• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op Assessments

Hi,
Could anyone who has already had their pre-op assessment - either pre or post-op give some details of the tests?
What I'm wondering is, if you had any underlying medical condition that you were unaware of, say, for example a heart condition or something equally serious that could affect the 'safety' of your wls, would it be detected during the tests?
I've already completed my medical questionnaire and, as far as I am aware, there is nothing to declare other than high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I'm just hoping that if there is anything else wrong it will be detected. :confused:
Thanks.

When I went for my pre op they did
mrsa swabs
blood pressure
blood tests
urine sample
ECG test

So they will pick up any heart condition on the ECG. not sure how much they can pick up but they did say that I might have had to have an xray but I didnt need, Im assuming that certain medical conditions require the xray

Also, I stand corrected if Im wrong, there are phsycologist and sleep apnoea tests, Im assuming they are part of the pre op but dome at different times.

Hi Sue,

At Walsall they do the following tests;

ECG
MRSA
Blood pressure
Urine (not sure what they are looking for)
Bloods (again - not sure what they are looking for)
Respiratory function test

Hope that helps hun. I'm sure someone can shed more light on what exactly they are looking for in the urine and the blood tests.

Hi Sue,

At Walsall they do the following tests;

ECG
MRSA
Blood pressure
Urine (not sure what they are looking for)
Bloods (again - not sure what they are looking for)
Respiratory function test

Hope that helps hun. I'm sure someone can shed more light on what exactly they are looking for in the urine and the blood tests.

Urine and blood tests would be checking for a range of things such as drugs, pregnancy, etc.

Believe me, no stone will be left unturned and every possible test will be done in order to avoid complications. You will be observed at every opportunity and any cause for concern will also be investigated as well as the usual investigations that are carried out. Please don't worry. The care in the UK is fantastic which is why it is better to have WLS here in the UK rather than overseas where pre and post-op care may not be as thorough. Raise any concerns you have with your doctors, no matter how trivial it may seem. They will be pleased to know you care and are intelligent enough to do so.

With the urine test - are you given prior warning (so you can fill the bottle at home I mean). The thought of having to fill the bottle at the hospital is, well, a nightmare. I could end up on You've Been Framed!

With the urine test - are you given prior warning (so you can fill the bottle at home I mean). The thought of having to fill the bottle at the hospital is, well, a nightmare. I could end up on You've Been Framed!

Lol, CCTV camera are everywhere, but I doubt whether they are in the loos at your hospital!!!

Hiya... I had my pre op assessment done on Monday, they checked Weight, Height, Blood Pressure, ECG, Bloods which were U's and E's, full blood count and to find out what blood group i was, and ECG, she did say that my ECG results came back with my heart racing a bit high but i said that could be down to the fact that i had to leg it across the hospital car park as was running a bit late lol she just laughed and said it wasnt a problem. I didnt have a water sample taken, I went through the questionaire with her of medical history and of family history and that was it, i was there for a grand total of 40minutes. Good luck with everything

same test as elffie for me....i do have an underlying heart problem, that the ecg wouldn't have picked up unless my heart was actually beating irregularly at the time, i also was a bit tachy on my ecg, but commonly known as 'white coat syndrome', blood pressure can be the same, a tad high when they're taking your BP

Opps I forgot to take a urine sample with me so didnt have that test for me was mrsa swobs, bloods,ecg, and a breathing test. Before referal I had to have a chest xray aswell dont no what for though

Opps I forgot to take a urine sample with me so didnt have that test for me was mrsa swobs, bloods,ecg, and a breathing test. Before referal I had to have a chest xray aswell dont no what for though
Glad to see that you can bring your water sample in with you. I have to give them regularly because of my diabetes and the idea of having to try to do one in a public cubicle fills me with horror - I find it difficult enough to do at home :rolleyes:

I think that the chest Xray is to check for post-op lung trouble like pneumonia (a common problem after a GA - easily treated but easy to miss at first) Could be wrong though ........ I often am :sigh:

love

TillyBob

How near to the op did everyone have their assessment?

Day before? Week before? or 2 weeks before?

What happens if you are found to be MRSA+? Are you just given antivirals and told to come back in 3 months? :eek: (I couldn't bear it)

love

TillyBob

I should imagine the bloods are so they know what type you are in case of emergency. Always good to know when someone is gonna take the knife to you!

Wonder how many people randomly know their blood type? I sure as heck don't and i've had three children which qualifies me as a human pin cushion (almost)...

Good luck with the pre-op's i look forward to mine some day soon xx

Wonder how many people randomly know their blood type? I sure as heck don't and i've had three children which qualifies me as a human pin cushion (almost)...
Me. O-neg. Then again, I used to live in Peckham and it's a useful thing to know.

(Actually, used to give blood before I was diagnosed as a diabetic. Can't give it now because I am on permanent medication :cry:)

love

TillyBob

My pre-op tests were:-

Urine, to check for pregnancy and proteins (which would show any possible problems with kidneys)

Bloods - full count

MRSA swabs

They listened to lungs and heart with stethascope.

I wad diagnosed with sleep apnoea 12 months before my first op date so didn't need that one done. I was having cardiac tests done at the same time as my runnup to my scheduled wls in Nov 08. Unfortunately I had to have an angioplasty with stent 1 day before my wls. The medication post that procedure meant my wls had to be delayed 12 months. I was disappointed at the time but glad knowing that I will be having the wls in a fitter condition.

What happens if you are found to be MRSA+? Are you just given antivirals and told to come back in 3 months? :eek: (I couldn't bear it)

love

TillyBob

Hi, Tillybob,
I had my MRSA swab taken in April. I'm struggling to see the benefit of that, to be quite honest, given that I haven't even got the dates for my pre-of assessments yet. What's to say I couldn't contract MRSA between the swabs being taken and my surgery? I thinks it's a bit silly to have such a big time gap between swabs being taken and the operation :confused::confused:

love

TillyBob

I had my pre op 4 weeks before my operation, i am due to have it done 29th September, had to start pre op diet today not too bad though as i have a choice of 5 diets i can do and i can swap and change the diets daily so not to get bored. Good luck with everything :) X

Back