• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sunderland pre-op diet

jema

I have read several posts regarding pre-op diets and how they differ with each hospital. I wondered if anyone could tell me a little about Sunderland's diet. Is there an alternative to the milk diet? I hate the stuff! I have read some posts where a very low carb diet is ok, but not seen any from Sunderland (I don't think) I must add though, I'm a long way off that stage, just thought I'd ask.....

mightyminx49

Proud grandmother of 7
Hi Jema,

I live in Sunderland and am having my surgery this Saturday coming. For the last 8 days I have been on the milk and yoghurt diet, a low fat diet that helps shrink the liver. I don't like milk much either but I have to say that I have done very well on the diet.

Each day I have 2-3 pints of skimmed milk, spread over drinks, such as milky coffee, hot chocolate (low calorie) Milk shake, tea and of course the dreaded glass of milk to use the daily amount. I am also allowed 2 low fat yoghurts, an average size bowl of veg soup with no potatoes. An lastly my five a day fruit of which I was asked to include Orange, grapes and banana. The pre-op diet is advised to shrink the liver to make it easier to get access for your band/bypass/sleeve.

I dont regret embarking on this journey though the diet leaves a lot to be desired and the only alternative is if you are a diabetic and there is a different diet sheet for that.

Hope this clears up some of your quiries.

I have lost weight, about 8-9lbs which is fairly good.

Last edited:

mightyminx49

Proud grandmother of 7
Awe thanks Jema :) x

I'm still scared but wont change my mind, especially this close. The whole journey from start to finish has taken 18 months and am too close now :D

I wish you luck on your journey too, it is all worth while and I am looking forward to seeing the real me emerge once again. :)