• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op diet for four weeks! :-O

Mio

Just been to the hospital for my pre-op assessment and inbetween being poked with needles and attached to machines I was given info on my pre-op diet and told I had to follow if for four weeks! Most people i've spoken to only did if for two, maybe three at the most. Luckily I was given the chance to choose, so taken the low fat/low carb over the milk diet (yuck!) but four weeks? Have so many birthday and events and parties coming up in the next couple of weeks and feel a bit disheartened by it all now :(

I had to do the pre op diet for 4 weeks mate...you'll get there, it goes quite quickly. I used lots of different dry spices to jazz up my chicken. Cajun, tandori etc. Good luck x

Thansk Sarah - thank god it's not the milk diet for 4 weeks at least *lol* Not a great fan of the stuff at the best of times...!

Mazbrad - I had usual weight/height/blood pressure (which was the lowest it has even been *lol*) and my peak flow measured for my asthma. Then I had a blood test, where they couldn't find my vein as usual (I did hear her mutter something along the line of "It'd be easier getting blood from a stone!") then I went to get another ECG done (much quicker than the last time thankfully!)
Appointment was at 10:20 and I got out just before midday (and snuck in a sneaky coffee before returning to the office *lol*)

Hi Mio, poor you - I'd have been a bit shocked if they'd told me 4 weeks! However it is a countdown and you will see your op day coming ever closer which helps you to focus on the diet. Also the possibility of them cancelling your surgery if you don't stick to it is an added incentive!

Have you got the BOSPA diet with limited carbs? Or is it like mine, which is no carbs, one piece of fish or chicken a day, 2 eggs, and a bowl of consomme? I am supposed to have my 5-a-day fruit and veg too - thank goodness it's summer as I have lots of strawberries:)

Good luck, not long now.

I almost fell of the chair when she told me four weeks!! *lol* But yeah, already re-arranging things (annoyed cos I’m going away over Bank Holiday to see friends and now I won’t be able to drink or go out for meals with them which is really frustrating L)
Luckily the diet I’ve got seems doable – haven’t got the sheet with me but it’s something like 2 portions of carbs (one portion=1 slice of bread or similar), 2 portions protein and 2 portions dairy with the “5 a day” as well. It’s similar to what I eat now, just in smaller quantities which is going to be hard. Must buy smaller plates! I was given the choice of that of the milk diet but there’s no way I could do that one for a month. I would hate it!
One month on Saturday! Not that I’m counting… ;-)

Just been to the hospital for my pre-op assessment and inbetween being poked with needles and attached to machines I was given info on my pre-op diet and told I had to follow if for four weeks! Most people i've spoken to only did if for two, maybe three at the most. Luckily I was given the chance to choose, so taken the low fat/low carb over the milk diet (yuck!) but four weeks? Have so many birthday and events and parties coming up in the next couple of weeks and feel a bit disheartened by it all now :(

If it any consolation, I was on it for 6wks!!!

You need to decide what is more important to you food and drink at a few parties or the rest of your life and your health. 4 weeks is nothing. All hospitals and consultants follow different but similar guidelines. Any pre op weight loss is for your safety and the final liver reduction stage is to enable clear and easy access fir your surgeon.
Stick with it and be strong.

BigDave

Back