• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice please

Hi, Everyone,
For quite some time I've been getting sharp, cramp-like pains in my side, mainly under my ribs, but sometimes it feels like it goes straight through to my back. This is mainly on my right side, but sometimes on the left, as well. I also have pain under my right shoulder (but not left shoulder). The pain can come on when I am sitting down, but comes on practically every time I bend over. The pain is very intense and can last quite some time. Has anyone got any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited:
HIya - doesn't sound like gall stones to me - that's acute on the right like a babies foot shoved up the rib cage and it squeezes. I have no idea as you are pre-op but it almost sounds like wind (not trying to demean the pain)..I would give the doc a shout. Is it like a stitch pain?

Hmm ok - try this for reference..
Encyclopedia of Family Health - Google Books

If you are not pregnant sometimes it can be a urine infection but check it out with a professional as I have been out of nursing for a few years now and any advise given on here is just 'rule of thumb' stuff! Fuze may be able to help and there is another lady who is still nursing but give your health centre a call. BTW - how long has it been going on?

Hmm ok - try this for reference..
Encyclopedia of Family Health - Google Books

If you are not pregnant sometimes it can be a urine infection but check it out with a professional as I have been out of nursing for a few years now and any advise given on here is just 'rule of thumb' stuff! Fuze may be able to help and there is another lady who is still nursing but give your health centre a call. BTW - how long has it been going on?

It's been going on for ...
OMG now I think about it, a couple of years!! but the 'episodes' are getting more frequent.
I have been to my gp once, but that was quite some time ago. I take tabsfor my high cholesterol and I know one of the side effects can be cramps. Because the pain I get is a 'cramp' type pain I thought it might be a side effect of the tabs, so I went to my gp and had my medication reduced. Can't say it's done anything for the pains, though.
Reading what others have posted, about gall stones, I have started to wonder if that's my problem, but I really am in the dark.
Thanks

Last edited:
I have been to my gp once, but that was quite some time ago. I take Simvastatin for my high cholesterol and I know one of the side effects can be cramps. Because the pain I get is a 'cramp' type pain I thought it might be a side effect of the tabs, so I went to my gp and had my medication reduced. Can't say it's done anything for the pains, though.
I am not a Dr but I was taken off Simvastatin because of side effects of joint and muscle pain and your description of the pain and the effects of reducing your dosage don't sound like it to me.

When I was taken off the medication the symptoms actually stopped within 48 hours - it was pretty miraculous. (This was what the GP told me to expect so it must be the norm I suppose)

Unfortunately it didn't stop my other muscular/skeleton/nervous system problem like sciatica, arthritis and frozen shoulders but it definitely removed a significant layer of the pain :D Which was great!

On a different statin now and, to date, no problems.

love

TillyBob

The only advice you need here is get your backside off to see your GP. If its getting worse then it needs sorting honey, you don't want this affecting your surgery progress so get it looked at quickly xxx

Back