• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery with BMI 38

Besel

Hi all,

I’m meeting with my surgeon for the first time later this week and I’m pretty nervous.

I’ve got high hopes of having a solid conversation with a professional who knows what he is on about as so far, everybody and their dog (including GP and nurses) are all adament I do not need this.
(And I need to get out of my own head and have a proper conversation with somebody.)

I started this journey with a BMI of 40. I managed to get that down to 38 and I’m no longer pre-diabetic.
I’m still flirting with high blood pressure and although it’s gotten a lot better already, I still have frequent joint pains in my back, hips, knees and ankles. And my leg oedema is getting worse.
My energy levels have picked up a bit and so has my self-esteem. But I have no official comorbidities.

I’m seeing this as an investement in myself, nipping any further/future weight related problems in the bud, but I feel like I’m in this crazy twilight zone where I’m really not heavy enough to justify surgery, but way to0 heavy to loose the weight I need to loose on my own.

Has anybody else been in this position and gone ahead (or not)?
Why? Any regrets?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I’m meeting with my surgeon for the first time later this week and I’m pretty nervous.

I’ve got high hopes of having a solid conversation with a professional who knows what he is on about as so far, everybody and their dog (including GP and nurses) are all adament I do not need this.
(And I need to get out of my own head and have a proper conversation with somebody.)

I started this journey with a BMI of 40. I managed to get that down to 38 and I’m no longer pre-diabetic.
I’m still flirting with high blood pressure and although it’s gotten a lot better already, I still have frequent joint pains in my back, hips, knees and ankles. And my leg oedema is getting worse.
My energy levels have picked up a bit and so has my self-esteem. But I have no official comorbidities.

I’m seeing this as an investement in myself, nipping any further/future weight related problems in the bud, but I feel like I’m in this crazy twilight zone where I’m really not heavy enough to justify surgery, but way to heavy to loose the weight I need to loose on my own.

Has anybody else been in this position and gone ahead (or not)?
Why? Any regrets?

Hi
Like you my BMI was 38 and borderline high BP with joint pain and because there were no other issues I had to pay for the op but I was worried if I didn’t do it then I would have ended up with all the issues and more!
So had Bypass in January 16 and now 10 stone lighter with an almost healthy BMI and have to say I do not regret my decision for one minute. Don’t get me wrong it is not a miracle and you still have to work at it but it does give you the tools to do it and it’s ur choices from then on. I can pretty much eat most things and unless it is s treat I always try and choose healthy options meals are small but ok. Happy to answer any questions you have.
Good luck with whatever decision you make

Thanks @tasmine.

That's the other thing that keeps playing on my mind...so many people who are eligible under the NICE guidelines, still get refused the surgery. I feel like I got accepted by the skin of my teeth and that makes me feel like I am so ungrateful every time I mull over the pros and cons and lean towards the cons.

Can I ask, what made you decide to go for a bypass?

Thanks @tasmine.

That's the other thing that keeps playing on my mind...so many people who are eligible under the NICE guidelines, still get refused the surgery. I feel like I got accepted by the skin of my teeth and that makes me feel like I am so ungrateful every time I mull over the pros and cons and lean towards the cons.

Can I ask, what made you decide to go for a bypass?
I originally wanted a sleeve but my surgeon said that had I previously suffered with heartburn he would not recommend it and I accepted that even though the cost was more!!!
Good luck in your journey and if you are lucky enough to get it on the NHS grab it with both hands and look forward not back x

Back