• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Privacy

Sambucca

Dear All,

A member has recently made us aware that her diary had been seen by someone in real life that she would prefer not to have seen it. Therefore we thought we would just issue a reminder to everyone that what you say here is available for all to see. If you wish to retain anonymity/privacy then please be careful about how much you disclose about yourselves in your posts and in your profile.

Even if your diary is in the Bronze section, this is still accessible with 100 posts which doesnt take too long to achieve. Although it is not "googleable" if it is in Bronze, members with 100 posts can access it freely. The mods are currently looking at introducing some slightly more private diary areas now that some members post counts are in the 1000's.

Please also remember that information you read here, particularly in someone elses diary is not yours to share. One members privacy has been severely compromised because either someone has registered as a member to read her diary, or because an existing member has printed another members diary and given it to a 3rd party. Whilst there is nothing we can do to stop that, and no rules have been broken, it has left someone worried about sharing information for fear of who may see it.

Best wishes
The Moderation Team

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
thats understandable, but members cannot expect to post on a "public" forum then worry about who reads the posts, it is down to the individual person how much they chose to disclose about there lives and or wls journeys, i hope the person concerned hasnt been caused to much distress by the matter in hand. xxx

dottychic

I think sometimes we get so comfortable here amongst friends that we forget that the posts are visible via search engines...I know I have! X

Neen

WLS Moderator
I think it's dreadful someone has been compromised that way..one of the reasons why you will never get me on facebook or twitter!
This is the only place I share my experiences and I always try and be aware of which bits can be googled and which can't. I think some people don't check where they post a topic to make sure it's in the right category which causes a lot of opportunities for outsiders to snoop.
Hope whoever it is who has been upset is not put off posting on this fab site though x

Bev

I am very understanding of the privacy issue.. and feel it's an important wake up call for everyone to be mindful of either changing their user name to become anonymous... or by not posting their avatar photo... if they wish to remain private.

I have disclosed more on here than anywhere else on earth and feel that I can share my experiences and ups plus downs... but I wouldn't want to share any of this information to anyone else in my life... I feel fortunate to have found you all and would respect anyone having to change their name or leave their avatar anonymous... it's very much a choice issue... and we can feel safe and trusting at times... but it's understandable for those that wish to remain private to do so.. as a matter of choice.

I do hope that whoever has suffered any anguish regarding this issue can feel able to lean on us as individuals if they so wish, it's a sensitive issue to discuss weight and some of our topics at such a personal level and I would feel for anyone who found themselves in a position where they feel their privacy is compromised whilst reaching for support... there is a way around it and I know that we share a mutual understanding to support each other on this forum.

Sending love and hugs as always xxx

cherry

i think thats a lil harsh liz esp when it sounds like a person has gone out of there way to snoop and get info by registering themselves... i do agree tho with you saying about only disclosing certain info your not to bothered about others seeing, whatever way you look at it, what they did was sneaky.... my hubbi knows im on here but ive warned him all ready that i dont want him going on here as its my personal time out to talk about the one thing i keep guarded under lock and key.... this is just my opinion tho :) xxx

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
i think thats a lil harsh liz esp when it sounds like a person has gone out of there way to snoop and get info by registering themselves... i do agree tho with you saying about only disclosing certain info your not to bothered about others seeing, whatever way you look at it, what they did was sneaky.... my hubbi knows im on here but ive warned him all ready that i dont want him going on here as its my personal time out to talk about the one thing i keep guarded under lock and key.... this is just my opinion tho :) xxx

worry not Kelly, we are all entitled to our own opinions, i dont expect ppl to agree with me about anything, its down to a individuals thoughts ect, there was no intention to upset you or anyone else, sorry if i offended you x

Last edited:

salski

Thanks for the reminder x

cherry

nooooooo you havent offended me liz! :D just an opinion sweets xx

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group

phatmomma

I have two opinions....

Firstly this is a public forum and if you don't want to be identified then dont put identifying pictures of yourself on here and beware who knows you are on here so as to avoid this....

Secondly, what a nasty sneaky person would go to the trouble of all that sculduggery to snoop on someone...

I hope the member who's 'privacy' has been compromised is not too upset by this but i suspect that as they have taken the time to complain that they will be feeling a tad violated....

But Liz i am agreeing with you also, this tends to be what happens when you put yourself on the world wide web, you become vulnerable...

J-Mo

I personally no longer care about what people see about me as I'm now post op. But I'd have been upset pre-op as for me my weight was very personal & although it still is, it's not as much of a sore point.

Personal things I have disclosed regarding my mother would upset my family but do u what I'd say if any found out? So f**k, it didn't happen to you it happened to me & if you are that bothered you should have done summit to stop it at the time!!

If you snoop into someones personal thoughts & experiences then be prepared to find out things you maybe didn't want to!!

Hopefully this won't deter people from using this fabulous site! But snoops keep out!!

cherry

well said j mo xx

angie790

Thank you Sam for your words reminding everyone re. privacy on this site...I do agree with Liz in the sense that this is of course a 'public forum', and we must all consider that, when we choose to divulge info on what is essentially, a social networking site. However, I also think it is very easy to become very comfortable and at ease on this site with the kind & supportive people we meet on here, and this can inadvertently lead us into complacency in what we might post, forgetting that we are not only amongst close friends....Without knowing the full story, it sounds like someone may have deliberately had their privacy violated, whether intentional or not, and I sincerely hope that this lovely person can with time, get over this breach with the support of their friends. xxxx

Last edited:

Deets

it may be useful to use a third party site such as wordpress/blog.co.uk. You can stop these blogs being read by anyone else other than 'friends' (this means you could vet everyone asking to read your entries before they can). Could wlsurgery came to an arrangement with one particular blog site, so that people registered here could easily link into the blog? Am i getting to technical? :rolleyes: Or asking for the moon on a stick :nightf:

biggy123

Someone must have a really empty sad life if they deliberately go out of their way to snoop on someone and invade their privacy.

I hope that whoever was effected knows that they have lots of 'forum family' on here who care about them.