• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Preparing my kitchen - help!

shell-

I've finally been put onto the surgeon's list, and I'm looking at roughly a six week wait for my surgery (looking like a sleeve right now, but I could change to a bypass, the surgeon said the decision is mine).

I've had a tiny kitchen for the last 12 years, and as a result I don't have a lot of cooking/prep supplies. Not only have I just moved into a home with a substantial kitchen, where I can actually store and use things, but I want to make sure that I can equip my kitchen with the cooking/prep/storage supplies so I can prepare myself and make things easy for not just the immediate post-surgery period but for my long-term success.

What would you suggest a well-stocked post-op kitchen should have? Assume I don't have anything (I do have some pots and pans, a wok, soup maker and a stick blender and some storage containers...).

What an interesting question! Not really given it much thought as I feel its going to more about what you eat / amount you eat and how you cook it
By what your saying if already have some kitchen stuff your ok the only thing I want to do is get some smaller dinner plates, ive got those massive (tredy at the time) white square plates then maybe just get 1 even smaller plate for myslf to use
Wish you luck will be instresting to read others replies
ps maybe get a cookbook thats specific in WLS recipes

I've got a lot of small plates, so I'm set there. And a cookbook for WLS.

This came about from the informational meeting with the bariatric team, where they talked about using a sieve. I realised then I didn't have one, or a proper blender (also mentioned), and started to wonder about what else would make my life easier post-op.

I also live alone, and like convenience (so lots of weekend cooking and freezing is in my future!).

Measuring cups
Measuring spoons
Ceramic Ramekins (for baking individual fish pie portions etc)
Microwave
A variety of storage containers - 200ml ones for first few weeks post sleeve as diet is a lot of 200ml portions of soup and you can make a normal batch and freeze in single portions
Ice cube trays for freezing yoghurt, nice to suck on in liquid stages

A slow cooker for winter is on my wish list for casseroles etc at the moment I'm using a big iron dish with lid, it's great but weighs a tonne and I have to be home for the 4 hours it's cooking, a slow cooker would be AMAZING!

Also, a non stick pan!

Smaller bowls, small pots and pans - I find these useful when cooking just for myself as I tend to make too much in larger pots! Hand blender, sieves definitely needed for the first few weeks. Tupperware for freezing. I bought lots!

Water bottles for when you're on the move - very important in case you don't feel like eating but need to ensure your fluid intake is on track xx

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming in!!

Oh, I should have probably mentioned, I'm a vegetarian :)

A slow cooker for winter is on my wish list for casseroles etc at the moment I'm using a big iron dish with lid, it's great but weighs a tonne and I have to be home for the 4 hours it's cooking, a slow cooker would be AMAZING!

Also, a non stick pan!

My slow cooker has always been my best friend, especially during the cold months, cant wait to get to the stages of proper food again so I can restart using it, best invention ever!!! after a day at work it feels like someone else has cooked dinner & only one bowl to wash up (apart from dinner plates & cutlery f course lol)

wouldnt be without my blender either, I am still blending the bits out of soups & making fruit smoothies

Me too Shell :) I froze lots of little pots of mash, quorn mince, gravy and mashed sweet potato. Just defrosted one this evening and had it for my tea, would definitely recommend!x

My slow cooker has always been my best friend, especially during the cold months, cant wait to get to the stages of proper food again so I can restart using it, best invention ever!!! after a day at work it feels like someone else has cooked dinner & only one bowl to wash up (apart from dinner plates & cutlery f course lol)

I've been trying to think about what I could make in a slow cooker that's vegetarian, and there's really not much that could benefit from it...my mother had when when I was growing up, she would cook all kinds of meats in it because it made them very tender (and it was easy!).

My tip is a sippy cup or bottle with a sports top...you defo need this to sip all fluids.
As it's tough those first few weeks to get in the amount of fluids you need x

My tip is a sippy cup or bottle with a sports top...you defo need this to sip all fluids.
As it's tough those first few weeks to get in the amount of fluids you need x

A sippy cup? Like for children?

I was thinking of straws (because hate sports bottles!), do they give the same effect?

You don't need a big blender,a stick blender is absolutely fine. Buy yourself a beautiful Chinese or better still Japanese bowl and a pair of Japanese chopsticks, these will give you daily pleasure in their own right with the added benefit of eating small quantities slowly.

Most of my thoughts have been covered... Did any one mention small cutlery just for your use? Or a thermos mug which was so handy for keeping the coffee/tea hotter longer even 40mins after I brewed up.

You don't need a big blender,a stick blender is absolutely fine. Buy yourself a beautiful Chinese or better still Japanese bowl and a pair of Japanese chopsticks, these will give you daily pleasure in their own right with the added benefit of eating small quantities slowly.

Oh, chopsticks! That never even occurred to me! I own a set of stainless steel ones (6 pair!), I'll have to use them much more often! And a lovely bowl, that's not a bad idea, either.

Thanks for the blender advice, I think I'll stick with the stick and the soup maker (if I need ice crushed, etc.) and get a Nutribullet when I can better afford it for ongoing veg smoothies.

Most of my thoughts have been covered... Did any one mention small cutlery just for your use? Or a thermos mug which was so handy for keeping the coffee/tea hotter longer even 40mins after I brewed up.

Nobody's mentioned small cutlery, interesting thought. I've got a few dessert forks and spoons, I may give those a shot now and see how I like them.

I don't like hot drinks very often, but I should pick one up if I see a good deal, I do like chai now and again and with soy milk in it, another way to get protein!

Thanks to you both!

A sippy cup? Like for children? I was thinking of straws (because hate sports bottles!), do they give the same effect?

I found drinking through straws you tend to gulp down the fluid still..and in the early days it can hurt.
Yes children sippy cups,you can always try a straw you may be fine.

dont forget your measuring jug and scales :) my beautiful minnie mouse cup, bowl and plate set are very much used £2.99 home bargains i think lol also child's cutlery set ...... sainsburys :) i use it all the time. Stick blender more than enough............ my soup maker was a god send too!!!

Talking about children's cutlery,I still use now after all these years.
It stops me from over filling the fork and getting my food stuck..lol

Back