• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pre-op to surgery?

BECKYBROWN80

hello everyone

can anyone give me an idea of how long between pre-op assessment (mine is 29th dec) and surgery? how long did you guys wait?
also i am with the whittington how long is the pre-op diet they do there?

thanks in advance for any help
becks
xxx

For most hospitals the pre-op assessment is deemed valid for 3 months after they are done so it may be worth asking the hospital how long their assessments are valid for as it will give you an idea of time frames.

I had my pre-assessment in August and am having surgery about a week before it expires which is lucky otherwise the hospital would have had to schedule me in for another one.

Tatiana

Hi, At UCH london they tell you between 2-6 weeks. C

Hi at Sunderland we don't have pre op till we have our op date. My op is 9th dec and pre op is 28th nov.

Hope you get your date soon good luck x

Hi at Sunderland we don't have pre op till we have our op date. My op is 9th dec and pre op is 28th nov.

Hope you get your date soon good luck x

They do it differently in London (well at the Whittington anyway).

I have had my "pre surgery review" (pre-op) date set as 16 Jan 2012 for months and months ..... but from that point onwards the op itself will be somewhere between 4 - 12 weeks (maximum).

Becky, I believe the Whittington usually prefer a 4 week pre-op diet and offer various versions (Cambridge Diet or Milk Diet or a low fat food diet).

The "up to 3 months / 12 weeks" is only a really maximum and NOT likely to be that long.

If you are lucky and things not too busy in their op theatres in January you might get an op date exactly 4 weeks after pre-op, but poss 6 weeks.

Hi Becky, I'm at Whittington too. I rang Monica who does admissions and asked about my dates and she gave me my preassessment date and also my provisional op date. It's 6 weeks in between. I'll message you her number.

hi everyone. thanks for you replies. wow. seems really close now. i have been waiting so long but feel so scared. am i really doing the right thing! i know for myself i am but i am so scared something will happen to me and my little girl will be left without a mummy. i can handle ANYTHING except the thought of leaving her! I can rationalise it by just coming on here and reading all the success stories but what if i am that one!! sorry what a rant! lol
thanks for the number agnes. when is your pre-op and surgery?

xxx

just spoke to monica. she said it wont be till march as dr heath is away in february! typical. everything that can hold me back has!!!!! :(

just spoke to monica. she said it wont be till march as dr heath is away in february! typical. everything that can hold me back has!!!!! :(
sometimes life just seems against you dont it? :(

BECKYBROWN80 said:

Aaww (((hugs))) hope the time flies for you xxx

If you wanted to push a bit, you could ask Monica about Mr Sufi's lists for Jan and Feb?

I don't know whether they are keen on patients swapping from one consultant to another ...?

I have no idea why, for instance, I was allocated to Mr Sufi, and yourself to Mr Heath .... it all seems to be a bit random.

On the other hand, I have just realised if Mr Heath is away all of Feb, and poor Mr Sufi doing all the Feb ops on his own ..... their lists for Feb / March are all likely to go back a bit, with only one consultant operating throughout February .... which will probably have a knock-on effect on my eventual date with Mr Sufi as well.

Thanks for the advance warning (sigh).

Becky, I completely understand how you feel. I'm in that place too. I feel sick to my stomach at the thought of being the one. I know that if I had a little ones family would take care of them and love them. Instead I have mother who can be more than a little cantankerous at times. My fear is where would she end up if I wasn't around any more. What the hell am I doing? But I know that if I don't get help now, I will develop more and more comorbidities. And probably end up needing a carer myself and dying way too soon.

My surgery date is 14th February. I have a Valentine's date with Mr Sufi. I hope he buys me flowers but I suppose the gift of my life back will be the bestest valentines gift ever.

I'm sorry that your surgery date is so uncertain but hang in there. It'll be so worth it.

I have found that I need to keep on top of them at the Whittington because my file constantly finds its way to the bottom of the pile.

My surgery date is 14th February. I have a Valentine's date with Mr Sufi. I hope he buys me flowers but I suppose the gift of my life back will be the bestest valentines gift ever.
:8855: :8855:

I am so jealous :jelous: :jelous: of a Valentine's Date with Mr Sufi !!! :p :p :p

Just joking -- Agnes / Becky if you would like an extra London person to come and visit you while you are in the Whittington let me know, PM me on here to swap emails / mobiles etc.

thanks again guys. u never fail to make me feel better.
seems like there is a little whittington gang forming! yay! maybe we could arrange a meet or something. we all seem to be having surgery around the same time as well x

Back