• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op Keyhole/scars that are hot to touch?

Bluebutterflier

Bouncing Bander
I had my surgery a few days ago...and where the 5 keyhole scars are, some of them are hot to touch...and a couple of them are itchy....

Is this normal?

Obviously I havent taken the bandage plasters off the holes yet....and I know theres dissolvable stitches underneath there....Ive been told not to take the plasters off for 5-6 days...

But the heat thats coming from them, I wonder if its infected, healing, inflammed or what?
Most of them are tender....the highest one between my boobs is very tender, and the lowest one on the left side is very sore...

Hi

I don't think mine where hot to the touch or tender, other than the sixth one where they put a drain in, I would wait a few more days and pop one of the dressings of to check for infection, they should have given you a few dressings to replace any that came off. If there is any signs of redness or swelling I would go see you GP and get some anitbiotics before itmgets too bad. But it will probably be ok.

Paul

Last edited:
Hot to touch is a sign of infection , get them checked tomorrow , don't wait till after weekend xx

Itchy usually means healing hot and red means infection. I would check your temp and book an appt with Gp.

I think I overreacted....The skins hot to touch...not the holes....Ive taken an anti-inflammatory today, see if it calms...I think its all healing, as I pulled one of the bandage plasters back and it all looks healthy...

Just keep an eye on them and if you start to feel unwell then get them checked by your GP. x

Mine only ever got itchy when they was healing , I had mine checked over after a few days via the gp's nurse when I had the dressing changed. xx

Mine only ever got itchy when they was healing , I had mine checked over after a few days via the gp's nurse when I had the dressing changed. xx

Good Idea blue...Just called my Gp's surgery to say about it, the triage nurse will call back with an idea of when I can pop in to get dressings changed and scars looked at....Just to be on the safe side....The anti inflammatories have calmed the heat down a lot though, so I may mention this...to get some more, as it was my partners tablet I took. (I used to be on Naproxen for my shoulder, and only recently came off them, so I knew they were ok)

i used to get really hot scars wen i had a fill with my band i went to dr who gave me antibiotics this happened a few times be careful seek advice x

Grrrr Im annoyed with my GP surgery!....I called them, told them I may have inflammation and perhaps an infection on my wounds and they said a triage nurse would get back to me by calling me. No such thing...so I called again, to be told they had my incorrect number. My correct number was then given, and still nothing....Then I called again and the surgery was closed!.....So I rang the out-of-hours emergency Doctors...Who said, you live nearby the Victoria hospital in Lewes, can you possibly go there, and the non-emergency department will check your dressings and see if theres anything they can do.

SOooooo I went to the hospital....to be told that:
a) The bandages looked like they were sealed, so its best to leave them be incase of infection after removing.
b) Even if there was an infection, antibiotics couldnt be prescribed there?
c) I should go to my GP's Surgery (lol - I then explained the whole back-forth crap)
d) Theres no redness around my dressings, even if they are hot to touch, it doesnt look infected.
e) If theres internal infections, they wont be able to tell
f) if I have a temperature, start being sick, or have severe abdominal pains, to contact the out of hours emergency doctor

So basically they quickly took my temperature in both ears, had a look at the dressings and said to go home and keep an eye out for anything listed in (f).

Ive been re-reading my information...and I think the one keyhole that ive been worrying about, as its been very sore, and hot...is the one where the port is. As its bigger than the rest, I can see this, and theres more of the stick on stitchy things under the plaster than the others which only have one...this one has 3.

So the slight yellow I was seeing and thinking may actually be an infection may infact be bruising as its going a different colour now. and the heat may be from my left boob laying on it....

Im keeping an eye on it all but feel more relieved by reading my info pack and going to the hospital...

Blue have you had to wear a non wired bra because of your wounds?

I have developed an infection in 3 of my incisions mine were not hot just painful all the time. I have an excellent GP and when I called they saw we 30 mins later. Keep and eye on it and go back if your worried. My GP always says "you know your body better than me so I will listen to you". Hope you get it sorted x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I had a reaction from the plasters they put on after surgery maybe your having that too?

Ah didnt think of that....and yes, usually when I have a blood test, the sticky tape or plaster does go red and itchy like after....

I feel a lot more positive that it is infact just the port and bruising now...heat has gone...no redness...just loads of wonderful bruising colours round the 2cm hole one....

I havent opened any of the bandage plasters as they are tightly stuck and keeping everything out....I'll wait till monday morning, pop along to my surgery to see the nurse, and get her to take them off and see if everythings ok....as that will be day 6 after the hospital and this is when my paperwork tells me to take the bandage plasters off, but leave the sticky stitches on....until they fall off.

I was told 4 days, so will remove my only dressing tomorrow. But am worried as the dressing covers the drain wound, but it has been taped over one of the incisions!

Back