• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POSE Surgery

Hi Hopefour,

Yep, my surgeon and his partner are switching hospitals. The hospital they were at is terrible (that's where I had mine done).
They are now changing to the best hospital system in this area with three highly rated facilities: Lee Memorial, Cape Coral, and Gulfcoast.
They changed office locations also. My doctor is Dr. Martin Barrios and I can't say enough good things about him. They have a website, Floridaincisionless.com. I don't know when they will resume their surgery schedule, but will ask him at my next appointment.

They performed the Wi-Fi for me, that's Pose plus repair of a Hiatal Hernia at the same time.
I will say both procedures have worked: I have no more heartburn and have now lost 20 pounds.

I feel the surgery was well worth it, its an easy recuperation and is working for me.

If you read some of previous messages here, you will see that not everyone has as good results as I did.
Some indicated that they did not get that full feeling like they expected.

Pose is a big help in controlling food intake, but you still must diet, I am restricting carbs which eliminates much of my hunger by itself.

Then when I eat, I get full very quickly.

Another factor is the amount of weight you want to lose, Pose is recommended for 30 to 40% weight loss.
If larger amounts need to be banished, take a look at the sleeve.
But looking at your post again, I see that does not apply to you.

Nope, have not heard anyone say they regret having it done.
Keep us informed! :p:p

Last edited:
Hi Lynda

How's things going ,are you fed up with the liquid diet yet? Im so over living on soup .Ii'm not really hungry yet but still early days .

Hi Liz,

I am SO fed up with the liquid diet and am now looking at what I can have Thursday - yaaay! Cottage cheese, custard, pureed mince-type things sound wonderful. Sometimes I feel really hungry and it takes more than the prescribed 250mls of milk/soup for me to feel satisfied. Not a good sign I'm thinking. I went to the gym this morning and did about half an hour of Zumba. Felt ok-ish but I think we have to remember that we may be lacking in nutrients and proteins etc. at this point.
Let me know how your weigh-in goes this week. Good luck with it.

Lyn xxx

Hi

I've had a few hunger pangs but they soon pass .I
wasn't given any limits on how much to eat i'm having 2 tins of soup , 3 yoghurts plus a couple of ice lollies do you think this is too much .Im dying to get weighed .My work trousers feel so much better already well at least there not cutting me in 2 anymore .Roll on mashed tuna ha ha ha.

No, I don't think that's too much - especially if it keeps you feeling satisfied. And it's still liquids so you're keeping to the 'rules'. I was told to keep within the 1200 calories even at this early stage.
Nobody's said anything to me along the lines of "Have you lost a bit of weight?" so I'm guessing there's not much happening in that direction. Think I'll be a 'slow-burn' type. Well, that's what I tell myself anyway.

Lyn xxx

Your doing great and sticking to the rules also .I wasn't given any figures about calories in fact i was only given a list of liquids but no amounts.I have only been on about 500-600 cals so maybe i havn't been eating enough .I thought the hospital should have been monitoring your progress .You should contact them as i'm sure you won't have been left alone with no help or information even if it's only a courtesy call from them .Roll on solids

Hi Lynda /Shax

How's it going today .Cottage cheese at last how easily pleased are we.I lost 4lb this week but i would imagine it's going to slow down a bit more next week that usually happens .Hope you both did ok.

I don't think I've lost anything this week but I've just had a chat with my surgeon and he doesn't seem too concerned. Strange. Anyway, looking forward to 'real' food even if it's mush.
You're doing great, Liz. Well done - oh, that sounds so patronizing but it's not meant to be. Think I'm a bit 'green'.

Lynda xx

Just a note to those who have posted wondering about Von. She is doing well and has lost over 20 pounds! She can't post here anymore, but I talk to her sometimes on another forum. She hopes everyone is doing well.

Hi Lyn

I spoke to the nurse again today and she said its quite normal for weight loss to be really odd and not like a normal diet .It's going to slow down as we start to eat more .I'm not bothered as long as it keeps the hunger at bay .

Hi Liz,
Well and truly fell off the wagon today. Think it's psychological (as in despondent about the small weight loss) so I'll have to get back on it again tomorrow.
How's your weightloss going? I suspect it's good and you don't want to tell me, hah hah......
Actually I spoke to the surgeon (before today happened) and he seemed to think that it's ok as well. We'll see.
What are you now going on to eat for the next couple of weeks? I just had some mince in bolognese sauce with chopped peppers, onion and garlic - no pasta, though. Really tasty after the last two weeks!

Lyn xx

It happens don't stress .I had an omelette (chopped up )today rather than scrambled eggs with cottage cheese .I called in to a health food store today and asked for advice ,they said stick to low or non carb foods .I was expecting this, i'm so sick of soup now i don't know how we can do another couple of weeks on it . I still think it's the cost of the operation that's motivating me rather than anything else .i do feel hungry sometimes .Don't beat yourself up about it it's only one day . I don't think i would be able to get through this without this forum now . I'm gonna try extra lean mince with low Sugar tinned tomatoes your spag bol sounds nice even without the pasta .Eggs and fat free cottage cheese . OOH i had a half slice of bread the other day it was truly fabulous.......oh a friend of mine is having a gastric band next week i did think about that but didn't want to be in pain after the op .Well i will see how she does compared to us !!!!

Last edited:
Hi Liz,

Yes, this site does help you to realise you're not on your own and what you are going through, regardless of the procedure, is being experienced by other people, too.
Well, it will be interesting to see how your friend does on the gastric band. POSE is so much less invasive, without open wounds that allow infection in.
I still say I wish I didn't have so much hunger going on. When I next speak to the surgeon I'm gonna have to ask the question: Why don't I feel that different? I wondered if the gastric sleeve would have been a better option ('cos I'm a grazer) but I didn't have that choice.
Keep in touch, Liz. Enjoy the rest of the week-end.

Lyn xx

Hello
I have just joined the site and have appreciated being able to read about your experiences. I have made the decision to have sugery after 7 long years of trying dismally to shift weight using a whole heap of methods...
I have 3-4 stone to lose and am trying to decide between POSE v gastric band.
Any feedback re your experience would be much appreciated as I am getting myself in a real tangle! May i ask what your weight losses have been like?
Many thanks
Tootsx

I have lost 23 pounds since my Pose - I have more to lose, but am satisfied with the results so far. Especially since it was incision-less! Have you seen information about the laparoscopic sleeve type procedure - Laparoscopic Gastric Plication by Texas Laparoscopic Consultants. That looks interesting also.

Thank you for your reply; 23lbs is fab, i don't think I have ever lost that much!
I have not seen re the other procedure but am keen on the idea of anything incisionless!! I am stuck re this or Banding due to rate/amount of loss....big choice....everyone one here seems to be doing really well though.

I would also appreciate knowing re how many times you have to go to the hospital as I live near devon + Leeds is cheapest option ( depending on number of visits) and if there are any definite 'no no' foods after the procedure

Thank you.... Sooooooo many questions.....am very glad to have found this site :)
Tootsx

Last edited:
I had to go to the hospital for pre-op testing (blood, urine etc.)and one more time for an endoscopy a couple of days before the procedure. Not everyone has to go for the endoscopy, but I was having a hiatal hernia repair along with the Pose, so that all depends on your doctor's orders.

After the procedure, the restriction is liquids only for 2 weeks, then pureed foods for the next 2 weeks, and the last 2 weeks only soft foods. Here again, not all physicians institute the same regimen.

I am on a calorie restricted, low carb diet and am tolerating it well as I am rarely hungry and when I eat, I am satisfied quickly.

For instance here is what I ate today:
Breakfast: Eggcream
2 almonds

Lunch: 3oz Turkey
1/2 oz cheese
2 almonds

Dinner: 5 oz Pork Chop
2 almonds

That's it - I won't get hungry again until after my morning walk tomorrow.

third weigh in

hi guys,
went for my third weigh in yesterday.

11th may operation
Highest weight 19st
Pre op diet:17.5
Lost fifteen pounds on three weeks milk and yoghurt diet.
11-5-11:17.2
17-5-11:11lbs weight loss:16.1
24-5-11:3lbs:15.12
31-5-11: 5lbs: 15.7

cant wait for real food had enough tuna beans soup and broth!!

Hi there
Eastbruce thank you for information; really helpful.
Shax- amazing weightloss, well done :)
I am off to Southampton tomorrow morning to meet Mr Byrne re the procedure, excited and terrified all at once..... And armed with a billion questions....
Shax, may I ask how long it took to feel ok after you had it done, and what foods etc have been allowed after?
Many thanks
Tootsx

:)

Hi toots,

I done milk and yoghurt for three weeks pre op, then went on clear liquids for 24 hours before the op. after the op i just sipped ice all day. had back and shoulder pain with trapped wind.

The next day I had severe trapped wind and a couple of sleepless nights, but apart from that no pain.

I had clear liquids (ice lollies, chicken yakhni) consomme is horrible.

day 4-14 i had fat free cream soup (weight watchers) semi skimmed milk, and fruit smoothies.

day15-29
tuna, beans more smoothies and lentil soups.

day 30 is when i will start having smoother moore normal foods like rice pasta etc

Any more questions then fire away!!

Back