• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Port repositioning surgery booked, have ?'s

Chickadee

Hi all
Relative newby here but have been reading for ages. My story is band fitted 2005, lost 12 stone within 18 months. Had to have emergency de fill at around the 2 year mark as got the flu and couldn't swallow water. Fast forward to feb last year and the fight started to try and get follow up funded on nhs as my circumstances had changed and couldn't afford nor get to Southampton for fills. Finally got to see Mr Slater last November for consultation and he put a small fill in. Had to then fight for funding for adjustments which was granted in August. For the last year I have been experiencing really bad abdo pains back and forward to gp, physio, barium swallow etc nothing helping. My surgeon thinks its most definitely the band and port causing the pain. Went for a fill late oct and my band had completely flipped and he couldn't access it at all so advised re positioning it, pct agreed funding and I'm booked for 15th December in Chichester.
Looking for advice from anyone that's had their port relocated, what's the pain like after? Will I go back to liquids? Is he likely to put a fill in while he has the port handy? Are they likely to completely move its position (mine is now on low left bottom of ribs).

Phew was only popping on to post quickly and ended up with life story! If you got this far thanks for reading!

Ta, chick x

I can't help but I am sure someone ll come along soon to answer ur question good luck and welcome ::)

Hi nikki
Yep I get pains shooting up my neck from my shoulder etc, it's like the wind pain after the op, always on the left side. I'm concerned if they move port to chest as don't want bra rubbing on it. Sounds like you've had a bad time with the band, I think before too long my surgeon will suggest a revision as the pain I'm in daily is ruining my life to be honest. However my bmi is now 36 so nhs won't touch me and can't afford to go private for revision! Plus am scared of bypass due to severity of the op, been reading about sleeve which I may consider if I win the lottery!
Thanks for your reply and I wish you every success, keep going with your pct and you may get what you're asking for. Mine would rather he takes the band out and I go up to top 40's bmi before they'll think of revision but they're all so different.

Chick xx

I've just recently had my port repositioned and some of the tubing replaced because there was a kink in it. The surgeon said that my band was also quite badly stuck to my stomach wall when he opened me up. I've got one scar about 2-3 inches long. The port area was sore for a couple of weeks and I was told by the dietician to have 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks soft food (the consistency of baby food) and 2 weeks mushy food. Hope I've put you in the picture a little bit more and good luck with everything x

Thank you for your reply, forewarned is forearmed! Sounds like more of a recovery than I was expecting but good to be realistic. Hope it all goes well for you now.

Chick x

hi just a quickie i had a replacement port done under a local and a second replacemnet done under a general so i know what its like both senarios the second under a general was a breeze, i ended up will all sorts of pain from the local one i guess they dont do as much tugging and pulling on a local! by the way ive had two leaks a leaky port and pierced tubing very rare i hasten to add! i was raring to go back to work after a week with a general but took two weeks recovery with the local i have some pics on my profile at the extent of the swelling and brusing ,i had none with the general so all i can say you should be pleased you are having port revision under a general good luck and keep us posted on your op any other question feel free to ask away!xx

Hiya , I had my port redone under Local . And tbh I didnt find it any more painful then the banding op itself. Wishing you all the best xx

Thank you blue diamond can I ask you if you had any dietary restrictions after? Just looking ahead to Xmas day being 10 days after op!!!

Thanks again, chick

Thank you blue diamond can I ask you if you had any dietary restrictions after? Just looking ahead to Xmas day being 10 days after op!!!

Thanks again, chick

Your welcome any thing to help. Yes I did have dietary restrictions. I had to go back to the post op diet....liquids, puree's, mush, then solids etc......But and I say But, thats because I couldnt have a fill until my port had been repositioned because It had flipped upside down and needless to say they could not do a fill until it had been corrected. But if someone already has a fill and its just a port repositioning without a fill I dont see why dietary requirements would be put into place ( but thats just me talking out loud) xxx

Hi all
Welli I think it's sinking in now and the nerves are starting can't wait to hopefully stop experiencing daily stitch type pains but am worried about the op and general anaesthetic now.
Am wondering whether I should try and give up smoking before the op? I'm not having a pre op and haven't received any paper work confirming the op despite chasing it up, have an awful feeling it's going to be cancelled too......
Urgh why am I such a stress head???
Chick x

Back