• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post op advice anyone

wHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW. - WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A LOOK AT THE BYPASS DAILY MENU THREAD ALL THE ADVICE IS THERE BUT ALWAYS ASK IF YOU NEED TO. XX

NO QUESTION IS A SILLY ONE XX

I have my bypass on 28th jan any advice on post op would be appreciated :)

Life goes on, eating out etc and normal things so don't focus on the things you will miss because you may not miss anything! I am lucky and can eat anything, just reduced sizes.
Stay positive x

Thanks. I was thinking along the lines of how long it takes to feel ok again im also wondering how I will cope etc.

I was out having coffee with friends after a week and felt fab 2-3 weeks after.
Came home from Hosp and only needed paracetamol. Less pain than having my wisdom teeth out- honestly!

Thats reassuring thank you. I have 2 horses and really want to know how long ill be out of action.

2-3 weeks for physical stuff I would say.
Another piece of advice is get some thermals. You will really feel the cold x

Thanks!! Im out in the cold always so I will do that. Do u mean 2-3 weeks for like riding or longer? Ha sorry im excited yet nervous x

Thats reassuring thank you. I have 2 horses and really want to know how long ill be out of action.
I'd say if you can drive then you can ride! Mucking out and feeding etc I'd say a week post op but get some help and rest in between tasks. Don't skip drink or meals whilst away from home! Pain for most is a couple of days. After that comes tenderness and wind/stitch type pains on and off. Muscles ache and energy is very low and with that can come dizziness. I'm 5 days post bypass revision and so far this is my experience. I'm a total baby but haven't needed any pain relief since my 2 days in hospital. I'd say I'm pretty typical! Two horses is too many..... Give one to me :)

This is music to my ears I was thinking 2 months!! My husband will be pleased as he is on mucking out duty haha. Im such a baby too im terrible so fingers crossed ill be ok too. Aww they are my babies and my life x

This is music to my ears I was thinking 2 months!! My husband will be pleased as he is on mucking out duty haha. Im such a baby too im terrible so fingers crossed ill be ok too. Aww they are my babies and my life x

Tell hubby mucking out is a no no for a month but riding is okay!!!!

The first thing I'm going to do is ride once I've dropped 3 stone. Can't wait ;-)

I love it thats one of my reasons im sick of being a lump on my poor horses! What's your story? X

I have to be honest, I disagree with the above! Riding will use your core muscles, driving a car doesn't. You shouldn't be doing anything physical like that until you have your teams go ahead. My surgical team said yes at my six week check. if you start too early you risk a hernia.

Thank you yvessa I will be asking my team when I see them just wanted to know what others thought.

I was told no exercise/heavy lifting for 6 weeks, the first 2-3 weeks I felt ok but a bit weak (lack of food if anything) I had no pain relief at all post op as I didn't need any.

The best advice I can give is don't measure your weight/inches loss by others on the forum. It doesn't matter how well we do most of us at some point come across someone who is doing 'better' and start to doubt how well we are doing.

We are all different and we all lost in different ways. xx

Hey. I should have said I rode 2 weeks following my band reposition. Not quite as invasive as bypass and I was 12st at the time!
Just gentle walking etc. I had my providers go ahead and of course we must all seek their advice first... That's a given!
I will add though as a horse rider our core muscles are stronger to begin with despite the extra layers!!!! I can only add my own experience but my advise is that you will know when you're ready and take it steady to start with whilst you build your fitness back up. Most of all enjoy and be sensible!!

I drive like a rally driver anyway hence my comparison ;-0

Back