• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre op assessment.

zetacatty

A loser at last!
Is it possible to 'fail' your pre-op assessment and have surgery refused?

I think the only thing would be if you had MRSA hun, or possibly if your blood pressure was too high and they wanted you to take meds to control it before having the op.

I'm getting a bit scared. Last time I went my BP was through the roof! It's normally ok and hasn't been raised since. And I have reactive airways and asthma so I'm a bit concerned about the lung function test, too. I think I'm just having a minor panic. Thanks for your answers. Mxx

Marion, my BP was raised at my pre op and I have never suffered with high BP. She just took it again after all the other tests when I had calmed down a bit.

Try not to worry hun. I've not known anyone at WM be turned away at their pre op.

Marion, Walsall will already be aware of these problems so know what to expect whilst you're under its just if your pre op test show up something major that they don't know about and needs urgent treatment, but normally they are a formality that just crosses the t's and dots the i's to make sure they are prepared for every eventuality.

Marion, if any problems show up, then they'll want to get them sorted before your surgery, so don't worry too much. Much better to get things sorted but I would hazard a guess everything will be fine and you're worrying just like everyone else does!! Just keep breathing deeply while you're waiting, and just TRY not to stress yourself!!!

My op date was delayed because at my pre op assessment my blood pressure was 234/117 and they found I was diebetic. I had to go to gp and get extra meds for blood pressure and get metformin for diebetes. This caused a delay in getting the date so try and be calm so your bp's ok when you go.

I don't think you will have a problem with the lung function test as I smoke and all they picked up on was the fact I smoked, they are really nice at WM so I don't think you'll have a problem and anyway EVERYONE is nervous, take care

Anezxxxx

Hi they already know your history so are aware of your asthma. They would just be looking for anything they didn't know about like a chest infection. The blood pressure thing you just need to try and stay calm and relaxed (difficult I know). Good luck and take care I am sure you will be fine.

At my first appointment with the consultant I had to sign a document stating that I understood that if I did not maintain or lose weight prior to the op date then I would be refused surgery.

The first pre-op was when this was checked, so I imagine that could have been a fail.

If your MRSA swabs come back positive it is possible for the team to treat you prior to surgery and that should not hold things up - so the bariatric nurse said.

Lots of luck

Lx

What would I do without you lovely minis! :grouphugg: You're right - I'm just having a bit of a panic. When I get there I shall do visualisation exercises and think of the calming sea. Knowing my luck the calm sea will turn into a tsunami and I shall scream!:ashamed0005: Have a lovely day everyone. Marion xx

You'll be fine Marion. I think we all panicked just before our pre-ops. If they didn't turn me down they are not going to turn you down are they???? LOL

If you get this, I'll be on corridor 4 at noon, guess your going to Easibrook though aren't you?

Back