• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post-op ins and outs of different surgeries?

Stinie

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the differences between the different weight loss surgeries please.

I don't mean the actual surgeries as I have read loads about them but does anyone know which surgery is best for what type of person? As in overeating, sweet tooth, self discipline and all that. I'm trying to work out which surgery would be best for me.

I was originally thinking I wanted the band as it seems a bit less invasive (read less scary) but after reading people's diaries etc on here I am unsure if that really is the right option for me. I eat too much, too often and all the wrong things plus I have a sweet tooth (more like 10 sweet teeth actually). Also my self discipline could be a lot better and I hate excercise. My BMI is just under 50 so I have quite a lot to get rid of.

xxx

I knew the band was not for me as I ate a lot of ice cream etc that would still he able to slide down x

Gastric bypass was the only choice for me, as I knew it would drastically reduce my portion sizes. Plus the fear of dumping on fatty/sugary foods was and still is an excellent deterrent, that keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Sleeve for me!!

1. Permanent solution
2. No fills or defills (once its done its done)
3. I have a sweet tooth too and didnt want dumping as I want to eat as a 'normal' person, for me its portion control I needed and a sleeve seems to offer more restriction than the other surgery's (my opinion)
4. I want children, and didn't want to risk malnutrition (although many bypassers have healthy pregnancys)
5. For me, a sleeve keeps the digestive route as it should be. I couldnt find enough evidence of the impact to your body passing food straight though (if that makes sense)

I originally wanted a band, but once I read and researched I realised that choosing a life changing surgery on the basis it could be removed, (that was my reason) was stupid of me and I'm very happy with my sleeve

Its an individual choice. Good Luck xxx

A band is not the best for grazers. It is great for people with big appetites eating huge portions this is what my surgeon told me. He told me the appointment before me was refused a band as the girl ate mostly chocolate throughout the day and very rarely sat down to a meal

Good luck on your choice x

sleeve sleeve sleeve... i second every syllable Helenangelfish says i was going to go for band but as a sweet toothed grazer of mammoth portions i know ill cheat on a band and i actually have watched a friend with a band stuff 3 courses down, shocked to then learn she had a band fitted.

i want my life back - and this is the best tool for me

xxxxx

I am a grazer and a sweet eater but had a band fitted ........... by rights it shouldn't work for me but just the knowing i've put myself thru surgery is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow :) plus it allows me to eat relatively 'normal' i still enjoy choc, crisps and icecream but all in moderation :)

Like crystal I am a grazer with a band. My team recommend I have a bypass but I didn't feel it was right for me for several personal reasons. So far the band is working for me without a fill. takes a lot of determination but worth it when you experience results. Good luck with your journey whichever path you take. Xx

I apologise in advance if I upset anyone, but I am going to offer an honest answer based on my own experiences here.
I originally wanted the band, until I thoroughly researched all options and spoke to people I know personally who have had various wls. For me, the bypass is the better option. Plus, the potential risks after surgery are actually less with the bypass than they are with the band.
I know people who have had the bypass, sleeve and band and although there are a lot of successes on here, out of everyone that I know personally everyone who opted for the sleeve or band have regained weight. I think this is probably because it doesn't really force a person to totally change their eating habits, they can still eat basically what they want in terms of biccys, ice cream, pastries,pies etc etc. For me, although I've never really had a sweet tooth, the fear of dumping prevents me from eating things that I shouldn't be eating anyway. I am very vigilant about fats and sugars etc.
The other thing is that none of the options will work if you don't have the correct mind set beforehand. I've seen people on here and other forums actually complaining because they don't want to give up wine/alcohol or fizzy drinks, or sweets. To be honest, although I probably shouldn't be, I am still shocked at such things. I just don't understand why anyone would put their bodies through major surgery and come out the other side still wanting to consume the same stuff that helped to make us fat in the first place.

Thanks everyone. I know it's not an easy decision to make and i will have to be brutally honest with myself. I suppose that's the one good thing that comes with all this waiting - i will have time to really think it through.

Xx

My surgeon would not consider me for an alternative op as my BMI was 35.5 I think.

I am really happy wih my band.. Although I can be a grazer, my main problem was portion size. I could literally eat a meal meant for a family of four...or I could.

I still get hungry, but fill up pretty quickly.

I try to avoid empty calories, have had a couple of cheats, but what I now consider a binge is 2 glasses of wine and two packets of peanuts. Lol. I had that at the weekend and tortured myself about lol. It took my calorie count for the day to around 1100. When I consider the cost of the op and the cost to my body undergoing the surgery, it reins me in. I have still to pay for the op:-( and am not intending to have any chocolate until I do...which is likely to be three years....lol....let's see how that works out eh?

This is always going to get loads of different opinions lol everyone will always champion the surgery they've had .....until it no longer works for them LOL
For me after many years of being sooooooooo poorly, the last thing i wanted or needed was such drastic surgery. I lived in fear most days i was going to die anyway but i needed the help. Tbh for me over indulgence were not my main concern,it was not being able to move enough to burn any amount of calories .......... the band gave me that leg up :) Since having my band i have been empowered and inspired to make all the right choices now for myself. I don't mind admitting to eating naughty things, i think its part of having a normal life, which i'm all for. I am also very pleased to say my band is still empty and 6 1/2 stone down since feb . I live and learn daily about myself, my moods and how that affects what i eat...... so its been a huge learning cure. For me that is key to my long term success :) i wish you all the best on your journey, make your choice on what suits you better.

When you have a sleeve, does it stretch at all after so long? Debbie

Only if the person stretches it - pushing food intake, fizzy drinks etc.

Any weight loss surgery is a tool to help make the impossible, possible.

I know 3 people who have had a bypass and gained back most of their weight. One has now had a fobi ring (not sure if it's the correct word) put around her stomach so it's even smaller. (She had to go private as NHS wouldn't find that)

xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I agree with paula the bypass was the only way for me ineed triggers like the dumping to stop me making mistakes even if it scares me a little
Its clearly a much bigger surgery but I was so prepared for it but they had done the sleeve I would have tried to be happy as the end goal is still the same but knowing I could carry on as before wouldnt stop me from doing just that so for me it HAD to be the bypass

bypass all the way or sleeve if that wasnt possible band was never going to be on my radar though i dont have a sweet tooth my bmi and comorbidies said bypass all the way and the surgeon agreed luckily and i have no regrets as yet never dumped or anything fingers crossed

Back