• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How many pre op diets

ashlie1985

I'm starting to feel lucky my Pre op diet is porridge and salad I don't think I could have done the milk one I hate the stuff I use it to wet cereal if you know what I mean ! Anyone else got an ok Pre op diet ? Is it down to the surgeon ?

Ashlie x ?

yes its surgeons choice, I was told milk diet I cant stand milk but somehow managed lol, but Sunderland only ask for 10 days so thats not too bad, some people have to do pre op for 4 wks xx

lyzzyanne said:
I am day 5 of a 4 week milk diet and its tough, I want to eat the furniture at the moment!!!

This really made me laugh!! :) :) I'm day 2 of milk diet and was seriously thinking about eating a duster this afternoon whilst cleaning lol xxx

I am on day 10 of low carb diet have 4 days to go till op and have lost 14lbs so far x

I'm starting to feel lucky my Pre op diet is porridge and salad I don't think I could have done the milk one I hate the stuff I use it to wet cereal if you know what I mean ! Anyone else got an ok Pre op diet ? Is it down to the surgeon ?

Ashlie x ?

I had not heard of "porridge and salad" as a pre-op diet so that is a new one on me, Ashlie !!

The main ones are:

1. MILK diet (this is usually 4 or 5 pints of milk a day supplemented with a few low fat yogurts or low cal soups)

2. SLIMFAST diet -- 5 x bottles of Slimfast a day supplemented with Oxo or Bovril / clear broth drinks.

3. Low fat / low carb / high protein food based diet similar to this: WLSurgery.com - Weight Loss Surgery Support - View Single Post - Op assessment &starting diet to morrow
(each hospital's version of a food based diet varies slightly but in principle cuts out a lot of fat and carbs)

4. CAMBRIDGE DIET -- very low calorie diet consisting of only 3 or 4 "food packs" per day (nearly all shakes and soups, sometimes inc one small crunchy bar) ... between 450 and 600 cals a day unless supplemented with one VERY small protein only meal (200 cals of lean chicken) which can take the calories up to 800 per day. **

** Only a few hospitals allow VLCD as a pre-op liver shrinkage diet (but the Whittington does -- altho I am not entirely sure yet for myself whether to do that)

Oh and ......

5. PORRIDGE and SALAD pre-op diet (!) which I had never heard of before but have just added.

Anyone know of more than these five ....?

Mine was slim fast and fruit and veg. Three slim fast shakes a day plus limited fruit and / or veg to snack on.

I had to do it for a minimum of 7 days, I did it for 10. I didnt lose an ounce but my liver was fine and dandy!

Mines 2-3 pints of milk a day, 1 small portion of home made veg soup, 3-4 pieces of fruit, 2 low fat yoghurts and a small glass of pure orange xx

Now 8 days into the diet and having got over the urge to eat furniture, I now wish I could eat some sort of vegetable as the constipation is awful.

i had low fat/carb about 800 cals a day :)

1000 cals.
Low cal/fat diet for 14 days.

Forgive format, copied it from the surgery docs I was emailed.
Code:
Breakfast

Small bowl of cereal, or

Lunch

Dinner

Daily

1 slice of toast with a scraping of low fat spread –not butter

1 slice bread or 2 crispbreads
Small portion lean meat or fish, or
Small portion cheese, or 2 eggs (not fried)
Green salad or tomatoes (no dressing)

Small portion lean meat or fish, or
Small portion low fat cheese, or 2 eggs, or
Tofu or Quorn based dish
1 small potato or 2 tablespoonfuls pasta or rice
Vegetables (as many as you like except for high carbohydrate root
vegetables – e.g. Potatoes)

1/3 pint milk (skimmed or semi-skimmed) for use in drinks and on
cereal
2 portions of fruit (e.g. apple, orange, banana, pear)
Free water, tea, coffee, low calorie squash or fizzy drinks
1 low fat, low sugar yogurt or fromage frais

I must confess after re-reading I might have been having a tad too much pasta/rice with my meals :(. But until this diet nearly every meal I've ever had has had some form of potatoes, pasta or rice. I love all 3 :(

I have lost 11lbs and im only 6 days in though, so I should be fine.

i have to have 3 pints of skimmed milk .2 muller lights and......thats it lol. day 3 and i have turned into a agressive.moody woman possesed. it also clashes with TOTM wich is crap:( 13 more days of this ...its the worst diet iv ever had 2 do EVER! not a happy bunny at all lol...forgot 2 mention iv lost 11.5lbs in 3 days :)

Last edited:
Well dun Hun x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Mine was a two week mix and match of slimfasts (4 a day) plus one vlc meal in evening of skinned chicken and veg. Lost 7lbs, was hungry but didn't start on the furniture. Ate sugar free jelly.

i'm on the low fat, low carb diet but really fed up with chicken so today i've had a pint of skimmed milk and a banana,
do you think it will make much difference? :) xx

Thanks angie, you are right, back to chicken tomorrow, only a few more day anyway, sure i can manage that! :) xx

Back