on it at this early stage, my first port was located in the same place as yours, you will be able to sun bath on front but lay with your weight slightly to the good side and you will be fine x

Fern Britton was just on Alan Carr 'Chatty Man' showing him how the Gastric Band works...even let him feel where her port was! Oh Er!

its good that fern can now speak out confidently about her band and show people theres no shame in having wls x

Hi Coralie

how are you feeling today?

do you have a date yet for your x-ray? the reason being is that when I had my x-ray it was then that I found out my port had flipped onto it's side and they were unable to do a fill.

my port has been prominent since approx 2 weeks post op...when I lie down on my back there's a visible bump, but I just thought my weight must have been coming off around my rib area and that was how it should be :eek:

I wasn't getting any pain with it though and have only had some discomfort since the Dr tried to do the fill...he had tried to manipulate the port to gain access...I've got to have corrective surgery to anchor the port in place again.

Please do not worry...this probably is not what has happened to you, but if you're having pain, try to speak with your bariatric nurse :hug99:

Hi Coralie

I still got twinges around the port area. I I have my first fill at 4.00 today and will just check with them that everything is ok.

I must admit that since Yvonne found her port had flipped I have been feeling a bit concerned that mine may have - just me being paranoid! x

hi mazza, hi coralie you 2 have me worried now!! i hope everything goes ok for you today mazza, and hope your pain eases coralie omg only 5 days to go !!!!!! xxxheather

Exciting stuff Heather- how are you hanging in with the pre-op diet?

Yvonne- You have put the fear of God into me now! :) I was told that my surgeon stitched my port onto my tummy muscle- I know in France the surgeon does not always stitch the port to anything and they can flip? Scary stuff- what will they do to correct it?
My port is not visable and seems quite deep.
The company i am with (WLS Group) do not x-ray during fills, unless there is a suspected problem. They do very little fills, often.

Gaynor- 41lbs in 8 weeks is amazing!! Did you plateau at any time? I have been stuck at 16st for 1.5 weeks now, despite being very good!

Mazza- Your fill is in 30 mins...I have been so excited for you! Good Luck, let me know how it goes!!

Port pain was quite full on last night and i ended up taking paracetamol and putting a pillow on my tummy for support. It seems better today...I'm hoping i just slept on it by mistake and it just feels bruised!

Yvonne- You have put the fear of God into me now! :) I was told that my surgeon stitched my port onto my tummy muscle- I know in France the surgeon does not always stitch the port to anything and they can flip? Scary stuff- what will they do to correct it?
My port is not visable and seems quite deep.
The company i am with (WLS Group) do not x-ray during fills, unless there is a suspected problem. They do very little fills, often.

Hi Coralie

yes they do stitch them to the tummy muscles...they must have come undone on mine as the port is on it's side.

I was talking with the bariatric nurse the day after my x-ray and she said that the x-ray is only to check that the band is in the correct place, not to check the port...the clinicians can tell by feeling whether the port is located correctly which is why subsequent fills can be done at a more local clinic to where I live.
I'm getting the correction done this Thursday so fingers crossed all will be well after that...hopefully he will do my first fill at the same time.

sorry, I didn't want to scare you but I didn't for a second think there would have been any problem with mine.

Good luck for Thursday! Will you have another general anesthehetic? How do they flip right side up again?
I hope the fill goes ahead too...2 birds, one stone! :)

Good luck for Thursday! Will you have another general anesthehetic? How do they flip right side up again?
I hope the fill goes ahead too...2 birds, one stone! :)

Hi, yes another general anaesthetic but it's not as bad as original op as there will be no gas involved so no wind pain etc...should be quick, but don't know yet whether I need to stay overnight or just a day patient.

hi coralie im not doing too badly up til today i felt great and have lost 10 pnds but i have felt very light headed today, and had a yucky bout of ibs which i hav`nt suffered with for ages, so i phoned coleen and she told me to have something more to eat at tea time as ive done quite well up til now so soup and roasted veg for tea yum!!! xxheather

My port feels heaps better thankyou!

I have been sleeping on my side with a pillow on my tummy to support it. I'm a tummy sleeper!

Yvonne- so glad to hear your corrective surgery went well and you also have your first fill!!

:)

Back