• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-ops

LisaG

Disappearing slowly
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, should I bring someone with me to the pre-op? What goes on? Would someone else need to know what's happening? Silly question but have always just gone on my own and now thinking I'm just going to forget everything I have to do on the lead up and on the day.

Also, did anyone else start having silly little worries just before the op? E.g. 'Am I going to be able to bend down to pull my knickers up?' LOL...see? Silly worries.

Lisa :confused:

Hey hun,
Is it the blood-test pre-op? I had mine on Thursday. Basically you have two sets of blood tests, an ECG (Get ready to get ya baps out!!!), and a quick chat with a lovely nurse who takes you through a few things and asks questions about your medical history (e.g. other surgeries, current health status etc). I think you'll be ok by yourself as they just give you the pre-op information and make you sign the contract for your date!

Hope that helps!!! When is your appointment? Have you had your op date yet??

I 2 am at the Whit i had my pre op 3 weeks ago, its just wat Meggie said. I was bricking it but honestly its nothing to worry about, i also went on my own. You will be there for about 60/90 mins the most, when is ur pre op and when is ur op xx

Oh and hun, I've had all the little worries under the sun. Some I've admitted to people, some I haven't for fear of being sectioned!! I'm sure we've all been there!!!

Yeah dont worry hun, im sure it wil go fine i went by myself for mine to:) I to had silly worries and would also be sectioned if i said mine:) Its all normal:)

Sharon xx

Yeah dont worry hun, im sure it wil go fine i went by myself for mine to:) I to had silly worries and would also be sectioned if i said mine:) Its all normal:)

Sharon xx

I'm in good company at least!!!;):D

As the others have already said, the Pre-OP is nothing to worry about, this is what they did on mine.

1.Checked:- Height, Weight & Blood pressure.
2.Did an ECG
3.Took Blood for testing and Swabs from your mouth, nose and groin for MRSA Testing.
4.Asked me if I totally understood about my op.
5.Completed a medical questionnaire with the nurse and Next of Kin details.

Hope that Helps! :)

Thanks everyone...really helpful stuff there. Hoping to get pre-op appointment for next week - haven't actually got one yet. Hoping they give me a date for op then too. I may be jumping the gun but fingers crossed - I know Heath still has space in Feb.

Feeling reassured now everyone ....and not feeling so crazy with my silly thoughts and questions!

L x

Well mine was slightly different:
All in all I was there 4 hours. Had a chat with the anathatist (before he realised he'd already spoken to me a few months ago!). Then had weight checked, swabs in my armpit and up my nose. The off to pathology for blood test (was there a while a) cos I got lost trying to find it and b) they can never find a vein in either arm so had to use my hand. Make me wonder how they will put the line in on day of my operation? Also had a long session with dietician going over the pre-op and post-op diet. Finally nurse took BP and went over the whole procedure and what it entails.
I guess different hospitals have different methods....that was my experience at St Richards.

Thanks Julie. That sounded like a long day...poor you. I haven't met the anesthetist or dietician yet at all. Doesn't even sound like I will until the day of the op.

Hope all goes well and you get your date soon.

L x

Lol Rachel! I've bought some 'decent' nighties to protect my modesty :)

Back