• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op

lilmissairhead

Hi,

Just a quick question as i'm a while off surgery yet (about 6/7 mnths) when the docs put you on the pre-op diet do you get to choose whether you do the milk diet or the low kcal diet, or do the doc choose the best one for you?

Thanks

SRH prefer you to do the milk diet, but you can do the the other if you are unable to do the milk diet. x

Hi lilmissairhead,

The different diets are usually for diabetic and non diabetics. Some PCT prefer the low kcal and others prefer both. I think the fluid diet is the best, I lost about 9-10lbs and others have lost more. Give your the place where you are getting your surgery a call and ask for the dietician. They will tell you which diet is preferable. Good luck and speedy recovery. xx :D

Terri,

You need to ask your PCT if the milk diet is ok for you. I found the milk diet fine and I was hungry but drank lots of water or so I thought. When you do start the milk diet please make sure you still have a further 2 litres of fluid, more if you can because it will paid off during and after your surgery. I needed to be re-admitted due to dehydration and needed 4 bags IV fluid before I felt well enough to come home again. I havent looked back since and now I try to drink at least 68 fl ozs of any type of fluid. :D x

I will be seeing the dietician on Saturday lunchtime to find out which diet I will be on. When I was waiting for the gastric band she told me she wanted me on the low calorie diet instead of the milk diet and I only lost 8lbs. I am diabetic. I am hoping on Saturday to persuade her to let me go on the milk diet as I am sure it will be easier. I already have a protein shake every morning for breakfast. With having the band it should be easier this time around. Fingers crossed :)

I think it can depend on where you get it done and what you're having done - I got to choose and am on the low fat/low carb diet.

It's also important to remember that the aim of the pre-op diet isn't to lose weight, it's to reduce the size of your liver to avoid bleeds, etc. It's best to do whichever one you think is best - I'm on mine for four weeks (rather bizarrely) and there's no way I could drink only milk for that long as I really don't like milk at all, so the only option for me really was the low fat/low carb one!

I've been told that the diet I'm being offered has 4 options and I can choose between the options each day so, hopefully, I won't get bored with any one option and it doesn't feel as if I'm being restricted each day!!

Tatiana

Back