• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight Loss Rate Still The Same??? (If you diet before surgery)

Snowcrystal

This is probably a silly question and I think I already know the answer but:

If you diet prior to your surgery (not talking about milk or liver reducing diet here)...will your loss be slower than someone who had not dieted???

Now I think if you were dieting (any form of conventional diets) prior to your surgery, it would have a huge impact on the speed of weight loss...I think your loss after surgery would be far slower.

Any experience of this anyone? (Post op people)

Any ideas? (Pre or post op)

(((Hugs)))

Good question as u know i am pre op but i would of thought it would not make any diff to whether u dieted b4 surgery or not, as after byapss ur on such small amounts of food and cals that is is a shock to ur body and ur losses are going to be good no matter what.
The reason i say this is if i am on a normal diet and then i swap over to CD then my body is in total shock as i go from say SW to a vlcd diet of 450 cals which cal wise must be similar to post bypass early stages and my losses are fab.
Am not sure if i have answered ur question right lol :):):) am know for getting things inside out and back to front lmao xxx

Well I am doing CD right now and as you know it's a very low calorie diet...I was 246lb and now 238lb and it came off quickly due to it being the first few days...loss of glycogen and water mostly...but I will still continue to have a good weight loss on this type of diet.

Now, say I lose 3 stone in just over 3 months, say 10th January(very possible with CD) and my surgery is is on the 10th of January...I would imagine that as I have already lost a lot of weight my rate of loss has to be far slower than someone who just did the liver reducing diet.

I'm only swayed by the biological and chemistry aspect of surgery...which I can't quite get my head around...(love the science, but a little over my head).

(((hugs)))

I dieted prior to my bypass and yes its been slower in some respects then others, but not overal i have still averaged a stone a month losss, many things affect the rate of weight loss, the amount you are to start with, the higher it is the faster it comes off, but you also will find you need a longer time to get to your target. Everyone is different, and weight loss before does help with the op, making it safer as well as mentally preparing you for the changes you will have to make in your life

I dieted prior to my bypass and yes its been slower in some respects then others, but not overal i have still averaged a stone a month losss, many things affect the rate of weight loss, the amount you are to start with, the higher it is the faster it comes off, but you also will find you need a longer time to get to your target. Everyone is different, and weight loss before does help with the op, making it safer as well as mentally preparing you for the changes you will have to make in your life

Hi TS

First I got to say how fantastic you look....well done...I love the dress too, what a beautiful colour!

What diet did you do prior to the surgery?..

You make a very good point about dieting prepares you mentally and making the op safer...this was my intention if I get surgery.

Well done girl...your looking great

(((xhugsx)))

I see where you are coming from Snowcrystal it makes total sense that it would be slower. Before i started pre op diet i had put on weight and the only time i went on a diet was 10 days pre surgery and i've lost 2 stone in 4 weeks x

That was good though GG...I wonder how fast/slow the weight you lost now would have been if you had dieted longer prior to surgery?

But you're doing good now girl.

(((xhugsx)))

Its been slower for me I'm sure

M

Hi CCPM

But your weight loss has been fantastic both pre and post op...
So you think that if you had not dieted prior to the surgery it would have come off quicker?...

Maybe it just might have evened out...and you would have had the same result as it stands now.

Well done on your fantastic progress to date.

(((xhugsx)))

Hi Snowcrystal hope you are ok. Interesting question unfortunately I don't know the answer either, I would have thought that it would have been slower but not sure you have me puzzling now. Take care.

Hi TS

First I got to say how fantastic you look....well done...I love the dress too, what a beautiful colour!

What diet did you do prior to the surgery?..

You make a very good point about dieting prepares you mentally and making the op safer...this was my intention if I get surgery.

Well done girl...your looking great

(((xhugsx)))

I was on Orlistat from mid October, perscribed by my GP in prep for going through the NHS routine towards WLS, she also refered me to the NHS dietician, which i never attended as by then i knew i was going private. Talk to your GP they will help you with whichever diet you decide to try, at least with orlistat you have to consider the fat content in everything you eat, not just how its cooked ie deep fried or steamed. this does help towards making good food choices afterwards as you quickly become aware of what holds a high fat contents.

another thing you can get your GP to do is to sign you up for a fitness regime at the council sprot centre, the program would be tailored to your abilities now enable you to get into a routine before the WLS

I was on Orlistat from mid October, perscribed by my GP in prep for going through the NHS routine towards WLS, she also refered me to the NHS dietician, which i never attended as by then i knew i was going private. Talk to your GP they will help you with whichever diet you decide to try, at least with orlistat you have to consider the fat content in everything you eat, not just how its cooked ie deep fried or steamed. this does help towards making good food choices afterwards as you quickly become aware of what holds a high fat contents.

another thing you can get your GP to do is to sign you up for a fitness regime at the council sprot centre, the program would be tailored to your abilities now enable you to get into a routine before the WLS

Hi tendersage hope you dont mind me asking how long did you wait for your surgery by going private?

Back