• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Problems with site

IMac

I’m having a problem with the site adn its been for the past 2 days, in that I’m having trouble logging in (it’s very slow even overnight) then when I click on “recent posts” the sheet that comes up has a very wide first column, a smaller second column and misses part titles in the “thread” of the column so it looks like everything starts at 2 spaces in??
When I click on an individual forum e.g. Cambridge - the sub forum section is fine and right but the threads section goes wacky - the first column with the envelope is there, the rest is blank and about 2 inches wide, then on the thread column in the word sticky is where it should be but then lower down (where the conversation starts the top line is on the right side of the column and the second line is fine it all starts too far to the left
Hope this makes sense! It’s also happened on my laptop (A mac powerbook)...the only changing factor is that I changed service providers at the beginning of Feb (am now with BT and use IE as a browser) and it’s been fine apart from the past 48 hours. I’m not sure whether it’s something I’ve done or what – any help gratefully received.
I’m using the same machines (the desktop is a pc) I’ve always used....any ideas or suggestions as it’s really annoying. I’ve done all the obvious like cleaning out temp folders/cookies etc and my virus/firewall is AVG. I’m using vista ultimate.
With regards

Hi Julie :)

I'll highlight this to Pierce and I'm sure he will come back to you as soon as possible.

Lacey :)

How does this page load for you:

Hetzner Online AG

The formatting of the pages displaying the threads can be affected by long titles, but I do not see anything that could be causing it. Can you see anything that may cause it to be very long?

Pierce

thanks you both for your replies - its all very strange.

The Hetzner online took about 10 seconds to open but it didn't spool his speech very well ??? Oh and it was in German ! why did i open it ?

As for the titles in the top part of the Minimins page they look normal but then the actual threads look like they should have the word "sticky" infront of each title but instead has a gap...regardless of the length of the title.

I'm back on my laptop which is still doing it (but its a mac and it often displays strange quirky things with web pages. The log in is faster than it was and i can now get on the site on this machine.

must be gremlins...

thanks
julie

thanks you both for your replies - its all very strange.

The Hetzner online took about 10 seconds to open but it didn't spool his speech very well ??? Oh and it was in German ! why did i open it ?

As for the titles in the top part of the Minimins page they look normal but then the actual threads look like they should have the word "sticky" infront of each title but instead has a gap...regardless of the length of the title.

I'm back on my laptop which is still doing it (but its a mac and it often displays strange quirky things with web pages. The log in is faster than it was and i can now get on the site on this machine.

must be gremlins...

thanks
julie

The reason i asked you to go to the german site was because that is same service that hosts MiniMins.

The page opens as soon as I click it as do the pages of MiniMins why its not loading quickly for you could be dozzens of things.

I will look into why or what may be causing the space between "Stickies" and the thread title.

Pierce

Its strange as earlier it was showing the spaces when I clicked on user and subscriptions...its nowhere near as fast at loading as the german site and it still takes several attempts to accept my password...tut...I knew i should have stuck to Macs...I've cleared out all things like temp folders and cookies but it doesn't seem to improve anything and i've a shed load of free memory like 660 Gb...
Many thanks. I work nights hence the wacky hours I keep
With regards

You could always try using safari for windows? They released a new version recently version4.

Pierce

Hi there
I've done nothing different but having turned the computer on everything is back to normal. I've no idea why but everything works as it should- who knows what and why but many thanks.
with regards
Julie

ps i've thought about putting Safari on but I'd really prefer a new computer....I've got my eye on a very beautiful Macbook....I'm only about £1,000 short !!!

I have been thinking about this.

Do you see adverts at the top and bottom of thread pages on the pc?

Pierce

not consistantly - sometimes there are loads other times none ? So today there are adverts top and bottom..

not consistantly - sometimes there are loads other times none ? So today there are adverts top and bottom..

thats the only thing that i can think of that would slow the page down.

I.e you would get the page loaded to the bottom of the blue bar, then it would pause?

Pierce

Back