• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre op diets

Priesty

Hi,

Sorry I know all you pre (on diet) and post oppers are going to get fed up with me keep asking questions. I here mention of the 'milk' diet and things but could somone fill me in and let me know what it actually entails.

I know you only do it for a week or two, I just wondered what the alternatives are and if at St Richards they have them.

Thanks all

Paula XX

The milk diet I did when I attended our local obesity clinic consisted of 5 pints of semiskimmed milk, 1-2 oxos/bovril, 1 pt sugar free jelly, 2 pints of low calorie drink, 1 sanatogen gold, 1-2 fibogel.

There seems to be a few variations on this and also some low fat low cal diets too.

I have got the low carb pre-op diet from St Richards as I am not very keen on milk.

My daily allowance will be:

B - 1-2 size 2 eggs (boiled/poached/scrambled/omlette) OR 2 rashers of grilled bacon with grilled tomatoes and boiled mushrooms.

L - 5oz tuna/salmon OR 3oz ham/chicken/turkey with salad or vegetables

D - 5oz chicken/beef/gammon (grilled/casseroled/baked) OR 6oz white/oily fish (steamed/grilled/baked) with any quantity of veg.

All vegetables are acceptable except potatoes.

Snacks - all of which can be eaten ONCE in a day:

200ml fruit juice
3 pieces of any fruit
1 pot of diet yoghurt
1/2 pint of skimmed milk

Multi-vitamin - 1 per day

Additional:

Low cal salad dressing
Instant mix gravy granules

The length of time you have to do the diet depends on your BMI. It is usually between 1-2 weeks. I have to do it for 1 week.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I'm just going to do a slim fast type diet...but no solid foods at all. Hope that should do the trick.

I second that Lisa, i think i am going to incude slim fast into my pre-op diet too xx

I'm on the milk diet at the moment from St Richards......4 pints s/s milk, 2 pints other liquid, a sanatagen or centrium multivitamin and 1 stock cube. There's also the option of 3 extras....another stock cube, 1 sachet no sugar jelly or 3 sticks chewing gum.
Am on day 6 and am starting to feel like a cow with all the milk I'm drinking. Its actually really hard to drink 6 pints of liquid a day!!! My stomach is crying out for solid food!!!! Oh well........only another week and then its operation day.....gulp!

Hi,
I am to go on a low fat yogurt diet. This includes yogurt, 500 mils fresh fruit juice, coffee with low fat milk and fruit teas. Plus 2500ml of water. Has anyone else been on this and what quantities of yogurt is it?
xxxxxxxxx

I had to do the cup-a-soup diet....

B - Banana (for slow release energy)
L - Tomato C-A-S
D - Tomato C-A-S, Followed by sugar free Jelly

ooohhhh blooming heck! All this tasty food!

I'm doing the slim fast thing for the next 5 days, I'm hoping that will give me enough time - surly the surgeon will know that I only booked it yesterday for Monday 1st?!?!?!?!?!

Back