• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre op Diets

loubyl00

I want to shrink!
Hi all,

This site has really helped me answers lots of questions that I have. :D

One thing I would like to ask is about the pre-op diets.

I am diabetic type II and I hate milk or milk shakes etc. :cry:Would I have to do a milk shake pre op diet before my Gastric Bypass?

Cheers

Hey Louby,

Can't answer that I'm afraid, Phatmomma will be along soon I am sure & answer that as she was in the same boat! Just wanted to say Hi....and my hubbie comes from Oldham, lol!

Thanks Sharon and Angie.

So where abouts in Oldham does your Hub come from Angie?

Phatmomma is having surgery today but I do know that she had to do the food pre-op diet due to having diabeties

Thanks Wendy,

I'll talk to Phatmomma when she has recovered.

Cheers

Hey Louby

I also have type 2 diabetes and I was given the choice of three diets, the Milk one, slim fast or 1000 calorie food option. I'm doing/attempting the food one but it's really difficult as you can only have certain food types at certain times.

Below is what my diet sheet lists:

Breakfast : 1 portion carboydrates (Carbs)
1 portion dairy

Lunch: No carbs
2 portions veg
2 portions protein

Dinner: 2 portions carbs
1 portion protein
1 portion veg
1 portion dairy

Plus 2 portions of fruit per day. And a maximum of 2 potions of fat.

I was also given a list of examples of what a portion of each food type was.

An example of this would be:

Breakfast: 1 slice of toast, with one teaspoon of butter (1 fat portion) and a low fat/diet yogurt

Lunch: 2 boiled eggs and 100g of tuna in brine - Protein mixed with a side salad and 3 tablespoons of sweetcorn

Dinner: Pasta shapes (6 tablespoons) bolognaise sauce (4 tablespoons) with grated cheese (1 matchbox sized piece) and a side salad (small cereal bowl size)

There's also a caveat for patients with diabetes saying to contact your dietitian before starting the diet and that if you take tablets or insulin you may need to change the dosage.

Hope this helps.

I'm type 2 diabetic and was also given the choice of two diets, the same one as PoppyCorn above or the milk diet. I chose the milk diet as it took away all the stress of deciding what to eat and making sure I kept within the portion sizes.

I had 3 pints of milk a day which I took in the form of SF milkshakes, hot cocoa or SF milky jellies and a mug of chicken bovril a day, plus as much Really Light Ribena & water as I wanted. I can honestly say I wasn't hungry at all on this diet and found it relatively easy. I also lost over 20lb in the 3 weeks.

Thanks Poppy and Twiggy,

That gives me a clearer picture.

I hate milk or milk shakes, they really make me gag so id probably be better doing the food one, even if it is difficult to sort out.

Might all change if i have to wait ages for my funding and op date :-(

Thanks again

:17729:6 WEEKS??? YIKES!!!
My lot had better leave home...... i'll either be a grumpy bum...or i'll eat everyone!!! Any ideas for Walsall Manor? x

I've not but I'm sure some of our lovely peeps on here will be along soon to let you know x

2 weeks milk only for the L&D

Reactions: Bev
Mine is 3 weeks as I have fatty liver disease, but at L&d you have to do it prior to surgery to loose 5% of your body weight to show you are committed.

yeah you have to do the milk only to lose the 5% to start with, then do it again for 2 weeks pre op

i dont have to do the milk one but i am on the low carb, low sugar high protein for 6 weeks ....its going ok thoughx

Isn't it strange how different hospitals and areas vary, I am doing the low cal one, but only for a week pre op :)

luton only do the milk diet and im type2 diabetic andi have to just do the milk diet .even tho i cant stand milk shakes and find it hard to drin k milk ... buti know other hospitals do different diets so you might be lucky ..

Back